• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[HQ] Issaries Fan Publication Policy

Voriof

Eins, Zwei, Drei
Re: Funded by GTA

Angry Argrath said:
However those companies were not funded by their fans via the GTA?

|Argan Argar
So... what does that give you? Just curious. Me, I'm of the opinion that I'd rather not see Greg or Issaries sued by some whacko fan or have the IP erroded by say, a "looks and smells like Glorantha" game.

And yes, I'm in the GTA, a Hero actually. Perhaps you might want to read the policy rather than rant? And then compare it to what other game companies expect. There's a few examples out there (and one specifically mentioned in this thread) that are pretty grim. Issaries is probably the most open fan-pub policy I've seen anywhere. If you know one that's better, please tell us of them that we may be highly impressed with their bravery!

edit: Does contributing to the GTA mean that you can hold it over Greg forever? Yes, we would not have had Issaries without the GTA. However, Issaries has been around for six-seven years now. There are over a dozen books in print. When do YOU think Greg's obligation to YOU ends? Please let me know? Does it ever end? Is he beholden to the GTA forever? :rolleyes:

Voriof

Last edited:

JDeMobray

Magister Mentis, KGF
Validated User

Angry Argrath said:
However those companies were not funded by their fans via the GTA?

|Argan Argar
So your argument would then be that the fans should now own the trademarkes? I have probably purchased several thousand dollars in Dungeons & Dragons products over the years, including during the period when TSR was in dire financial difficulties and were putting out some really subpar products. Would I be entitled to a slice of the pie from D&D at this point?

Ian Cooper

Validated User
Angry Argrath said:
This feels like a big kick in the teeth. :mad:
|AA
OK IANAL or an employee of Issaries

So a lot of folks seem to be getting unecessarily upset, running around shouting "The sky is falling in, the sky is falling in". We live in a world of cheap mass distribution via the Internet and Issaries is, somewhat late perhaps, having to update their IP protection to meet modern threats. Does this mean Issaries is going to go around forcing web sites to close? I doubt it. Does it empower Issaries to close down a FATAL Glorantha web site on the grounds of taste and decency? Sure. Does it empower Issaries to shut down web sites reproducing large quantities of copyright protected material? Sure.

So the sky is not falling in. If you behaved responsibly it is mostly business as usual, just update the requested links on your pages. There are some changes that relate to Issaries wanting folks to consider publishing with them before they put potentially saleable material out for free or under their own banner, but Issaries is just trying to ensure a steady steam of product by asking people to submit to them.

At best you are being alarmist. At worst you are rabble rousing.

joshua neff

Story-Based Imperial

Voriof said:
If you know one that's better, please tell us of them that we may be highly impressed with their bravery!
Clinton Nixon's Anvilwerks has his games under a Creative Commons license that allows you to alter the games as you see fit and even sell what you do commercially, as long as you give him original credit and have the same license attached to your own product (which means you have to allow others to do to your work what you did to Clinton's). You don't have to ask him for permission, because he's already given it to you. But if you don't abide by the license, he can sue you (because he owns to copyright to his own IP).

Voriof

Eins, Zwei, Drei

joshua neff said:
Clinton Nixon's Anvilwerks has his games under a Creative Commons license that allows you to alter the games as you see fit and even sell what you do commercially, as long as you give him original credit and have the same license attached to your own product (which means you have to allow others to do to your work what you did to Clinton's). You don't have to ask him for permission, because he's already given it to you. But if you don't abide by the license, he can sue you (because he owns to copyright to his own IP).

(applauds his bravery)

Hmmm. I just got told that this can be really dicey - good luck to him. Unfortunatel, Issaries hasto be mindful that there's several hundred of websites out there using Glorantha. And of couse, Issaries is updating (changing and change is bad! Fire bad!) their policy whereas Clinton's is established from the get-go.

Still, I think that's pretty cool of him.

Voriof

Voriof

Eins, Zwei, Drei
Geof said:
I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know this only applies to trademarks. Copyrights (and patents) are protected regardless of whether the owner takes action against infringement or not. Furthermore, copyright protection is automatic: whenever you create something, you automatically gain copyright. The only way to lose copyright is to actively surrender it.
Here's a reply from a non RPG netter:

Tell him that you just talked to a friend of yours at a big nasty law
firm that represents big nasty corporations like Goldman Sachs and KKR
in intellectual property disputes and he says that if Issaries took that
position they'd go bankrupt in the process of trying to win their court
case.
Scary. Sadly, it seems that, as is, IP law doesn't really protect anyone without setting up specific safeguards.

Voriof

joshua neff

Story-Based Imperial

Ian Cooper said:
Anyone know if the Creative Commons licence has been upheld in court yet? Just curious.
I haven't heard of any court cases that involved CC licenses, no.

But it's not really a matter of holding it up in court. It's your copyrighted IP, you can allow people to use it or not as you see fit. If Greg Stafford owns the rights to Glorantha, he owns the rights to Glorantha. For the rest of his life plus 70 years. Right now, he can sue anyone he wants to for using Glorantha stuff. Anyone who sets up a website without paying him could be sued by Greg. Assuming he wants to (and can) spend the money of lawyers.

At the same time, if he wants to let everyone use Glorantha, that's his legal right, too. He still owns the IP, he just chooses not to sue people over it.

Or, he can do something in between. Which is what he apparently has done.

AlHazred

Mad Arab-American
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Someone mentioned White Wolf and The Camarilla as an example. I got curious and found this site; the relevant text is in the Addendum.

Scary that this could be done to a game company. If, for some stupid reason, I got Greg drunk at Origins 2001 and get the license to call my gaming group The Lunar Empire, and he later wanted to print a book with that title, as a fan I'd be okay with it. In the long run, I'd rename my group to something vaguely similar but close enough that I could get "geek cred" by association, and I'd be happy to watch my favorite game company publish more material.

I didn't realize what a weirdo freak I am.

joshua neff

Story-Based Imperial
Voriof said:
Here's a reply from a non RPG netter:

Scary. Sadly, it seems that, as is, IP law doesn't really protect anyone without setting up specific safeguards.

Voriof
Disney, for example, shuts people down all the time. They've used lawyers to pressure daycares into not showing Disney movies to their kids without paying a licensing fee. If you have the money, you can shove lawyers at whomever you want. Most people won't actually let it go to court, because it's damn expensive and most people can't match the big corporations for funds.

But hey, Microsoft got a guy name Mike Rowe to turn his domain name over to them for a paltry sum, just by siccing their lawyers on him.

Top Bottom