How would you stat up Attack On Titan's monsters in D&D or Godbound?

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've been trying to come up with a good method for a long time, personally. The "series of skill checks" thing has never worked for me when it came to fighting big monsters, so mostly I've tried using standard stat blocks in Basic edition format. But I can never quite get results I'm satisfied with. I'm also not sure how to stat up a Scout Corps member with full equipment. The best I've got is small titans with 4 hd, medium titans with 8 hd, and large titans with 16 hd, and maybe like 2d6 damage per four hit dice. But that seems like it doesn't quite work.

So, rather than asking for advice, I realized that I'm probably never going to be 100% happy with anything and probably enjoy tinkering for the sake of tinkering. So instead, I decided to ask if anyone else has tried this and what their ideas ended up being, just out of curiosity and maybe to get inspiration.

KoboldLord

Validated User
I would probably start by capping the Scout Corps' members level. Attack on Titan seems like a Tier 1 (5E) or E6 (3.5E) setting to me. The PCs and their retinue can get some good abilities and are pretty nasty if their plans go without a hitch, but they're also fundamentally fragile and when things go wrong they're going to go wrong hard.

I would probably model the titans as having a moderate amount of hp, but you need to pass a series of skill checks to make the vulnerable. So you've got your squad pulling athletics or acrobatics checks with their grappling gear to try to force the titan into a position where somebody down in the initiative order a bit can actually try to do damage. A higher-level character might have reflavored abilities that lets them skip some or all of the checks, or just inflict some one-time damage to a titan that is not otherwise vulnerable.

To ensure the appropriate level of lethality without burning through too many PCs, give the PCs a steady stream of new recruits to order around on their turn, most of whom will die in any major fight. Either each PC could get a couple recruits, or they could get a shared pile of recruits and they can move a couple of their choice on their turn as additional actions.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You know, I normally hate the whole idea of skill challenges to climb around on giant monsters, but I like your idea of using skill checks but limiting them to just getting into position, and otherwise using the rules as they are. It reminds me of the system I'm currently using (Titan World, PbtA fan hack), but with damage and AC and stuff. And Titan World also has a few class abilities that let you ignore the need to be in position before attacking, so that would work too.

Top Bottom