• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

How did Eclipse Phase do so much better then Cthulhutech?

CowboyEnergy

Validated User
I know that there's some perception that they are kind of duelling games. In that they were released relatively close together and are both Lovecraftian horror games set in the future. However, it seems that Eclipse Phase came out of nowhere and totally stole CTech's thunder and...well, has sold more despite being actually being free?

So I'm kind of interested in how EP ended up dominating CTech when Posthuman Studios has literally given their stuff away for free. Maybe I'm wrong, since it's not like we'd have access to either of their sales records, but that's the impression I've been getting.

No flames, please. If I'm mistaken, then please explain in a civilized manner.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
However, it seems that Eclipse Phase came out of nowhere and totally stole CTech's thunder and...well, has sold more despite being actually being free?
Did it? Do you have numbers? Or it this just a perception based on the extremely small sample of posters here on rpg.net?

CowboyEnergy

Validated User
Did it? Do you have numbers? Or it this just a perception based on the extremely small sample of posters here on rpg.net?
Well, here and SomethingAwful and the fact that CTech hasn't released anything in about a year and Posthuman just released Rimward which went Gold on DTRPG last I checked, which was some weeks ago.

Mr. Kent

The Oh Em Gee
Validated User
If that's true, I'm not sure why. Personally, I've read and played in both games, and prefer EP because I'm not big on Lovecraftian stuff. However, I know that lots of people love Lovecraft, and then combo that with space...I'd think CTech would do quite well. If it hasn't, that's a surprise.

DisgruntleFairy

Validated User
Well its not unreasonable to say that the fact that it was excellently written and free certainly did help Eclipse Phase. It results in very low buy in costs and therefore more people willing to try it. Once they tried it they wanted more and were willing to pay for it.

Mr. Kent

The Oh Em Gee
Validated User
Well, here and SomethingAwful and the fact that CTech hasn't released anything in about a year and Posthuman just released Rimward which went Gold on DTRPG last I checked, which was some weeks ago.
Maybe the fact they haven't released anything more for CTech isn't doom and gloom--they might have legit reasons for delay, or are working on something big. Not sure if they are, but I'll look into it...

Matsci

Magical Item like these are neat. I collect them.
Validated User
The difference is that with each new book that comes out, Eclipse Phase becomes cooler and cooler, while Ctech became stupider and stupider.

Also, Eclipse Phase has a functional rules system.

CowboyEnergy

Validated User
I've always felt that admitting bias straight-up is good practice, so I'm going to come out and say that I prefer Eclipse Phase to CTech. I just think it's interesting how this happened and is an interesting case-study in opposed business practices.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
I've always felt that admitting bias straight-up is good practice, so I'm going to come out and say that I prefer Eclipse Phase to CTech. I just think it's interesting how this happened and is an interesting case-study in opposed business practices.
I dont think the fact that its "happened" has been sufficiently established, considering "its sold better" is based on basically zero evidence

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
C-Tech was published a year earlier than Eclipse Phase so comparing them on contemporary releases is flawed.

Also, Matthew Grau, publisher and chief writer, got a day job with Riot Games that pays really, really well and I'm betting he's focused on that rather than an rpg which probably didn't put much food on his table.

Top Bottom