• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

ūüíÄ Necro How would you rewrite Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Quantum Bob

Fear and Loathing
RPGnet Member
Validated User
In my version the Kett would be the "Reapers". Much like the Britts were during the Age of Sail. You're the underdog, they have laser maxim guns, their contempt for you savages is unbearable. You win the fight, it's harrowing and heroic... But it's just a small private expoitation force owned by a second-rate company. There's an entire galaxy dominated by those imperialists out there...
I'd think that's basically fine, but only if Ryder remains a hilarious death machine that murders their laser maxim gun toting goons in ridiculous numbers. And you listen can in on their comms while they become more and more unhinged. Basically turn it into an anti-colonialist, anti-imperialist power trip.

Rainfall

Validated User
"Ah, yes, you canoed across the star lanes. We are here to bring you civilization, you ruffian vagabonds and you should be GRATEFUL for us uplifting you."
With a british accent set at "maximum arrogance". This is important.

I'd think that's basically fine, but only if Ryder remains a hilarious death machine that murders their laser maxim gun toting goons in ridiculous numbers. And you listen can in on their comms while they become more and more unhinged. Basically turn it into an anti-colonialist, anti-imperialist power trip.
Of course! That's the point! I want it all. I want it to be a trilogy, and I want Babylon Five ending we were denied the first time around.

AND GET THE HELL OUT OF OUR GALAXY!

Last edited:

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User
You could always do a variant of the Empire thing by turning the Milky Way people into foedarati- or the so-called 'Martial Races.' They arrive in Andromeda, get welcomed by the pseudo-Kett and told that if they're prepared to defend the Empire there's all manner of hospitable planets that can be their's.

Of course, to prove their commitment, they'll need to clear out the evil Angara invaders who've established themselves there, but once they do that citizenship might be on the table!

That way the first act twist isn't the tired 'oh no, the Kett were Angara!', but 'shit, the imperialists are playing us off against the actual inhabitants!'

Then the second act is trying to broker some kind of peace with the people you've invaded, while trying to face down the faction within the initiative who are perfectly okay with serving the Empire. The third act is the Rebel Alliance! Okay, maybe you need a better name.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
I'll admit I'm incredibly uncomfortable with any game premise where I help imperialist fascist racist overlords even unknowingly. It'd smear the entire story for me in a very...unpleasant...light.

But then I got sick and tired of Crackdown after the first game.

Vael

Validated User
I feel like both it and Dragon Age Inquisition weren't as fun to pay as their predecessors.
I thought Andromeda had really good gameplay. The Nomad handles well, the jetpack and gunplay was fun.

Inquisition felt grindy and too big. Felt tedious.

Dave999

Validated User
I'll admit I'm incredibly uncomfortable with any game premise where I help imperialist fascist racist overlords even unknowingly. It'd smear the entire story for me in a very...unpleasant...light.

I don't understand why anyone would play Caesar's Legion in FONV but I am glad the option is there.

Kinda?

Morty

Validated User
I thought Andromeda had really good gameplay. The Nomad handles well, the jetpack and gunplay was fun.
The combat itself is pretty good, possibly best in the franchise. It's less... floaty and generally lousy than in ME1, but doesn't have ME2 and ME3's feeling of being restricted to running down corridors with chest-high walls (though to be fair, ME3 is already more open than ME2).

Where it falls a bit flat is powers and character creation. The restriction to three powers at a time is very annoying. The game is trying really hard to push some kind of on-the-spot respecialization feature, which I had no interest in whatsoever. The skill trees feel too similar to the previous games, with the classes taken out. "Combat" and "tech" as categories make even less sense than previously, while biotic powers are something completely different - you can dabble in combat or tech skills, but you're either born a biotic or you're not.

Uncle Claudius

Villain, villain, smiling damned villain.
Validated User

That's absolutely a reasonable reaction, though I can't say I've ever played Crackdown. Personally, I'd be quite interested in something that explores the nastiness that underlies the aesthetics of empire that so many computer games unironically indulge. But imperialism is serious, unpleasant stuff, and a visceral reaction is often the most truthful one.

Last edited:

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Maybe. But if so, I find Mass Effect to be the wrong fit. Much like unlike a lot of others I wouldn't want a Mirror Universe series of Star Trek. Personally, I wouldn't mind a plot where you fight the imperialists at all, it's the whole "But first you help them do some ethnic cleansing!"-part I take issue with.

Crackdown is basically an old open-world action game where you play a cybernetically enhanced supercop cleaning up a bunch of gangs, only to be told at the end that while they were gangs, they were also the only hindrance to the fascist take-over, cue evil laughter at the player for helping the bad guys all along. Not...my cup of tea, no.

Top Bottom