Hunter/Buffy WOD Crossover

Mant

Retired User
Trying to get the feel of Buffy with the WoD rules could be tough. The power balance is totally in favour of the 'monsters', one fairly competent Vampire could take a whole group of Hunters apart. Normally is groups of Hunters vs one monster, scenes of one character taking on multiple vampires aren't going to happen.

Buffy gives main characters a lot of plot immunity, people like Xander can fight a vampire and not get their head ripped off (although he may get knocked out).

I'd very strongly recomened checking out Adventure! and porting some of the rules across. The Inspiration, Extras (for all mook Vampires) and Stunts rules would do a nice job of simulation the way things work in the Buffyverse. If you want a Slayer type arse-kicker then a lot of the Knacks are great too.

I'd go with the Hunter approach for other monsters. Monsters are monsters, don't get hung up on the stuff in Vampire or Werewolf, just have them as the monster with a bunch of appropriate powers. Stuff like Generation, Clans, Tribes and so on are likely to just bog the game down.

For the PC type monster a Dhampir may be better as they can go out in the sunlight. That way the character isn't uselss during the day (sewer access aside).

Mant

N

NPC GamingFool

Buffy/WOD

Patrick O'Duffy wrote:
-----------------------------------------------
The imbued can pull out some big dice pools when they have to, and are very effective against supernatural opponents. Sorcerers will roll less dice, but have a wider variety of effects, and will be a _lot_ more effective against normal humans (few hunter edges affect normal people).
------------------------------------------------

That sounds balanced enough for me. I do not really worry about any interparty conflict since my group of players get along pretty well.

I guess my idea of balance is to ensure that every Pc will have an avenue to contribute to the hunting/slaying cause.

Dark Helmet wrote:
OOH! That gives me a wierd idea. I'm going to create a Buffy/South Park version of this, where the Slayer/Scooby Gang are a group of third-graders.

That would be sweet! I wonder what set of rules would be best to handle that campaign?

Mant wrote:
------------------------------------
Trying to get the feel of Buffy with the WoD rules could be tough. The power balance is totally in favour of the 'monsters', one fairly competent Vampire could take a whole group of Hunters apart. Normally is groups of Hunters vs one monster, scenes of one character taking on multiple vampires aren't going to happen.
I'd go with the Hunter approach for other monsters. Monsters are monsters, don't get hung up on the stuff in Vampire or Werewolf, just have them as the monster with a bunch of appropriate powers. Stuff like Generation, Clans, Tribes and so on are likely to just bog the game down.
--------------------------------------
I have given this issue some thought. If I go with the hunter approach to vampires, it would be easy enough to weaken up the rank and file "grunt" monsters so the hunters can whip their ass with greater ease. I probably would not reduce their health levels, but I could make the vampires much more vulnerable to standard vampire killing techniques. Maybe young vampires would have to deal with things like:

1. Staking at a reduced difficulty

2. Double the damage for fire and hoy water

3. Sharp weapons (swords, axes, and stuff) cannot be soaked without a fortitude-like power.

Or alternatively, I could just accept that the hunters in this campaign will require more teamwork than the slayer does in BTVS.

Thanks for the input everyone!

Top Bottom