• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

How would you do Fate Wuxia using Fate Core?

Extrakun

Tinker of Games
Validated User
With the Fate Core kickstarter on-going (and its draft available), I have been thinking of how I would do Wuxia with Fate...

• Should the usual wire-fu stunts be modelled with actual stunts, or with just a very good score rating (like Athletics at Legendary?)
  • How to handle the different kung-fu styles and techniques that those shows always have?
  • Should there be a sub-system for Chi and Chi powers?

I have been toying with splitting Fate points into a Yin/Yang pool, with Yin Fate Points to be spent on Aspects which emphasis reaction, speed and awareness, while Yang Fate Points to be spent on Aspects which emphasis force, pro-activity and otherwise 'loud' actions. However, this sort of put a wrinkle into the Fate Points economy - when others tag your Aspect, which type of FP will you get, Yin or Yang?

Or I could model Yin/Yang as a stress track and using Chi powers works like Dresden Files (IIRC) - if you want to push yourself, you accumulate stress. You can also use the Yang stress track to block or soak attacks, with the Yin stress track to dodge or avoid attacks.

cesarld

Validated User
I'm focusing more on the fighting styles. Since I'm still reading the Core, things may change, but right now my system breaks martial arts in a few basic elements (strike, block, movement, 'grapple' and focus, like the old SF:RPG), using two skill pyramids. One for 'normal skills', other for those elements.

Wire-fu is movement and you get to run on water and all that without having to spend anything. Since every martial artist is able to do these, they shouldn't have to spend points.

I'm still thinking if each martial style should have a high concept and a trouble, like 'Fast as Lightning' and 'Overly Exhaustive'.

Nessalantha

Validated User
I'm already mulling over stealing the skills as powers idea from Legends of Anglerre and the superpowered tiers from Strange FATE to create superpowered characters. So, (random off the top of my head stuff) Raging Dragon Style would be a skill that basically works like Fighting, but you can tack on different different ways to overcome and obstacle or add an advantage. Roar of the Dragon could deafen or disorient and opponent, or maybe you could set someone on fire with a maneuver. Stunts would be things like the ability to breathe fire at range (maybe for a Fate Point), or a leaping/jumping chain that eventually leads to the ability to fly.

Obviously, I'm still mulling this over, and I also have to finish reading the PDF, but these are some things I'm considering as I leaf through it.

fantomx11

Validated User
Wire-fu is movement and you get to run on water and all that without having to spend anything. Since every martial artist is able to do these, they shouldn't have to spend points.
That sounds like a good candidate for a stunt. Every martial artist may be able to do that, but not every person (even main characters if they aren't martial artists). So they should have to buy that ability at character creation/advancement, but not necessarily pay a Fate Point each time they use it.

I'm still thinking if each martial style should have a high concept and a trouble, like 'Fast as Lightning' and 'Overly Exhaustive'.
If you wanted crunchy martial arts styles, you can go with different stunts that add special maneuvers, but the stunts have prerequisites. For instance you could have a (I'm no wuxia guy so my example may not be correct) Hadouken stunt that requires you to have the Ansatsuken stunt as a prerequisite. The Ansatsuken stunt would provide the Aspects you were talking about that describe the general characteristics of the martial arts style (I would say two or three Aspects that describe the fighting style overall, its strengths, and its weaknesses), and the Hadouken stunt allows you to throw chi energy at an opponent in an adjacent zone.

cesarld

Validated User
That sounds like a good candidate for a stunt. Every martial artist may be able to do that, but not every person (even main characters if they aren't martial artists). So they should have to buy that ability at character creation/advancement, but not necessarily pay a Fate Point each time they use it.
It's a genre thing. Every main character that is a martial artist should be able to do wire-fu. And since I'm trying to adapt Dragon Fist (where every player character is a martial artist), it's seems normal that everyone would be able to do it. Maybe as a free stunt that every major character gets.

If you wanted crunchy martial arts styles, you can go with different stunts that add special maneuvers, but the stunts have prerequisites. For instance you could have a (I'm no wuxia guy so my example may not be correct) Hadouken stunt that requires you to have the Ansatsuken stunt as a prerequisite. The Ansatsuken stunt would provide the Aspects you were talking about that describe the general characteristics of the martial arts style (I would say two or three Aspects that describe the fighting style overall, its strengths, and its weaknesses), and the Hadouken stunt allows you to throw chi energy at an opponent in an adjacent zone.
Unh, that's a good idea. Every secret society in DF has at least one particular ability. The first stunt could give this ability, and the others would unlock more or generic abilities.

fantomx11

Validated User
I just had another idea (from Guild Wars). You could create chains of stunts that work together to create combos. For instance:

Jagged Strike (Lead Attack)
Uses 1 Chi
If using a weapon and this attack causes a Consequence, it is a Bleeding consequence and deals 1 stress to your opponent each round until the bleeding is stopped.

Lotus Strike (Off-hand Attack)
Uses 1 Chi. This move must follow a Lead Attack
Any stress for this attack is dealt to your opponent's Chi Stress Track instead of to their Physical Stress Track.

cesarld

Validated User
How could I change the mob rules, to better work in a Wuxia setting? As written, six nameless thugs with Fighting +1 would roll with a +6 to hit a martial artist. That doesn't seem genre appropriate.

Maybe the teamwork rules would not work for nameless characters in a wuxia setting?

Cloud Divider

Validated User
The best Wuxia sessions I've ever had tended to be the ones where I provided the most freedom to operate, narratively speaking. Once everyone's on the same page as to "how much CGI/SFX" are appropriate (movie-version Crouching Tiger is less SFX-laden than day, Wind and Cloud/Storm Riders), it's been way more fun to just let them go, rather than anchor them down because "they don't have the Stunt/Feat for that." Want to punch through that wall and have the debris hit the goon inside? Just roll high on your Gangnam Style dance-fu.

Given how the range bands work in Fate, assuming anyone (with Strong Kung Fu) can fling a close ranged chi-blast, like the Hadouken, is not a bad idea. A Stunt that lets you Hadouken a guy 100m away, or on the next mountain makes some sense. Got henchmen? Stunt. REALLY gratuitous collateral damage from using your Kung Fu? Maybe a Stunt, maybe better as an Aspect.

The one Wuxia game I ran at a con years ago, using a REALLY simplified Heroquest (everyone had about 10-12 abilities, treated like keywords) was the hands-down best wuxia- or chanbara-styled game I've ever ran (Exalted 1e, a de-Creationified Exalted 1e for a more Dynasty Warriors-inspired game, Savage Worlds, etc), by a huge margin. Precisely because the players had the narrative freedom to do all the cool stuff you see in Wuxia, so long as it was appropriate to the character.

We had chi beams, exploding teahouses, shattering rock garden boulders, running up/along walls, martial arts that literally chewed up the scenery, and so on. Even a debate between old friends, now rivals, on whose style was philosophically better.

And none of us had actually played HQ before (I'd just read a bunch of threads/actual plays). So we were probably playing it wrong in a lot of ways. But what came out was oh so right.

Last edited:

TheMouse

garmonbozia
Validated User
How could I change the mob rules, to better work in a Wuxia setting? As written, six nameless thugs with Fighting +1 would roll with a +6 to hit a martial artist. That doesn't seem genre appropriate.

Maybe the teamwork rules would not work for nameless characters in a wuxia setting?
From playing and running Strange Fate (which has similar mook rules) I've found that it's really, really hard to mow through mooks unless the PCs seriously outclass them. Like, by two Tiers; a single Tier generally means you'll win, but it'll take you several actions; being on the same Tier means you slowly lose, because you can't match their bonuses.

My solution is to pretend the mook rules don't exist and to stat up a crowd of mooks as an enemy. A single mob is a single entity mechanically. They look something like this:

Students of the Rising Sun School
Fight +3, Athletics +2, Alertness +2
Stress 000

Then you can give them stuff to round them out, depending on your needs. Using Strange Fate, I might give them small weapon or armour bonus, a Gift, maybe (maybe) a Tier, and either Spray or Zone (depending on how big a mob they are). I made up a version of Spray just for crowds of mooks where they get to attack exactly two targets, but at no penalty; it lets them attack a couple of PCs at once without having stupid high skills or stupid low skills.

Obviously, you adjust things as you need them.

Another suggestion was to change the gang up bonus. Rather, you change the number you need to get each bonus. Instead of a 1:1, you use this:

Average: three +1, five +2, eight +3, eleven +4
Fair: two +1, three +2, five +3
Good: two +1, three +2

It's slightly more forgiving, because you need more mooks per crowd to build the big bonuses. Then, if you determined the number of people logically present first -- rather than just making sure there are enough for the bonus you want -- there'll be fewer crowds, so the PCs can gang up on the crowds of mooks more often.

Cloud Divider

Validated User

Inverse Ninja Principle? A mob of nameless minions is essentially a scene prop. No matter how many there are, they roll Fighting. If its a couple of Goon Squad Leaders, maybe +1. Actually, nah. The Mob just gets whatever Fighting skill is appropriate (from "angry peasant mob" to "elite assassin squad".

If its the Usurping Brass Emperor's personal guard, maybe they get some kind of Teamwork/Strength in Numbers stunt that gives them a bonus (so even with lesser Fighting, they are still a credible threat/obstacle due to their numbers). But still not as scary as a named henchman...

Top Bottom