• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

How do you get started with Mechaton?

agony

Validated User
Like, I know my group would love Mechaton. We were in love with legos as a kid and love mini games. We also unanimously worship Vincent Baker.

My issue is I don't know how to start. Like, my brother and I have a crap-ton of legos still at our parents house. I would guess around 30 pounds worth (literally) mixed of old pirate stuff, medieval, a little bit of the western sets when they first came out, and random other stuff. Will we be able to build frames out of these or do we need special sets from Lego.com?

If we need special sets, what would be the rough amount of cash we'd expect to drop for a group of say 4-5 people to have different mech choices and options?

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
How to start building you mean? I bought a couple of the old, small creator sets, like these and threw some parts together. You can see some of them on page 7 and page 9 of my Flickr stream. We're also talking about frame design over in this thread here. It even conatins some part lists.

agony

Validated User
Yes, I'm not asking about technique I was more concerned with if mech designs in mechaton generally require special parts. I haven't read Mechaton or purchased it yet, so I'm trying to feel out if I will need to buy more stuff or if our huge collection from 15 years ago will be enough.

I basically don't want to start playing the game if it's going to cost us a lot of money as we have too many other games/hobbies going on. If I can just dive into our old sets and we're golden, well then I'd definitely give it a go.

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
Yes, I'm not asking about technique I was more concerned with if mech designs in mechaton generally require special parts. I haven't read Mechaton or purchased it yet, so I'm trying to feel out if I will need to buy more stuff or if our huge collection from 15 years ago will be enough.
I guess it all depends. Here and here are a couple of parts lists for what some people consider essential for creating mechs for Mechaton.

I basically don't want to start playing the game if it's going to cost us a lot of money as we have too many other games/hobbies going on. If I can just dive into our old sets and we're golden, well then I'd definitely give it a go.
Dude, it's Lego. If you like building at all you will want to get more parts as you learn more techniques and build more things.

Last edited:

agony

Validated User
Those links are perfect. From memory I know I have most of those except the Technic stuff. Thanks Mantis.

Phasma Felis

Registered Luser
Validated User
Honestly, I think the best way to answer that question is to sit down with your group and your Legos and spend a couple of hours building mechs. If you can get enough plastic soldiers together for a game, rock on. If not, you've just spent a few hours playing with Legos with your friends. It's win-win! :)

BTW, if you do decide to buy specific parts, BrickLink is probably cheaper than Lego.com Pick-a-Brick, and the selection is certainly better. Many common pieces can be had for around 5-15 cents, so you can easily kit out a dozen "naked" frames for $20 or so, or put in a good stock of one or two important pieces for much less. Here's some more parts lists.

Has anyone seen a parts list for the original Mechaton jobby, BTW? Looked like a Chucker, but had a 2x1 transparent slope for the cockpit?

Mantisking

BosTan Cat Herder
Validated User
Honestly, I think the best way to answer that question is to sit down with your group and your Legos and spend a couple of hours building mechs. If you can get enough plastic soldiers together for a game, rock on. If not, you've just spent a few hours playing with Legos with your friends. It's win-win! :)
That's some good advice.

Has anyone seen a parts list for the original Mechaton jobby, BTW? Looked like a Chucker, but had a 2x1 transparent slope for the cockpit?
The Classic? There's one right here.

Top Bottom