How Fate of Cthulhu (currently on Kickstarter) is doing something with mythos storytelling I've not seen before.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
I don't think that cosmic horror requires us to be doomed right now, in the story at hand.
Sure, my post was in response to the idea of optimism being that an actual lasting victory was possible, inevitable doom feels like a key component of cosmic horror for me.

The Unshaven

Validated User
Just occurred to me that Eclipse Phase might be another point of inspiration for a win-condition post-apocalypse that the travellers are trying to either achieve (or preserve, Kyle Reese style).

The whole world is a blasted, incomprehensible post-Singularity disaster-zone and billions of lives were lost... but the survivors of humanity adapted to transhuman existence among the stars.

And I can totally imagine Firewall sending someone back to protect its timeline.

...that would be super-extremely Terminator. It really, really would.

Spook

Burn the Heretic. Purge the unclean.
Validated User
Still seems like the entire premise is at the sufferance of the Great Race, who can time travel better then you, and have near perfect intelligence gathering capabilities. Humanity ends up a minor foot note in their great libraries.

Blackwingedheaven

Crystal Human
Validated User
Still seems like the entire premise is at the sufferance of the Great Race, who can time travel better then you, and have near perfect intelligence gathering capabilities. Humanity ends up a minor foot note in their great libraries.
That's some extra-strength cosmic nihilism right there. XD

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
I dunno, man. I'm personally eager to use the game to run something that is Lovecraftian but not actually Mythos, with a timeline I build myself, that runs more along the lines of a weird fusion between Village of the Damned and Invasion of the Body-Snatchers. (Which ... now that I think about it ... could potentially get turned into a Yithian storyline by someone much more faithfully committed to the actual mythos than I am.)

I'm excited about what the game can do for Cthulhu, but I'm almost more excited about what the game can do for people looking to do something original with it.
Fred, I wouldn't want to bet on this or anything, but I have a feeling that over the next couple of years we're going to see an eruption of FoC riffs to be a good neighbor to the one we got after Adventure, leading up to the setting where all the various medieval European monastic orders had martial arts like their wuxia counterparts and the Hundred Years' War got really weird. There's something about the mix of elements that lends itself to bizarre, wonderful invention.

...if your setting has the Great Race, and if they're present in this epoch. Neither's a given - people always leave stuff out of Lovecraftian riffs, often for very good reasons, and honestly, he very explicitly never tried to put it all in one box, even near the end.

(This is where I pause to mention Cassandra Khaw's very excellent novella "Hammer on Bone", with a modern-day London succumbing to Mythos corruption. It's got a brief but brilliant look at the condition of the Great Race that keeps haunting me.)

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
See, right there you're hitting into some of what I really like about the core premise of Terminator. They even started to touch on it some, to my vast delight, in the criminally canceled Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Good stuff. Serve it right up, I'll bring my spoon.
The SCC was a lot of fun. And I can't help but love a show that has the singer of Garbage as a super badass. Really enjoyable, and very sad that it didn't last longer.

It also has a nice thing where you're never quite sure how sapient Terminators are. Like, is Cameron a person? Or is she just so well programmed to display a sense of self that, when she starts to glitch, that part of the programming continues to function?

It seems like there are some potential variations of that to bring from SCC to this. Actual robots from the future. People so infected with Mythos goo that there's a serious doubt what they are anymore. Etc.

Good stuff.

Just occurred to me that Eclipse Phase might be another point of inspiration for a win-condition post-apocalypse that the travellers are trying to either achieve (or preserve, Kyle Reese style).

The whole world is a blasted, incomprehensible post-Singularity disaster-zone and billions of lives were lost... but the survivors of humanity adapted to transhuman existence among the stars.

And I can totally imagine Firewall sending someone back to protect its timeline.

...that would be super-extremely Terminator. It really, really would.
I hadn't thought of that, but it seems so obvious in retrospect.

Bruce Redux

Not flying or biting
Validated User
I love the idea of the Eclipse Phase future as one to fix. You could throw in one of its major inspirations, John Varley's Eight Worlds setting, too.

The Unshaven

Validated User
I love the idea of the Eclipse Phase future as one to fix. You could throw in one of its major inspirations, John Varley's Eight Worlds setting, too.
Yay, glad that works!

Of course the scarier thing for me is that if its future is the one that's worth protecting, because the alternatives are worse.

Uthred

Nature's critical miss
Validated User
The idea of Eclipse Phase as a possible future to prevent is cool and also opens up the approach that basically any near or dark future could easily be explained/re-interpreted in the same light.

Top Bottom