Hunter/Buffy WOD Crossover

N

NPC GamingFool

Hi all,

I am in the process of preparing my next WOD campaign and I thought that I would bounce some ideas off you guys.

For my next campaign, I want to capture the theme, feel, and tone of the "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV show while using the World of Darkness for background material. I do not intend to make or use any set of Buffy/Storyteller conversion rules. The goal here is to create a parallel story using the critters and mythology of the WOD.

Most of the player characters will be high school students protecting their community from supernatural evil. Our Sunnydale rippoff city will also have some sort of magical nexus that draws all sorts of unsavory creatures into the area. So without further adeu, here are some Buffy stereotypes and my WOD matches for them.

The Slayer is replaced by a small group of high school student Hunters. Since hunters do not seem to be pound per pound as tough as a BTVS Slayer, there will be 2 or 3 hunters to compensate.

The Mentor/Watcher role will be filled by an NPC who is an old school vampire hunter of the Hunter/Hunted variety. This guy will probably be the school janitor and a repository of monster lore.

The Willow/Witch role will be filled by characters that are sorcerers as described in the Mage Supplement "Sorcerer Revised". I have not have this book yet, but I hear that sorcerers are less powerful and more ritualistic than Mages.

The Supernatural Ally/SellOut role will be filled by a few player characters that could be a 15th Generation Thin Blood Vampire or one of those 1/2 vampire dhampyrs. I think these character types have sufficient motivation to be enemies of vampire society.

The Buffy Universe Hellmouth could be some sort of giant mage node or wyrm caern.

Any thoughts? Good or Bad? I am a little concerned about balance issues with the player characters. Would any of the above characters be overwhellmingly strong compared to the others.

Thanks,

The GamingFool

Armmeggedon

Mutant Octopus
Validated User
This sounds pretty cool, and I've considered doing something similar myself.(It's the only way my players would have anything to do with a Buffy game, the heathens.)
Why have just one node/hellmouth? Sure, there's only one in the show, but for each "season" of your game there could be a different flavor of hellmouth to go with the different "big bad". A werewolf or (yikes) Black Spiral Dancer caern is going to have different effects, and more importantly, a different feel than a sterile Technomancer node.

Still, I'd love to play in your game (as a sorcerer. Love that black magic.)

Turbo

Go Play Ninja Fox
Validated User
I would definately play down the organizations of the supernaturals, since the story is focused around the PC group, not the delicate political intricasies of the supernatural factions, unless of course that's what you want the game to be.

Elements to focus on to capture Buff-itude:
1) Friendship
2) Feeling Outcast
3) Romance triangles (if your players are capable to managing that in a realistic manner)
4) Seasonal Big Villains

Enjoy!

N

NPC Gaming Fool

Good Points

Armmeggedon wrote:
------------------------------
Why have just one node/hellmouth? Sure, there's only one in the show, but for each "season" of your game there could be a different flavor of hellmouth to go with the different "big bad". A werewolf or (yikes) Black Spiral Dancer caern is going to have different effects, and more importantly, a different feel than a sterile Technomancer node.
----------------------------------

That is a good point. There really is no reason why there cannot be multiple draws of evil.

Turbo wrote:
---------------------------------------
Elements to focus on to capture Buff-itude:
1) Friendship
2) Feeling Outcast
3) Romance triangles (if your players are capable to managing that in a realistic manner)
4) Seasonal Big Villains
--------------------------------------------
These are important aspects of BTVS. Althouth some of this stuff relys on good PC interaction, there are things that a GM can to foster an environment that encourages Buff-itude.

Thanks for the input!

The GamingFool

Law Orc

Concerned Citizen
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
NPC GamingFool said:
The Willow/Witch role will be filled by characters that are sorcerers as described in the Mage Supplement "Sorcerer Revised". I have not have this book yet, but I hear that sorcerers are less powerful and more ritualistic than Mages.
[/B]
Hmm.

From what I can recall of Sorcerer, the charactes may be capable of magic a bit more flashy then Buffy tends to have most of the time. You might want to consider limiting the players to types of sorcery that fit the sort of game you want to run.

Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
Turbo's points are excellent if you want the feel of Buffy rather than simply the mix of kids and monsters.

I like the shop class idea. I'm using a History teacher personally.

And of course Eden Studios are bringing out the official game in the summer. http://www.btvsrpg.com is the currently minimal official site, and Eden have discussion boards up which are actually more informative...

N

NPC GamingFool

Sorcerers

Random Nerd wrote:
-----------------------------------------
From what I can recall of Sorcerer, the charactes may be capable of magic a bit more flashy then Buffy tends to have most of the time. You might want to consider limiting the players to types of sorcery that fit the sort of game you want to run.
-----------------------------------------

I will have to head to the hobby store and give the sorcerer book a page through. I am somewhat familiar with the old WOD: Sorcerer book, but I hear that the new version has undergone some major revisions. I would not mind the magic being somewhat more flashy than the Buffy standard, as long a sorcerer would be fairly balanced in comparison to the Hunter Pcs.

Patrick O'Duffy

Man I hate fractions
Validated User
Re: Sorcerers

NPC GamingFool said:
I would not mind the magic being somewhat more flashy than the Buffy standard, as long a sorcerer would be fairly balanced in comparison to the Hunter Pcs.
It depends on what you mean by 'balanced.' I'm not too familiar with Sorcerer, but my impression has been that they are more versatile than hunters.

The imbued can pull out some big dice pools when they have to, and are very effective against supernatural opponents. Sorcerers will roll less dice, but have a wider variety of effects, and will be a _lot_ more effective against normal humans (few hunter edges affect normal people).

The only thing I'd watch out for is interparty conflict between sorcerer and hunter. In such a matchup, the hunter is vastly more powerful - all of her edges will affect the sorcerer, while few of the sorcerer's spells will do anything to the hunter (due to the perfect protection of second sight).

With the right group, I think it'd work - it's hardly canon WoD, but it sounds like it'd be a real blast!

Dark Helmet

Retired User
Craig Oxbrow said:
Turbo's points are excellent if you want the feel of Buffy rather than simply the mix of kids and monsters.
OOH! That gives me a wierd idea. I'm going to create a Buffy/South Park version of this, where the Slayer/Scooby Gang are a group of third-graders.

And the Watcher is the Cafeteria Chef! :D

Turbo

Go Play Ninja Fox
Validated User
Dear God, what have I helped unleash?!

Sounds fun, actually, since the little girl Slayer will be the badass, able to beat up any of the boys in her Scoobie Gang, and you can have a strangely informed chef who happens to be a member of a clandestine organization of Iron Chefs who protect the world from Demons.

Top Bottom