• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Horrorpack] Horror Recommendations Thread III: Bride of the Son of the Good Stuff

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User

"Greetings, guys and ghouls! Feast your eyes on another 2000 posts of the creepiest, the eeriest, the screamiest horror media recommendations... IF YOU DARE!

PREVIOUSLY ON:
[horror] the good stuff - film

TechnocratTJ said:
So for anyone who read all that nonsense what are your recent gems, or just your favorite little known ones. We all ( horror people ) know the big names, and most of the time we catch the controversial splashes ( Antichrist, which eh......). But we all have our favorite obscure discoveries.

Any to share big or small?
"But little did this unwitting poster realise... the horrors that would

[HorrorPack] Film Recommendations Thread II: Dawn of the Good Stuff

Rose Bailey said:
Horror should comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Perhaps you’d reply “But fear isn’t comfortable!” No, it isn’t. But it is inevitable. We all live with fear, to one degree or another. It’s a key motivation to keep on living. But society tells us to bottle it. To put on a brave face for the sake of others, or to hide our own problems because they’re not really important.

Horror lets us take that back. It comforts us by telling us that our fears are valid, that the objects of our terror aren’t fabrications of our cowardice or oversensitivity. It lets us explore the things we’re frightened by in a fantasy context, to experiment with responses to it.

[...]

Horror lets us reclaim the parts of our psyches that have been colonized by those who abuse, oppress, or exploit us. Horror lets us showcase our darkest struggles and tell our audiences “you are not alone.” Horror is a weapon of resistance against a world that can isolate and terrorize us.

So scare. But care.
"But little did these posters suspect, the true horror and depravity to come in... Horror Recommendations Thread III: Bride of the Son of the Good Stuff!"

Owesome

Social Justice Warmonger
Validated User
I don't know if we talked about it yet, but thread darling Mike Flanagan (Absentia, Occulus) has a Stephen King adaptation on the Netflix: Gerald's Game.

Spoiler: Show

[video=youtube;twbGU2CqqQU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twbGU2CqqQU[/video]

This is very much a film that requires some trigger warnings

Spoiler: Show
Sexual abuse, child abuse, incest, rape

and I for one feel the topics are covered sympathetically. This is one of those Stephen King stories where the supernatural is largely in service to the character's emotional journey rather than being the point of the story; Flanagan's skill at eliciting compelling performances and letting the camera linger on them more than is comfortable works very well in this dialogue-driven two-hander character study, along with some stunning visuals.

That said, the film will squeeze your heart and wring all the feels out of it. There is a deneaumont that I feel is 1) the weakest part of the film, but 2) probably very necessary as an emotional palate cleanser. I fully recommend the movie, but it's equally as intense as something like Babadook, so be warned.

bhu

Professional Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Last call fr were critters and nature based horror before next topic.

bhu

Professional Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Our theme for the week is demons

My Noms: Hereditary (cause we all know it's gonna make the list, lol)
Gozu (not so much cause it's great but because it's so wtf am I watching)
Pyewacket
Fear(s) of the Dark
Lo
A Dark Song
Dead Birds
Red Sands
Outcast
Jug Face
Let Us Prey
Under the Shadow
Killing Ariel
Lucky (2002)

Has anyone seen these: The Book of Secrets (2017)
The Scarapist
Demon (2012 and 2015)
Grace's Room
The Shades
The Arc
Twelvepole
Purgatory (2016)
Hatchet County
Luz (2018)
The Ghost Bride

Beyond Reality

Validated User
Definitely seconding Hereditary, Gozu, Lo and Under the Shadow.

Unrelated to the list, anyone seen The Terrifier. I can't take it seriously enough to give it a try but I find myself curious if it's as bad as it looks.

bhu

Professional Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm told it fits the "so bad it's good" theme for some.

GabrielPierce

Not an Infernalist
Validated User
Definitely seconding Hereditary, Gozu, Lo and Under the Shadow.

Unrelated to the list, anyone seen The Terrifier. I can't take it seriously enough to give it a try but I find myself curious if it's as bad as it looks.
The Terrifier is basically a generic slasher film with nothing going for it. No memorable performances, lazy attempts at shock value, just all round boring. You'll see the twist ending coming from miles away and still wonder why they bothered.

Top Bottom