• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

💀 Necro How would you rewrite Mass Effect: Andromeda?

Dave999

Validated User
Maybe. But if so, I find Mass Effect to be the wrong fit. Much like unlike a lot of others I wouldn't want a Mirror Universe series of Star Trek. Personally, I wouldn't mind a plot where you fight the imperialists at all, it's the whole "But first you help them do some ethnic cleansing!"-part I take issue with.

Crackdown is basically an old open-world action game where you play a cybernetically enhanced supercop cleaning up a bunch of gangs, only to be told at the end that while they were gangs, they were also the only hindrance to the fascist take-over, cue evil laughter at the player for helping the bad guys all along. Not...my cup of tea, no.
Re: Crackdown

I doubt anyone would remember the game if not for the twist ending.

Re: Andromeda

I actually think a much more intelligently written Andromeda has all the stuff it needs to talk about imperialism, refugees, and colonialism without having to go too far off script. Also, using the background of the setting as is.

1. You might have Director Jarunn Tann constantly reference this and adopt a kind of snobbish "Prime Directive" when dealing with the Angara and their "inferior" technology. After all, they don't have Mass Effect Drivers (which were found by the Citadel races anyway). He just wants to get self-sufficient and stay out of their business.

This would be contrasted with Foster Addison who keeps pushing the most interventionist take on things, including things that are none of the Initiative's damn business like internal affairs. She very nicely indicates that you should predispose the Angara to being dependent on the Initiative.

2. You can have the Paragon vs. Renegade choice equivalent be between trying to build a Star Trek-esque Federation between your settlements and the Angara vs. leveraging your superior military might to become rulers of the Angara.

3. The Krogan are flat out people who conquered an Anagaran World and have set up shop there, slaughtering all the Kett and building themselves a settlement.

4. Sloane Kelly's outlaw town is actually a genuine colonialist outpost that has set itself up as the rulers in exchange for protection from the Kett. It's just the Kett aren't people
she can protect them from but the fear is useful for keeping everyone in line.

5. The Kett under the Archon are actually technically not here to conquer but a TRADING expedition that just so happens to be so powerful they COULD conquer the Angarans and have been forcibly converting them. The Kett back home overlook this due to the profits.

Vael

Validated User
When I start rewriting Andromeda in my head I end up with a crucial problem, do I want to go dark, or keep the lighter vibe Andromeda has over the rest of the trilogy?

Because a core change I thought I'd make is instead of having the Andromeda Initiative leave before the Reaper invasion, I'd make it happen during. Basically, the Reapers invade when the ships are in final preparation stages, and they're forced to scramble and launch without some of the final supplies and personnel. The idea is that instead of colonizers and explorers, AI arrives as refugees.

Which really darkens the tone of the game, to the point where I'm second guessing myself. The entire AI is feeling far more trauma over the separation between them and the Milky Way, survivor's guilt, etc. And while I believe it'll make it a more compelling story, does that go too dark? Because I do enjoy that Andromeda has a slightly lighter more adventurous tone than the rest of the trilogy, do I want to give it up?

Rainfall

Validated User
Because I do enjoy that Andromeda has a slightly lighter more adventurous tone than the rest of the trilogy, do I want to give it up?
I don't think you have to. Functionally it's the same, everyone the AI has known back home are long dead and far beyond contact anyway.

Make the tone about resilience, a chance to begin anew in a new galaxy, those we lost are fondly remembered, not lamented. It's about execution more than anything, the tone would be much lighter if your dad wasn't killed in the first ten minutes and you found the Initiative to be a complete disaster run by idiots.

Keep Dad alive, but forced into a general role because he's one of the few people with the required skills left. Sam isn't your dead mom, it's a Geth collective "living" in your ship's mainframe. They chose to throw their lot with the organics instead of the Reapers. They know the Milky Way races would not trust them, they're being discrete, but they revealed their existence to the Rider family. There's no drama about it, the Geth are just insanely curious about this new galaxy and think you're awesome.

First contact? It's friendly. The Angara found your crashed drop ship, they don't speak your language but their friendly intent is clear. Suddenly, the Kett jump in attacking you and your new buddies! What a shocking development! Cue firefight, your team of three is you, Liam and an unnamed Angara. SAM is trying to adapt the translator to understand the new language, gushing about the fascinating syntax and laughing at jokes it is not able to translate.

When you realize how massive the Kett empire is? The response from the Initiative leadership isn't despair and denial, it's a decision to rage at the dying of the light. The Empire wants a fight? They got one. And if we are to lose we'll be remembered for centuries.

Cue Libera Me From Hell.

Last edited:

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
When I start rewriting Andromeda in my head I end up with a crucial problem, do I want to go dark, or keep the lighter vibe Andromeda has over the rest of the trilogy?

Because a core change I thought I'd make is instead of having the Andromeda Initiative leave before the Reaper invasion, I'd make it happen during. Basically, the Reapers invade when the ships are in final preparation stages, and they're forced to scramble and launch without some of the final supplies and personnel. The idea is that instead of colonizers and explorers, AI arrives as refugees.

Which really darkens the tone of the game, to the point where I'm second guessing myself. The entire AI is feeling far more trauma over the separation between them and the Milky Way, survivor's guilt, etc. And while I believe it'll make it a more compelling story, does that go too dark? Because I do enjoy that Andromeda has a slightly lighter more adventurous tone than the rest of the trilogy, do I want to give it up?
I don't think it has to lead to a darker tone. I had a similar plan - planned the opening adventuer to be the players as security, giving the Arks enough time to leave as Reapers invade the out-system security and dock structures . That way it didn't matter if they all died in the opening (gives players time to get used to the system), they get to wake up as family or someone else in Andromeda, knowing what was lost and sacrificed.

Instead it gets to focus on what comes next. One thing I don't like is that the AI is essentially an autocracy, a corporate structure. I'm not surprised a bunch of people left.

So then you get to have a conversation about what society will look like in Andromeda - the problems transferring power from Tann and the AI structure to a democracy ('I'm sorry, but it's just not time. We need strict control if we are to survive, it's simply too early for elections'). There's a lot of room for utopian thinking, right there.

Dave999

Validated User
I should point out that the Andromeda Intitiative DID leave because of the Reaper Invasion.

It was funded, provided resources for, and set out entirely because of that.

It's just the COLONISTS didn't know and how could they? The Reapers are a myth until ME3. One of the subplots of the game is you discovering the Reapers are why the Initiative was funded after it had gone bankrupt less than halfway through.

Olof Jönsson

Tumto Lectis
Validated User
Re: Crackdown

I doubt anyone would remember the game if not for the twist ending.
Barely anyone did remember the games (there were two. Same stupid twist ending in both). Most who did remembered the (then) fun gameplay, which has since been topped by better games. Me, while I loved the original gameplay, I hated the ending and didn't buy the sequels. So...

Re: Andromeda

I actually think a much more intelligently written Andromeda has all the stuff it needs to talk about imperialism, refugees, and colonialism without having to go too far off script. Also, using the background of the setting as is.

1. You might have Director Jarunn Tann constantly reference this and adopt a kind of snobbish "Prime Directive" when dealing with the Angara and their "inferior" technology. After all, they don't have Mass Effect Drivers (which were found by the Citadel races anyway). He just wants to get self-sufficient and stay out of their business.

This would be contrasted with Foster Addison who keeps pushing the most interventionist take on things, including things that are none of the Initiative's damn business like internal affairs. She very nicely indicates that you should predispose the Angara to being dependent on the Initiative.

2. You can have the Paragon vs. Renegade choice equivalent be between trying to build a Star Trek-esque Federation between your settlements and the Angara vs. leveraging your superior military might to become rulers of the Angara.

3. The Krogan are flat out people who conquered an Anagaran World and have set up shop there, slaughtering all the Kett and building themselves a settlement.

4. Sloane Kelly's outlaw town is actually a genuine colonialist outpost that has set itself up as the rulers in exchange for protection from the Kett. It's just the Kett aren't people
she can protect them from but the fear is useful for keeping everyone in line.

5. The Kett under the Archon are actually technically not here to conquer but a TRADING expedition that just so happens to be so powerful they COULD conquer the Angarans and have been forcibly converting them. The Kett back home overlook this due to the profits.
I think any society that has forcible conversion technology like that is one that's just as bad back home, myself.

As for your points...1) and 5) are the only ones that aren't already in the game. Kadara Port was an Angara colony that got taken over, and stayed that way for a while after until Sloane went power-mad (this part of the game is actually what so many seem to want - you have to side with Shitty Side A or Shitty Side B and neither side are good guys, both are equally monstrous but in different ways). I mean...she made herself a throne. That's a bit too much Ayatollah of Rock'n Rolla. And the Angara on the planet weren't exactly nice either, in fact it was probably partly their xenophobia that caused the take-over to begin with - they basically did the Italian thing to the desperate Nexus refugees and were then shocked and appalled when the starving, dying-of-poison humans decided "Fuck this, we'll take it then".

For me, I think that sometimes having story options can get a bit...out of hand. And in games, the writing of the darker options can often be very, very, very, very problematic.

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
I should point out that the Andromeda Intitiative DID leave because of the Reaper Invasion.

It was funded, provided resources for, and set out entirely because of that.

It's just the COLONISTS didn't know and how could they? The Reapers are a myth until ME3. One of the subplots of the game is you discovering the Reapers are why the Initiative was funded after it had gone bankrupt less thanhalfway through.
Are you sure? I just got to the final memory locks and it seems like the project started out as a colonial thing, faltered and then the Benefactor(s) came in with an urgent need to get out of the galaxy because reapers.

Garson seemed to be relying on her own and standard investors before then.

Dave999

Validated User
Are you sure? I just got to the final memory locks and it seems like the project started out as a colonial thing, faltered and then the Benefactor(s) came in with an urgent need to get out of the galaxy because reapers.

Garson seemed to be relying on her own and standard investors before then.
It was a millionaire vanity project like Elon Musk's Mars idea before it got the Benefactors to actually finish it off, which they provided far in far excess of Garson's resources.

Morticutor UK

A long way away.
Validated User
It was a millionaire vanity project like Elon Musk's Mars idea before it got the Benefactors to actually finish it off, which they provided far in far excess of Garson's resources.

So... Not entirely due to the reapers then. Well, that cleared that up pretty quickly.

Straife Milton

Validated User
It would have been a gutsy move if the Andromeda sentient life hadn't looked so... mass effect-y. Non-humanoid aliens in a galaxy so far away would be a big, brave move that I would have personally applauded as sensible and interesting, but it might have been too brave. It's generally just not done in these sorts of sci-fi stories.

Top Bottom