• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

ūüíÄ Necro How would you rewrite Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User
The Kett are also tiresome because they're just another version of the body-horror 'we turn our enemies into us' mooks that Bioware has featured in every game since KOTOR.

Abominations, the demons in Jade Empire, the rakghoul things... and of course, more immediately the Reapers.

I'd like to have seen Andromeda where the divide is genuinely political- there are some Kett and Angara on one side, and others on another, and if there is a villain faction you can't immediately tell who it is.

Morty

Validated User
Andromeda was supposed to give us a fresh start in a new galaxy, but what it did give us was he same thing as before but in new decorations. That's the most basic problem that keeps coming up, I think.

St.Just

Lacking all conviction
Validated User
The Kett are also tiresome because they're just another version of the body-horror 'we turn our enemies into us' mooks that Bioware has featured in every game since KOTOR.

Abominations, the demons in Jade Empire, the rakghoul things... and of course, more immediately the Reapers.

I'd like to have seen Andromeda where the divide is genuinely political- there are some Kett and Angara on one side, and others on another, and if there is a villain faction you can't immediately tell who it is.
Not to mention they weren't even an interesting take on it-just boring space orcs, iteration 10,001.

I forget where I got the idea form (probably not original, anyway), but in terms of trying to get an actually interesting political/moral dilemma set-up

-Make the horrible empire the charismatic, humanoid sexy noble looking aliens with the cool tech. Don't even have to do anything else really, the fandom will do all required work to make them morally ambiguous and sympathetic.

-A situation where the Milky Way refugees are essentially offered a deal to be foederati. Which is to say, the local objectively-pretty-awful empire is happy to give them basically everything they need, all for the low low cost of being one of the boots stomping on Andromeda's face. And it doesn't end in getting backstabbed, even.

Morty

Validated User
You mean bad guys who aren't ugly and misshapen and/or wearing obviously sinister clothing? You're toying with forces we don't understand here.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
The problem with pretty villains is that a large faction of players tend to go "Oh, wait, these guys are both hawt-looking and hawt. I must believe they have a valid point even though their ethos is Nazism." It happens over and over and over. So I'm fine with horrific body horror villains because at least then you don't get tons of Kett redemption fanfics with the author's horribly-flawed-biology-knowledge kinks front and center.

darktalon

Merchant of Chaos
Validated User
On the other hand, I'm not keen on having writing and worldbuilding choices dictated by the lowest common denominator of point-missing fandom.

Morty

Validated User
The problem with pretty villains is that a large faction of players tend to go "Oh, wait, these guys are both hawt-looking and hawt. I must believe they have a valid point even though their ethos is Nazism." It happens over and over and over. So I'm fine with horrific body horror villains because at least then you don't get tons of Kett redemption fanfics with the author's horribly-flawed-biology-knowledge kinks front and center.
Well...

On the other hand, I'm not keen on having writing and worldbuilding choices dictated by the lowest common denominator of point-missing fandom.
Yeah. "If they're pretty, they can't be all that bad" is a sentiment that needs to be resisted, not grudgingly accepted.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Here's how I would rewrite it, given proper funding, staffing and support by the mother company (unlike what they actually got): Explain at least half of the mystery of the Remnant during the main game. No saving it for DLC because you never know if a game will hit big or not. I'd show more of Kett society, explain that the Kett we see here are a military/missionary mission because the Kett are expansionists. Making them into English expansion-era colonists is actually making them into...well, more or less Nazis. Concentration camps, forcible conversion, lying and stealing under treaty, etcetera. They don't mass murder because they hate, they mass murder because they need foot soldiers.

Show that the Kett back home have a much more leisurely lifestyle, but with enormous class/caste differences. The laboring class would be considered below even converted foot soldiers, there'd be child labor, in general all the horrors of Dickensian London and England. Inhumane working conditions that literally kills the workers, poorhouses, all that awfulness. Also show that the higher you get, the less faith in society you get. The Kett nobility is far above the Archon, and they know for a fact they're not a superior species.

I'd have the Angara and Kett be two sides of the same coin - the Kett being the first experiment by the Remnant, the failed one. The Angara are the success. The Scourge comes from when angry Kett fanatics managed to breach a Remnant weapons depot and managed to activate one of the Remnant's own doomsday weapons. The Remnant didn't die off, they're still around. They uploaded themselves into the ginormous installations on the worlds they terraformed, and the Scourge damaged them. Saving the cluster also means bringing back the Remnant.

The Remnant are basically a civilization that went with Synthesis on their own, not having to fight a bunch of space squid every fifty thousand years. They've made several experiments with creating new life to see how other ways can work - the Angara have their electromagnetic abilities because they wanted to see if a species that could interface from the start would go towards Synthesis or natural balance (...and the answer was, the latter). The Kett were the first such experiment, except they made them incapable of naturally interfacing with the Remnant tech - hence why it takes human AI tech to let the Kett finally gain access to the vaults.

I'd have the ending be much the way it was in-game, but also have it end with the remaining Arks arrive, damaged and fleeing but mostly whole enough to be a thing. The reason they were delayed is because they came out of hyper in the Kett clusters, and have been running like hell ever since. One of the Arks got sabotaged, too, by hanar fanatics and their drell servants, believing they could steer the Arks towards what they thought was Heaven (it wasn't).

Over all, leave story seeds for the next game if there is one, but nothing overwhelmingly "Dammit, there won't be one!". No huge mysteries, just smaller ones. Like "how old are the Remnant if they didn't show up in Andromeda until five centuries ago?" or "what happened to the other Remnant outside the cluster?"

Morty

Validated User
Explain at least half of the mystery of the Remnant during the main game. No saving it for DLC because you never know if a game will hit big or not.
It does feel like they made the same mistake the original trilogy's writers had made with the Reapers in ME1 and ME2. Pile up mysteries and leave them to be resolved later - which didn't happen.

Top Bottom