• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[Horrorpack] Horror Recommendations Thread III: Bride of the Son of the Good Stuff

Killer300

Validated User
Rabid wasn't a movie I expected to get a remake, but this doesn't look terrible... though the lines "It spreads like an STD" and "If we don't stop it it could affect all of mankind" probably shouldn't be put right after each other.
To be honest, I don't think it would be hard to improve on the original. I admit, a lot of that is because I'd argue its Cronenberg's worst movie, and I'm sure Hollywood could find a way to make it worse, but... I have a lot more hope for this remake. The trailer already looks like a massive improvement in terms of plot ver the first one, as it doesn't feel like someone decided, "Hey, lets mix an incredibly inefficient Vampire with Zombies!" Yes, in some ways it's still a zombie outbreak, however, they seem to be taking more advantage of having a patient zero viewpoint character, and they're just doing a lot more to setup how the character ends up the way they do. I realize I'm judging a lot by a trailer but, I'm sorry, the original Rabid has always left a really bad taste in my mouth because there are so many decisions it makes I don't understand.

For the sake of comparison, imagine if a remake was announced of a movie you thought utterly failed to live up to its potential, or was maybe really mediocre, and it looked to be going in a bold new direction that at least tried to fix the original's problems. Because to me, Rabids, is that. The character's feeding mechanism doesn't make any plot sense*, the female lead isn't explored enough given her importance to the film, and finally, the zombies are now exhausting because they reflect a trend that is played out without enough innovations. The last could still hurt the remake, but everything else I think they've done a great job of trying to address.

Sorry if this was overly abrasive.

Spoiler: Show
Why would a motorcycle accident lead to a mouth/sucker/what have you in one's armpit? It also strikes me as ludicrously inefficient, because she has to wrap her right arm around anything she feeds on. The parasites in the original Shivers, whatever their scientific plausibility, make a sort of surface level sense because parasites already can alter behavior, and significantly increasing libido, among some other things, is an effect that requires less suspension of disbelief to begin with. For another example, while the Flash's origin has no scientific plausibility at all, being struck by lightening has more... thematic connection, for lack of a better term, than surgery from a motorcycle accident does to getting a mouth in one's armpit. Sorry, just... needed to let that out

Killer300

Validated User
Okay, to change to something more positive, I just watched Death House, from 2017, on Netflix.

It is something. It has an examination of good and evil that doesn't really work when you think about it too long, and outside of that, it feels overstuffed. For the last, at points, it kind of felt like a team-up movie without the buildup necessary to make such a concept work.

With all that said, there are good bits. This movie has some pretty good special effects, and if nothing else, its certainly trying to do something different. I don't think it succeeds, but, however you react to the movie, you aren't going to be bored by it, at least in my opinion. It kind of felt like what I've heard the 2nd season of American Horror Story can be like, where the Asylum becomes this vortex of chaos and insanity, with like fifty plots going on at once, and the Devil possessing someone is an easily forgotten subplot. While this definitely contributes to the movie feeling overstuffed, it also insures it feels fast, as there's constantly new stuff happening in a way that doesn't apply to a lot of other horror movies, and really shows how having some world building can help make a horror movie more interesting, even if its scares don't land.

Speaking of, there were points where the movie felt more like the pilot for a TV series we never got, and the ending sure doesn't help things there. This is odd, given everything I know about this movie's production suggests it was supposed to be a movie, and the movie itself is devoted to a creator who tried for awhile to get it made, from what I understand. So, in a rare case for horror, I'd actually say that Death House would've benefitted from being longer. This may be the only time I say that, but I actually feel comfortable saying Death House would've worked better if it was spread out into at least a mini-series, and I think with some tweaking, could support a full blown TV series, albeit one that is perhaps five seasons at most.

As it is... well, its streaming on Netflix, and I want to know what more experienced horror fans think of it. I partially say this as reviews from sites like Dreadcentral make me think this movie has aspects of being like, an amazing team-up film for genre fans, similar to Triple Threat(setting aside what one thinks of that film), is a big team up film for direct to DVD action fans.

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think it was in her armpit because that's where the surgery was. Or a big part of where the surgery was.

Tamoline

Destroyer of Threads
Validated User
The Perfection is on Netflix, and I did generally enjoy it. It’s very spoiler sensitive though, and I really would suggest not looking up details about it before watching it.

AndersGabrielsson

RPGnet Member
Validated User
My point on finding Rabid unlikely to be remade wasn't because I think it's a great movie, but because it's a fairly old, not very remarkable one. But the patient zero viewpoint character is it's big selling point (unless you have some particular interest in armpit rabies), so I suppose if you want to make a movie like that you might as well attach a name to it that will draw in some more viewers.

Killer300

Validated User
I think it was in her armpit because that's where the surgery was. Or a big part of where the surgery was.
... Huh. I don't remember that, but, to be fair, I haven't watched it in awhile.

My point on finding Rabid unlikely to be remade wasn't because I think it's a great movie, but because it's a fairly old, not very remarkable one. But the patient zero viewpoint character is it's big selling point (unless you have some particular interest in armpit rabies), so I suppose if you want to make a movie like that you might as well attach a name to it that will draw in some more viewers.
Ah, k.

Top Bottom