• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[HQ] Issaries Fan Publication Policy

Angry Argrath

Retired User
Issaries have now released their Fan Publication Policy at:

http://www.glorantha.com/tribes/fan_policy.html

We have been waiting for this since June 2004 and all publications such as 'Tradetalk', 'Unspoken Word', 'Kalikos Society', and alot of Convention support books such as 'Ye Book of Tentacles' and con books for Gloranthacon, Scottscon etc have not been able to publish until the Issaries Fan Publication Policy has been finalised.

It also looks as if Websites will now be hit by this policy, those that do not conform to the canon Glorantha may be pulled. Those with content that Issaries wants to publish will be pulled and then hang in limbo until such time Issaries can publish it (Issaries publishing shedule is snail-like at best!). Then the content could be changed considerably, making it hardly recognizable.

The worst thing is that Glorantha had to survive on the work of fan publications such as 'Tale of the Reaching Moon' and the con books of the Convulsion conventions. To top that Greg Stafford had to go around those conventions cap in hand to form the GTA. The Glorantha Trading Association. It is the fans that paid into the GTA that got Issaries started in the FIRST place!
Without that start there would be no Hero Wars or Heroquest published.

This feels like a big kick in the teeth. :mad:

Does any other company have policies like this? :confused:

Rant Over

|AA
 

Shining Dragon

Tough Tiger Fist
Validated User
Its a policy that, from a glance, is allowing you to use registered trademarks and intellectual property in a published product (that you might even sell).

They have to protect their IP somehow. If they don't they lose it.
 

Voriof

Eins, Zwei, Drei
Most companies do not allow *any* fan publications to be sold for money. White Wolf. WotC. AEG. Mongoose. Green Ronin. All have very strong views on infringement of their IP. None of them allow unlicensed publications for sale. Issaries is, frankly, close to being unique in allowing it.

Unfortunately, some of the fans are not aware of how often legal challenges have been mounted on IP. White Wolf handing off the Camarilla name to the Camarilla and then finding they'd lost use of that name is an interesting example of this.

Voriof
 
Last edited:

SweeneyTodd

New member
Banned
I imagine that their lawyers made them do this -- if you don't protect your IP, you essentially lose claim to it.

I know a lot of people go with the flowers and light happiness of open-sourcing things, but their policy seems reasonable.
 

cjh

Solar Flare Blind
I think that people are forgetting Palladium Games, and their "user friendly" policy towards their fans and the internet.
 

Voriof

Eins, Zwei, Drei
cjh said:
I think that people are forgetting Palladium Games, and their "user friendly" policy towards their fans and the internet.
Yeah, and those fans are not even making money on their work. Talk about "scorched earth!"

Voriof
 

Geof

Registered User
Validated User
SweeneyTodd said:
I imagine that their lawyers made them do this -- if you don't protect your IP, you essentially lose claim to it.
I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know this only applies to trademarks. Copyrights (and patents) are protected regardless of whether the owner takes action against infringement or not. Furthermore, copyright protection is automatic: whenever you create something, you automatically gain copyright. The only way to lose copyright is to actively surrender it.
 

Angry Argrath

Retired User
Funded by GTA

Voriof said:
Most companies do not allow *any* fan publications to be sold for money. White Wolf. WotC. AEG. Mongoose. Green Ronin. All have very strong views on infringement of their IP. None of them allow unlicensed publications for sale. Issaries is, frankly, close to being unique in allowing it.
However those companies were not funded by their fans via the GTA?

|Argan Argar
 

Voriof

Eins, Zwei, Drei
Geof said:
I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know this only applies to trademarks. Copyrights (and patents) are protected regardless of whether the owner takes action against infringement or not. Furthermore, copyright protection is automatic: whenever you create something, you automatically gain copyright. The only way to lose copyright is to actively surrender it.

And what if what you have created and are using is already part of someone's IP. Or so they claim. You, of course, are quite innovative and original and they stole your work for their own purpoes. Someone threatened to sue Marion Zimmer Bradly based on this. Apparently, much of what she wrote in one of the later Darkover novels bore a great resemblance to their fan-fic...

After that, there was no more Darkover fan-fic.

Marion Zimmer Bradley vs on Fan Fic

Its interesting reading.
Voriof
 

cjh

Solar Flare Blind
Re: Funded by GTA

Angry Argrath said:
However those companies were not funded by their fans via the GTA?
No but those companies are funded by their fans via their purchases, so I don't see what the big difference is....crappy support of fans is crappy support of fans. At least your company doesn't have a practice of issuing Cease and Desist orders to their fans. Welcome to the rest of the world. :rolleyes:
 
Top Bottom