• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

đŸ’€ Necro How would you rewrite Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
For sequels I'd actually kind of like the idea that a conventional war is fought. Yes, the Kett are awful people, but they're not godlike entities beyond human ken (the Archons like to pretend they are, but that's just racist smugness speaking), they can be fought and beaten. With the Heleus cluster more or less a safe haven to fight from due to Remnant tech (in my version the Remnant return once the vaults are all fixed, but aren't really mentally capable of war any more, and there are far too few of them left due to the Scourge killing so many uploaded minds), the fight is more even than one might think - ore and minerals from Elaaden and Kadara, shipyards provided by the Remnant, and tons of Angara allies eager to fight back).
It wouldn't be an easy fight, of course. Just...not impossible. Then a third game would probably be about how the Kett finally bring their whole imperial might to bear, but we also gain new allies from the people the Kett have been fighting. Human superior tech and Angaran superior skill combined with the new guys who bring something else (numbers? I dunno). With, of course, the ending being the Kett empire broken and in shambles and the Kett lowlies (the lowest class) free of slavery. Maybe even have them find that the Kett have always known how to return people to their original state, they just never used it because they're assholes.

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
Just to go back to the "pretty Kett" thing, they're clearly an anti-asari thing (taking instead of sharing genes through sexy times) and I think the idea of pretty arseholes needs exploring because the pretty = moral value trope needs to die.

Also, it would give more normal players funny feeling about becoming Kett, something that the game could exploit as part of its 'we are the aliens' idea.

I haven't gone after the Archon yet, but the game makes me think of Stargate Atlantis for the obvious reasons - and so I've been thinking of the Remnant as beneficial life giving robots as an inversion of genocidal ones from the Milky Way.

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
If I were rewriting ME:A (I've been thinking of it for my summer game), I'd start with the Ark designs coming from a previous iteration (it wasn't a crucible, it was the intergalactic drive). And it's not finished without the geth - and guess who come along for the ride. Some geth want to disappear at the first sign of new worlds, but enough want to stay. The Arks need them after the Scourge messed things up, but who would trust them?

I'd lean harder into the Kett = genetic masters thing and push the SAM synthesis back, being a choice made in game. Something about the ancient race making it here, causing a fuss and being wiped out - but causing conflict with a peaceful mechanical race that echoes through iterations. Something about how we may seek new frontiers, but always bring our problems with us because that's what we are. Also the Kett are refugees too, ethnically cleansing and colonising existing civilisations because fuck you we deserve a new home, that's why.

Side with the Kett and lose some of what you are in return for amazing genetic enhancements, side with the machine race for symbiois and improved tools. The Remnant were broadly peaceable machine gods, but ended up wiping out organics who fought them and starting again. Hence the Angara, who were more easily controlled.

This sets up the next game's conflict - standing on top of Kett genetics (improved by Milly Way stock) or mecahnical Remnant tech (having absorbed a bunch of geth) in order to fight a cruel, autocratic, exotic civilisation that has existed for hundreds of millennia (in one form or another) and is not happy that the Kett ran off with something very important to them...

Dave999

Validated User
My changes would be minor because I don't think the story is terrible.

* Don't have them colonize another galaxy. Have them colonize a part of the Milky Way that was unexplored because the Council haven't even touched a hundredth of the galaxy.

* Have the Remnant be revealed as benevolent non-genocidal Reapers which have tried to repopulate the galaxy away from their cousins.

* Have the Kett be revealed to be the original Protheans that managed to survive 50,000 years by destroying their Mass Effect relays.

* Have an ending for the Mass Effect Universe we left behind even if it's "Man, beating back the Reapers was tough."

* Have it clear that the Citadel only allows colonizing non-inhabited worlds and is strictly against colonialism. Also make it clear there's a LOT of refugees in the rest of the galaxy and need worlds to ease the issue.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Hmmm.

Some thoughts.

For me, personally, having the Citadel and stuff doesn't work, because then it's just ME4. I wanted a new series in the same setting, I got it. Flawed, but it was a new game series in the same setting. Much like Stargate: Universe. MEA works in my opinion because we have no Citadel backup. No Shepard is gonna come in and save the day. It's all on us and our choices.

Also, I really don't like the idea of having to choose between two shitty fascist factions. The Angara worked because they were a set of nations under attack who weren't aggressive to begin with. They were nice people. You kind of felt guilty for walking in on their patch of land. If the only available allies are equally monsters (just of different flavors) then for one thing I wouldn't feel even slightly guilty about being a colonizer on someone else's turf (which for a fictional setting in today's enlightened world is problematic as hell, I might add, since it suggests it's fine to be an invading colonist imperialist so long as you're not Them), I can just as easily go play 40K or something.

As for the Reapers, ugh. I loved MEA because there were no Reapers. None. No Protheans either. At all. They were six hundred years gone. They were a bad idea in the first place.

I think this is what prompted my own rewrite above, in which we're basically boat refugees siding with the Polynesians and Austronesians against the British Empire.

Rainfall

Banned
Validated User
I think this is what prompted my own rewrite above, in which we're basically boat refugees siding with the Polynesians and Austronesians against the British Empire.
In my version the Kett would be the "Reapers". Much like the Britts were during the Age of Sail. You're the underdog, they have laser maxim guns, their contempt for you savages is unbearable. You win the fight, it's harrowing and heroic... But it's just a small private expoitation force owned by a second-rate company. There's an entire galaxy dominated by those imperialists out there...

Dave999

Validated User
In my version the Kett would be the "Reapers". Much like the Britts were during the Age of Sail. You're the underdog, they have laser maxim guns, their contempt for you savages is unbearable. You win the fight, it's harrowing and heroic... But it's just a small private expoitation force owned by a second-rate company. There's an entire galaxy dominated by those imperialists out there...
I honestly half wonder if it wouldn't have been awesome to go full Captain Ersatz with the Kett. They're not actually the Borg or some scary bio-alien group but a bunch of British accented aliens from an advanced species that just wants to enslave various races as well as steal their resoucres for money. Basically, the Anti-Reapers. They are COMPLETELY human save in appearance and their motivations are entirely comprehensible.

Rainfall

Banned
Validated User
I honestly half wonder if it wouldn't have been awesome to go full Captain Ersatz with the Kett. They're not actually the Borg or some scary bio-alien group but a bunch of British accented aliens from an advanced species that just wants to enslave various races as well as steal their resoucres for money. Basically, the Anti-Reapers. They are COMPLETELY human save in appearance and their motivations are entirely comprehensible.
Oh yes absolutely! Make the evil alien invaders as... human as possible. ;)

And the Milky Way species are finding themselves in the role of the Quarians. Big fleet, no home, and the galaxy distrusts us as dangerous vagabonds.

Dave999

Validated User
"Ah, yes, you canoed across the star lanes. We are here to bring you civilization, you ruffian vagabonds and you should be GRATEFUL for us uplifting you."

Morty

Validated User
Would discussion of what we'd change about Andromeda's gameplay be out of scope for this thread?

Top Bottom