• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

How to FATE Eclipse Phase?

The Pat

Validated User
Hi all,

being a recent FATE convert and looking into having mey next campaign in Eclipse Phase, I am looking on advise on how to "FATE" this setting.

My basic idea:
Ego is defined by Skills and 6 Aspects
Morph is defined by 2 additional Aspects and stunts/powers

Stunts/Powers reduce fate refresh as in DFRPG; starting refresh is 10.

Any thoughts? Which FATE resources should I use for skills, equipment etc. that match the EP setting?

Thanks for feedback and advice
-- Pat

Mechalus

Validated User
Hi all,

being a recent FATE convert and looking into having mey next campaign in Eclipse Phase, I am looking on advise on how to "FATE" this setting.

My basic idea:

Any thoughts? Which FATE resources should I use for skills, equipment etc. that match the EP setting?

-- Pat
You might want to sign up for playtesting Strands of Fate. One of the goals of Strands was to make it as easy as possible to run other types of games using FATE. It includes a section devoted to the transhuman genre.

While that section isn't a perfect 1=1 conversion of EP to FATE, I was thinking about EP as I wrote it. It should be pretty much exactly what you need, and Strands also features all the stats you'd need for sci-fi weapons, equipment, body augmentations, nanite swarms, space ship rules, Augmented Reality, etc.

You can sign up for playtesting here.

Matt Greenfelder

former armageddonsock
Validated User
Hi all,

My basic idea:

-- Pat
I'd start with Diaspora (hard, soft and digital versions available) - it's a hard(ish) science fiction FATE game that already has a lot of the bells and whistles that'd help in playing a Eclipse Phase game in my opinion. SRD is available here.

While your initial idea of just having Morphs represented with Aspects/stunts seems like a neat way to look at it, there is a minor problem with the fact that, in most FATE games, some skills represent resilience and affect the Stress track of characters (Stamina in Diaspora, Endurance in Spirit of the Century). Having that tied to an Ego might not sit right with people - I can understand why.

There are various ways to alter that, but this is a rough swag at what I would do.

Represent the Ego and the Morph as two Scopes (introduced formally here and discussed here). I would give both Ego and Morph a distinct set of skills that they can take (things like Guns, Weapons, Stamina for Morphs, stuff like Academics, Piloting, Engineering for Egos) and allow players to combine the two as they like.

You could still have an Ego that happens to be a really good combatant, even when in a Morph that doesn't have a high combat skill - that's where your Aspects come in and let the Ego's experience and aptitude for that area push the limited Morph beyond its meager abilities. The same works inversely, as well, allowing an Ego's predisposition or limited understanding to work against it even if it is inhabiting a Morph with a high skill rating - compel an appropriate Aspect.

I'd have to look at the skill list for a while to decide where the divide should really be - MicroG (ability to get around without real gravity) seems like a natural pick for a Morph skill, but I can see some arguments for making it an Ego skill.

Just some thoughts.

EDIT: Ah hah. Two threads, same subject...

cczernia

Hail To The Thief
Validated User
I'm currently running a FATE game loosely based off of Eclipse Phase (no singularity or aliens) and using Diaspora. I've more or less done what everyone suggested and gave all morphs two aspects and one stunt or two stunts and one aspect.

The one extra thing I did was create morph sheets that get clipped to the Diaspora character sheet with a paper clip and easily swapped out. They are a lot of fun.

http://zerneeak.com/rpgwiki/index.php?title=Transhuman_Diaspora

Brad J. Murray

VSCA
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Okay that's really cool, cczernia! The number of variations on Diaspora just kills me -- I mean, we wrote it knowing full well people would hack it (which is why there is so much design information in it -- those still have tool marks on them for a reason) but the range of stuff people are making with it blows me away.

LucitasBastardChilde

Rabble Rouser
Validated User
Okay that's really cool, cczernia! The number of variations on Diaspora just kills me -- I mean, we wrote it knowing full well people would hack it (which is why there is so much design information in it -- those still have tool marks on them for a reason) but the range of stuff people are making with it blows me away.
I made an Exalted conversion with it! I love Diaspora!

Hjorimir

Retired User
Diaspora is awesome, so I wouldn't dare suggest it is a bad direction to go. That said, I also suggest you take up the opportunity to at least look at Strands of Fate for its Transhumanism implementation as it is pretty darn snazzy.

David J Prokopetz

Social Justice Henchman
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My basic idea:

Personally, I'd go five and two for Aspects - most recent Fate variants go for seven total Aspects rather than ten. Beyond that, the only other necessary hack I can see is that you'd have to rework the skill tree somewhat to prune out the trappings that depend primarily on physical characteristics (like the Might trappings for Athletics). It's not a huge deal, since Fate skill trees are fairly flexible.

In terms of unnecessary hacks, I'd be inclined to encourage players to make one of their morph's two Aspects a behavioural/personality Aspect. The Eclipse Phase core book talks about how your morph can strongly affect your ego's personality and behaviour, but there's no mechanical support for this, mostly because Eclipse Phase doesn't have a robust subsystem for personality mechanics. Fate, however, suffers from no such lack. You might implement this using general Aspect categories, so one Fury-user's hyperaggression might manifest as "There's No Such Thing As Overkill", while another could end up with "Anger Management Problems".

Last edited:

The Pat

Validated User
Thanks for your input.

I will definitely get the Diaspor pdf now and take it from there (using the other sources you pointed me to)

As for your comments on "physical/bodily" skills - yes, those will have to be linked to the Morp. I will have to find a way to also attach a "refresh cost" to the different levels for these skills.

Overall, I want to keep this as lean as possible.

Thanks again, Pat

Top Bottom