• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

[Houses of the Blooded] Preview

Saint&Sinner

Validated User
Download the cool preview of Houses of the Blooded http://www.housesoftheblooded.com/ (links at the bottom of the page)

This uses some ideas from FATE (such as Aspects) and some ideas from story games (narration and story emphasis). It looks like this will be a smokin' good time.

Along with Dresden Files this was one of the games I was most excited about this year. Can't wait to see the finished product. Rumor is that the physical book may have some neat features also....

FruitSmack

Validated User
Awesome!

I'm an unabashed John Wick fanboi and this is probably one of the few games in the pipe that I'm drooling over.

aaron

Matt-M-McElroy

What Are You Afraid Of?
Validated User
I haven't had the chance to do much more than skim the first section of the preview...but what I have read looks pretty awesome.

I definitely like House of the Serpent and House of the Wolf the best, but all of them could make for some interesting characters.

Regards,

Matt

cczernia

Hail To The Thief
Validated User
I got to play in a demo of it during Orccon and it was a lot of fun. It was a nice balance between GM and player control. One of my favorite parts was the Wisdom roll in which for each extra success you get to add an detail to something that your character might know about.

So, instead of asking the GM what you know about land, person, item you get to tell him.

ElectricPaladin

Candle in the Dark
Having read the preview, I am excited, though not entirely sold. The system looked a little complicated to me, with four whole sets of narration rules (standard, conflict, duel, and mass murder) that have only a little to do with each other, both aspects and blessings, season actions, and on and on. My quick read-through seems to indicate that the system will be easier to play than it is to read, since some of the concepts (wagering, the relationship between wagering and narration) seem consistent, but I am withholding judgment.

I am also going to assume that the gods/ancestor spirits (the in-game title escapes me) and the blessings they grant, as well as the relationship between seasons and aspects and the difference between Death and Solace - and what Solace is in the first place - will be explained in the finished product.

I've been looking forward to this ever since I heard Jon Wick interviewed on Sam Chupp's podcast. If I buy this in the end, it will be a good example of the power of podcasting, since I wouldn't have looked twice at it otherwise.

Anyway, I am cautiously optimistic. When the houses of the blooded forums come online I'll be able to gather a few more clues, and when the book goes to print, I'll be able to make my final decision.

tear44

Validated User
Anyway, I am cautiously optimistic. When the houses of the blooded forums come online I'll be able to gather a few more clues, and when the book goes to print, I'll be able to make my final decision.
I am kinda in the same position. I have been following the development of this game via Wick's LJ and his various Podcast interviews.

I get the feeling that the demo just dips it's toe in to the deep lake that is Houses of the Blooded.

But, I'll probably pre-order it when it becomes available.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
John ran many sessions of this at OrcCon.

I never got to play and that was my loss since everyone raved about it. I mean, John is an excellent GM so people saying they loved the games was to be expected....but people were praising the system, too. Supposedly it was pitched as anti-D&D but more than one person I talked said it was World of Darkness "done right".

Top Bottom