• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

How to Win a D&D Tournament

Have you ever played a D&D tournament?

• Yes, I have played and won!

Votes: 8 14.3%
  • Yes, I have played, but never won.

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • No, I have never played a D&D tourney

Votes: 45 80.4%

• Total voters

travisjhall

Retired User
Some tourneys are character interaction focused where you have secrets that must be maintained for some or all of the event. Sometimes characters are given secret motivations or hidden goals. These will be listed on the character sheet and usually the secretive nature of the tourney will be explained first by the DM.
Around here, that last is far from true. Here, most RPG tournament events are about the same sort of games you'd expect to play in non-tournament environments. You're expected to read the character sheet and play the character as indicated. If you're character sheet doesn't indicate that you knew the other characters well at the start of play, you wouldn't be telling the other players everything about your character at the start of play. (Besides, if they were supposed to know something, they'd have it on their character sheets.) Sometimes you might get a further warning from the GM, but that's when the secrecy is particularly important, even above the norm.

We do have RPGA events here, and those are a different kettle of fish - so much so that many players avoid RPGA events, or avoid non-RPGA events.

Nina

The former
RPGnet Member
No. All RPGs should be in Open.
Hi Spinachcat,

First, your thread has been moved to the correct forum.

Second, this is an official warning for purposely violating Rule 3. If you do it again, you'll be facing a suspension.

Nina

Matthew

SquareMans
Validated User
My group played and won a couple of D&D tournaments at the local Strategicons here in Los Angeles. It was a lot of fun!

For those confused; here's how it works.

Each round of the tournament is a different adventure. Each group plays through the same adventure at the same time, with GMs from the event staff.

After the game is done, the GMs compare notes and see which group did better.

"Doing better" comes in all shapes and sizes, but generally speaking;

Negotiation is worth more points than fighting.

Between two groups who otherwise make all the same decisions, the group that uses the fewest resources will win.

Bonuses are awarded for inventiveness and roleplaying, and there's often clues and puzzle solving for the players to figure out.

But, really, its not much different than playing normal D&D. There are lots of modules in which a score is kept of one sort or another, usually to establish some world event. Like in the Red Hand of Doom. "If the players do A, then the enemy loses 5 conquest points. If they do B, the enemy gains 5 points" etc...

Or in Night Below where, as I recall, each faction would help or hinder the PCs depending on whether the PCs did A, B, or C.

Competitive D&D is just like that, except the faction is the GM, keeping score of your decisions.

Top Bottom