• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro How would you rewrite Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Gareth3

Validated User
I've been reading Shamus Young's critique of Mass Effect: Andromeda, and I'm particularly interested in the problems with the story. The premise itself is interesting, but the game doesn't explore the implications of it and the whole thing ends up too much like the previous three games. So, how would you rewrite the game? Let's keep the premise the same: Some time before the end of Mass Effect 3, several different species depart on a centuries-long voyage to the Andromeda Galaxy and try to establish colonies on habitable planets. We'll also stipulate that the story has to allow for typical Mass Effect gameplay - it can't all be diplomacy and resource management, there has to be some excuse for running around with guns. So, which species take part, why are they leaving, and what do they discover when they arrive?

Steamed Bun Love

Here for the pork buns
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Can you possibly link to Shamus Young's critique? I would enjoy reading it!

If I were in control of ME:A, I think that I would have done away with the Kett and focused more on the automated enemies, on the subplot related to the creation of the whatever-the-new-allied-aliens are. That's just for a start.

Propagandor

Square-Cube Law Compliant
Validated User
Can you possibly link to Shamus Young's critique? I would enjoy reading it!

If I were in control of ME:A, I think that I would have done away with the Kett and focused more on the automated enemies, on the subplot related to the creation of the whatever-the-new-allied-aliens are. That's just for a start.
I actually like Andromeda a fair bit. The Kett were really boring though. The big twist wasn't anything (except insofar as how some of the friendly aliens reacted to it).

Steamed Bun Love

Here for the pork buns
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Agreed. The Kett weren't interesting to me. I loved the Angara, I really liked whatever-the-hell the robots were (it's been a while, I'm forgetting my proper nouns), and I really liked the Ark quests and making planets habitable.

More of that. More genuinely interesting exploration.

NobodyImportant

Validated User
I’ve been contemplating this for a bit, but I’ve just realized all my advice boils down to “Make it a Star Control rip off”

And you know what? That’s not a bad idea. That’s my idea. Make it Star Control.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
One of the suggestions I saw, and quite liked, was: make everything less "everyone is always in panic mode."

Within the first ~30min you're promoted to Pathfinder after your dad dies.
Less than ~30min after that you find out that you're the first ARK to show up. Like, at all. And there was a mutiny/revolution/insurrection/whatever that led to a bunch of people getting kicked out of The Nexus. Oh, and literally every planet you wanted to settle is now uninhabitable for various reasons, so there's still lots of people in cryo and there's not enough food to do this.

Not to mention your sibling being out of the story for several hours.

It would have been awesome to really get into the exploration part, and even get to do some with your dad and brother along for the ride.

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
I wouldn't be so concerned about rewriting it, so much as actually giving it an ending.

Morty

Validated User
Oddly enough, I think my priority would be cutting out SAM. Not that people don't make good points about other issues with the story, but SAM was one for me. First off, it makes Ryder little more than an organic SAM delivery system. Every problem is solved by saying "SAM, do something about it"... and SAM does something about it. Which either takes a snap or a longer time, in which case Ryder usually just shoots things until SAM has done the thing. And no one seems concerned about an AI that can brute-force every security system known to the colonists or the Angara. EDI was already serving a similar role in ME2/ME3, so I guess it's a logical progression. As is pushing the idea of an organic/synthetic harmony, or whatever else.

Last edited:

Rainfall

Validated User
I'd start with rewriting Mass Effect 3, and make Andromeda a more comfortable sequel instead of something that needs to very carefully avoid anything that ever happened in the original galaxy.

There was a big war, it's over, lots of people wanted to start anew and go see what the next galaxy over looks like. The protagonist is not anything close to a Chosen One fused to an IPhone, s/he's just a badass explorer with daddy issues. Also, I wouldn't kill the dad, fuck that trope. Some of the Crew are ex-Cerberus, your best bud is a Geth collective.

The big antagonists are an alliance of aliens who took a long, hard look at those big space arks and decided they'd rather not have anything to do with those invaders and their Manifest Destiny.

In short, it would practically have nothing to do with Andromeda.

Top Bottom