I accidentally made a fun little Attribute/Skill list.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
So I was fiddling around with a few things, and I kinda made...this. And...I don't know what this is for yet (except it's obviously a bit light mechanically and would fit cinematic universes well enough) but I kinda like it.

STUNT: Doing things that are dangerous and awesome
Athletics: Running, Jumping, and throwing things
Might: Lifting, crushing,
Drive: Doing things in vehicles
Survival: Not dying from exposure or explosions

FIGHT: For when civilized discussion fails and techno music kicks on
Brawl: Fistifuffs, martial arts
Melee: You know, Melee
Shoot: guns, arrows
Big Guns

DECEIT: Being sneaky and quiet and untrustworthy
Sneak: Moving quietly, unseen, or in a clever disguise.
Lie: No, really, I mean it!
Security: Building up and bypassing security systems
Scheme: Coming up with clever plans and shocking twists

KNOW: You know,
High Class: The fine things in life and their fine rewards
Low Brow: The streets and all their filthy luchre.
Ancient Lore: Book Learning, Occult Lore,
High Tech: Computers! Robots!

CHARM: Being Social
Like Me: Being friendly, sexy, or harmless.
Fear Me: Either threatening harm or making a spooky monologue.
Follow Me: Leadership and dramatic speeches
Look at Me: Performing or strutting your stuff.

I dunno--I just love the Know and Charm skills.

Last edited:

Insertname

Validated User
I like the evocative feel of STUNT as a stat, and it's a nicely comprehensive list while being short.

I kind of wish the rest of them were as thematic in pattern as the CHARM skills. Some of these lists include verbs and adjectives and/or nouns cohabitation, which always bugs me. I think it's fine if they're all matching for one stat rather than across everything, but within a stat looks sloppy to me.

Also, don't Low Brow and Scheme overlap a lot?

Maybe...

STUNT
Run (Anything that moves you, jumping/running/climbing)
Shove (Moving other things, lifting/pushing/pulling/throwing)
Drive
Survive (I'd have this include endurance stuff)

MARTIAL ARTS
Art of the Fist
Art of the Blade
Art of the Gun
Art of the Cannon
(I wanted Art of Artillery, but 'the Cannon' gets to keep the article)

CRIME
Break and Enter
Hide and Seek (you don't have a notice type skill, and it makes sense to me that you use your stealth knowledge to find someone else stealthed)
Lie and Cheat
Plot and Prepare
(Last one's weak... Plot and Plan makes a dumb architecture pun...)

LORE
Lore of Yesteryear (academics, history, anthropology, archeology, etc.)
Lore of Today (contemporary art, politics, news, culture, fashions, etc.)
Lore of Tomorrow (cutting edge tech, theoretical sciences, latest breakthroughs, sci fi ideas, etc.)
Lore of Now (local knowledge, street smarts, and other facts from the school of life)

Charm: Wouldn't change a thing. Though would let Look at Me be used for distractions.

Last edited:

Kelton

Son of Excluded middle
Validated User
Like both of those. I agree the Stunt attribute is especially inspired and inspiring.

Last edited:

Zev Linare

Coder of Dice
Validated User
Looks like a system for spies or espionage, especially with Stunt in there. The structure and symmetry also makes me think of Blades in the Dark, where your ranks in an attribute are equal to how many different skills you have ranks in under that attribute.

Last edited:

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
I like this idea, though the organization brings a mechanical question to mind: Do these operate from a tiered standpoint (a base attribute and skills that build on that, like Open d6) or a capstone system (Savage Worlds, for example)?

Insertname

Validated User
I like this idea, though the organization brings a mechanical question to mind: Do these operate from a tiered standpoint (a base attribute and skills that build on that, like Open d6) or a capstone system (Savage Worlds, for example)?
For some reason I'm thinking the skills have a die type (d4 through d12) and the Stat has a number (1-5, let's say). You roll as many of the given die as the Stat says and take the highest.

Bigdy McKen

Validated User
For some reason I'm thinking the skills have a die type (d4 through d12) and the Stat has a number (1-5, let's say). You roll as many of the given die as the Stat says and take the highest.
I really, really like it. Simple but comprehensive. Wish I'd thought of it first.

Have you thought of a Shadowrun-style success counting pool where the stat indicates how many dice are rolled and the skill level indicates target number for success?

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
Get out of my head! I was toying with something like that yesterday, no lie.

Top Bottom