I accidentally made a fun little Attribute/Skill list.

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
I'm digging this so far. Is this something generic, or for a specific setting? Because your question regarding skill bloat currently sits firmly in the "depends on what this is going to be used for" section of my brain.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
I'm digging this so far. Is this something generic, or for a specific setting? Because your question regarding skill bloat currently sits firmly in the "depends on what this is going to be used for" section of my brain.
Call it a "very specific kind of universal" system. Most of my games in my head tend to drift to "not-too-serious action blockbuster movie or cheap afternoon TV action". Obviously, fiddling with skill names, etc., will make a change of thigns for specific games, but in general I want the mechanics to work with most games I want to run. I'm not interested in counting bullets or paying too close attention to real life. I just want you to have some fun and make the rules simple enough for play-by-post or "I've had a long island ice tea but we're still only halfway through the dungeon" levels.

The real specifics are going to be handled by Elements, a bit of free-form FATE-like mechanic where you choose important parts of your character, and then add on some Edges (they should really be called Stunts, but Stunt's already an Attribute and I like it better). So...here, let me just put down my rough draft for this:

Spoiler: Show

Choosing your Elements
The best way to choose your elements is to think of two or three things that really sum up the character. To use a public domain example, let’s look at Robin Hood:

ROBIN HOOD
Greatest Archer in Sherwood Forest
Robs from the Rich, Gives to the Poor
In Love with Maid Marrion

Note that this is just one example. Let’s say the player of Robin Hood doesn’t want to deal with mushy feelings, so instead decides “Survivor of the Crusades” would work better. But hey, love is fun sometimes, so we stick with it. The GM also recommends adding "Outlaw" to the second Element, since it will give a bit more leeway in when it can be used, and a bit more direction for the player. Elements shouldn’t just be what the character is, but what you as a player want to DO with the character. So we found 3 Elements. Now we assign 5 points:

Greatest Archer in Sherwood Forest: 2
Outlaw who robs from the rich to give to the poor: 2
In Love with Maid Marrion: 1

The player decides they want the archery to be a core part of the character, but also really likes the idea of being an outlaw fighting the man. These ranks will give extra die to relevant actions (like, say, archery). Each rank also gives an Edge. The player reads through the “Elements and Edges” section for some ideas, and after chatting with the GM and other players decides on the following:

Greatest Archer in Sherwood Forest: 2
Trick Shot (Archery): 1 Focus: Drop difficulty of a trick shot by 2
Specialty: English Longbow: 1
Outlaw who robs from the rich to give to the poor: 2
Merry Men: 1
In Love with Maid Marrion: 1
Something to Live for: 1

“Trick Shot” allows a character to do impossible shots, like shooting an arrow with another arrorw. Specialty is a simple extra die every time Robin uses an English Longbow. There are other options the player could have used, but they want to stick with this and see what else they might pick up later.

For Outlaw, he has a band of Merry Men he can call on (while Little John and other ‘famous’ members are probably being played by other characters), and a Reputation he can call on which makes him loved by the poor people he’s helping.

Finally, Something to Live for is a Healing Effect--when things get bad, Tobin can call on his pure love of Marion to stand up and keep fighting or just ignore a Critical wound.

Assuming we completed Robing's Fortes and Skills, and with some fiddling around with the other secondary traits and picking up some gear, at this point Robin is mostly ready to dive in and stop the evil King John! Who may be a dinosaur! You don't know!!

Sabermane

Validated User
Sorry for the double-post, but I have an issue. Ok, not really an issue but I need some feedback.

On one hand, Action/Violence/Genius/Presence/Deceit work great, let me use "Stunt" instead of "Edge" which tends to work better from my paltry notes on the topic so far, and are words that work well to let you know what each Attribute does.

On the other hand, Stunt/Attack/Brains/Elegance/Rogue abbreviates to SABER.

You can obviously see my dilemma here. :D

Glyptodont

此时此地
Validated User
Sorry for the double-post, but I have an issue. Ok, not really an issue but I need some feedback.

On one hand, Action/Violence/Genius/Presence/Deceit work great, let me use "Stunt" instead of "Edge" which tends to work better from my paltry notes on the topic so far, and are words that work well to let you know what each Attribute does.

On the other hand, Stunt/Attack/Brains/Elegance/Rogue abbreviates to SABER.

You can obviously see my dilemma here. :D
Sport/Attack/Brains/Elegance/Rogue

There's your SABER :D

Sabermane

Validated User
Is Elegance too much? It's the most "someone really wanted our organization to abbreviate to SHIELD"...

Sabermane

Validated User
"Making these element things should be easy as a designer and make character creation simple and fun!"

*tries making characters* "this makes everything horrible and painful for everybody!"

Sabermane

Validated User
What feels so 'off' about it?
The core mechanics feel pretty stable. My big issue at this point is "do I want you to roll Skill + Element rank pool at TN=attribute? or do I want Attribute + Element against Skill TN?"

But under each Element I was going to go "here'sa selection of stunts you can do! To make it easy!" and it rapidly became "Quickly!! Figure out special effects stunts for things like 'Middle Class'!! also, everything will need specific wording and rules! Also, you're trapping your character into specific models which is the exact opposite of what you wanted to do!"

Then I tried to make a few characters for some games, and...it felt painful, the selection. At least I figured it out early. :)

More later.

Sabermane

Validated User
Allright, Elements 2.0:

Elements are the core concepts of your character, the most important things and descriptors you would use for describing someone. They're broken down into four catagories right now. This was what was breaking me up--I had it a bit too FATE like, where it could work, but it wasn't hitting the right beats for me. So I narrowed them down just a tad.

Careers: You have a skillset at a "could do this for a living". Examples: Badass Cop, Secret Agent, Occult Librarian, Taxi Driver, Ex-Con, Cheerleader. These are ranked 1-5, and add dice to your pool.

Traits: Things your character has naturally (or so ingrained they might as well be). Examples: Big guy, Devilish good looks, Laughs at Danger, 'e dodges bullets, Harry, etc. These do not have a rank. If you have an applicable Trait, you can increase your Attribute rank by one for a roll. You can add up to three Traits for a single action.

Society: Your ties to societies, groups, and influences. Depending on the game and the world, this could be anything fom "Starfleet" to "Street Culture" to "Cult of the Bloody Tongue" or "Dynaco Employee". Ranked 1-5. Can be used as a roll for social or mental interactions if applicable. Also counts as the number of contacts and influence you have with this specific group, as well as a credit rating within that group to get supplies and gear and living needs.

Special Effects: I have a few games in mind for this, but all of them have some "cool stuff" aspects. These are Special Effects--your ability to cast magic, use your cybernetitcs to punch through walls, transform into a car, whatever. This will use the system that is currently not...actually...you know, real. But yeah, if you need a magic sword or whatever, here it is.

So the basics at this point are: Create a Die Pool of Skill+Element, target number on dice(d10's)= Attribute+up to 3 traits. Dice at or under are successes, and beat the difficulty to win. Simple. Special Effects like spells and wirefu and the like will add some complications, but probably give automatic successes or just cause a thing like "you can fly!" or "the room is now on fire!". I've got some notes for badguys and such, but they're still pretty soft at the moment--basically though, everything will be a Threat, and that Threat rating is how many successes you need to make something be not a threat. I'm aiming at a "players only roll, GM just describes and throws things at you" as a main design goal. Again, more later, but let me know what if anything pops up.

Top Bottom