How should I store my minis?

CharlesWallace

Validated User
I’m building up quite a collection of minis and I’d like to find some way to store them. We have lots of book shelves in our game room, so something that fits on shelves would be nice. Does anyone have a suggestion?

Mono X

Validated User
Do you intend to move your minis around a lot? Do you have a budget in mind?

Eventually I settled on KR Multicase. Basically it's layers of foam in cardboard cases, the foam can be of different sizes and thickness to accommodate different sized minis. Additionally they produce bags and hard cases which can be used to easily transport the cardboard cases - this is important to me as I don't use my minis at home currently and need to move them around. But it's not what I'd call cheap, but I paint at a slow rate so don't need to buy many cases.

I've seen people use 'Really Useful Boxes'. There are some quite shallow 'tray' style boxes which can be used to store minis in stacks. I've recently seen several companies creating inserts for the 9 litre boxes. I've not tried this method.

I've heard of using magnetic tape to create magnetic bases for mins and storing them in tin boxes, but I've never seen it.

Hope this helps.

komradebob

Validated User
Before you start hitting the sites selling boxes specifically for gaming minis, consider hitting the hardware store and looking at what they sell. You probably want to start in the part of the store where they have "small parts boxes" and tool boxes/bags. While none of that stuff is padded ( you'll need to figure that out on your own),it can get you started with storage at a generally much lower cost.

For larger miniatures, around this time of year stores that sell X-Mas decorations often also sell ornament storage boxes of different kinds. Those are worth looking into. If you're a bit of a gambler, you can hold off buying those until Boxing Day, when they should go onto deep discount.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I’ve had some good results with relatively flat plastic clamshell boxes aimed at crafters and intended to hold scrapbooks, photos, photo albums and art papers.

Many of them are just about 3cm thick. With a layer or two of bubble wrap above and below, they hold human-sized minis securely. I like the ones intended for a small stack of 5x7 inch photos as they are (for my purposes) just the right size for an adventuring party or an encounter of four to seven individuals.

vitus979

RPGnet Member
Validated User
If you don't care about the paint job, I suggest a fishing tackle box or a Plano box. If you do care, like Mono X, I ended up going with KR Multicase. Another option that I've tried out is Game Plus bags and trays. You can often get them on better sales than KR Multicase IME, and I actually like their pick-and-pluck trays slightly better than what KR Multicase offers. I'll also mention that Battle Foam is the other large player in this market space. I don't have any direct experience with them.

Be aware that KR and Battle Foam tend to be expensive, especially for larger collections of figs.

Per Andersson

Tired and emotional
Validated User
Some hardware stores have customizable foam inserts for boxes of different sizes, and I believe some of the mini storage companies also sell such products.

Gilladian

Validated User
All these suggestions are for storing your minis away. If younwant display shelves, look for narrow tiered racks used for things like thimbles and other small collectibles.

Arethusa

Sophipygian
RPGnet Member
Validated User
All these suggestions are for storing your minis away. If younwant display shelves, look for narrow tiered racks used for things like thimbles and other small collectibles.
There are also racks intended for nail polish which are good for slightly larger minis (and paint bottles).

CharlesWallace

Validated User
Oh wow, thanks everyone! Since the request for a storage solution is coming from my wife, I'll show her the options you all have suggested and see what she thinks. I know she'll want to reign in the cost a bit, so the KR multicases may be out. And honestly, I'm not going to travel with these minis, I'll just use them at home. Nail polish racks are something I never would have thought of- maybe that will work well. I'll look up Game Plus bags and trays too. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Super helpful!

synistar

Validated User
The Plano Lockjaw cases (one sided) are my favorite generic storage. For $10-15 bucks, I can store large sets of X-Wing Minis or my entire Battletech mini collection (about 55 models) in a single case. It is best for mixed sizes though. Also, metal minis may not fare as well since there is no built in padding.

Top Bottom