How unrealistic are mega dungeons?

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Okay, who looked at that and immediately started putting together a random encounter table for the inside of that place in their head?

Valfader

Heavy metal hippie
Validated User
Okay, who looked at that and immediately started putting together a random encounter table for the inside of that place in their head?
My first thought was actually "what sort of traps would the defenders have made?". But, yeah. That was my second thought.

Flexi

The Solitary Knight
Validated User
I did. The whole place screams of kobold, jermlaine and svirfneblin to me.
Quarmall is downward tall.

Crinos

Validated User
I did. The whole place screams of kobold, jermlaine and svirfneblin to me.
Quarmall is downward tall.
Now me, I look at that and I think undead. It says in the article this underground city was dug out as a sort of primitive shelter against natural disasters. So maybe people did go down there, and stayed so long they had to resort to cannibalism, eventually becoming Ghouls. With a few Ghasts and Wights thrown in for good measure.

Then of course they opened up a passage to the underdark (Because 18 levels deep? That's more than deep enough for Underdark me thinks), so the lower levels are patrolled by roving bands of Duergar, Drow and Kuo Toa, looking for potential slaves and human sacrifices to their dark gods.

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
The unrealistic thing is probably not the dungeon itself, but the 2d8 vampires next to the room with the blue dragon right after the kobold enclave.

Crinos

Validated User
The unrealistic thing is probably not the dungeon itself, but the 2d8 vampires next to the room with the blue dragon right after the kobold enclave.
Not really.

The Kobolds worship the Dragon, who rents out the adjacent cave to the Vampires, who pay them any of the magic items they get from their victims (And because they are a useful buffer against adventurers, who they energy drain to make weak enough to feed to the dragons.)

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
You would made that sound logical no mater what kind of species I had used, wouldn't you? ;)

Crinos

Validated User
You would made that sound logical no mater what kind of species I had used, wouldn't you? ;)
I spend a lot of time trying to figure out how to work stuff like this.

Anyone can stuff random monsters into a dungeon, but a Good GM can also come up with a backstory as to why they are living where they are and how they interact with one another.

Top Bottom