I accidentally made a fun little Attribute/Skill list.

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
So you will use one SABER tag + one Carreer + Traits, or one SABER tag plus + Society + Traits, or one SABER + SFX + Traits, correct?

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
So you will use one SABER tag + one Carreer + Traits, or one SABER tag plus + Society + Traits, or one SABER + SFX + Traits, correct?
Close.

Skill (Oh, you mean SABER Tag as a Skill, don't you?) + Element D10's, Target Number = Attribute + Traits.

Example: I am going to drive a car through a T-Rex. I have:
STUNT: 3
Drive: 2

ELEMENTS
Bad-ass Cop: 4 (Career)
Traits:
*Played by Bruce Willis (special rule, as long as I do that Bruce Willis squint and yell, this trait applies)
(I'll have some others, but none of them apply)

So right now I'm going to roll 2+4=6d10, with a target number of 3+1 (for the trait)=4 or less. Since I'm driving a stolen Ferrari, the GM allows that as an additional trait, so now I need to roll 5's or under. I roll 6 dice, yelling like Bruce Willis, and succeed.

Same thing for the Society ones, but there's probably some more weirdness with that that I'll get into in a bit.

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
What if you're playing Bruce Willis from Unbreakable? Actually, let's make him a more flashy character for this example. Let's say you're playing Bruce Willis the cybered-up edgerunner (Cyberpunk 2077 is on my brain). You're chasing down some gutterpunk with some information you need. The gutterpunk is tweaked on some neuro-stim that enhances reflexes, stamina, and strength but makes him irritable, paranoid, twitchy, and ravenously hungry. He's looking to score some snacks and you are shadowing him with your cyber-senses, looking for the perfect time to draw down on him or grab him with your cyber-arm.

Sabermane

Validated User
What if you're playing Bruce Willis from Unbreakable? Actually, let's make him a more flashy character for this example. Let's say you're playing Bruce Willis the cybered-up edgerunner (Cyberpunk 2077 is on my brain). You're chasing down some gutterpunk with some information you need. The gutterpunk is tweaked on some neuro-stim that enhances reflexes, stamina, and strength but makes him irritable, paranoid, twitchy, and ravenously hungry. He's looking to score some snacks and you are shadowing him with your cyber-senses, looking for the perfect time to draw down on him or grab him with your cyber-arm.
"Welcome to my mind..." #Freejackjokesforever!

Cyberpunk is my go-to for game design options, mainly because if I can handle Shadowrun I can handle just about anything.

Good example. So, we're chasing our guy. The way it's described we're trying to blend in and hide, so that's a Rogue act (his attribute rank is 3 we'll say). We'll say "Sneak" is our skill (eh, 2 dice). Lucky for Bruce, we're in the Sprawls (that is, the bustling sector of people living their lives, not the "only rich people" or the "Jeez why is this neighborhood all mutants?!"), and Bruce has Sprawl: 3. In a cyberpunk world like this, most cybernetics will be handled by Traits to give specifics. Bruce has "Cybereyes", so we'll give him that, and we're now rolling 5 dice at or under 4.

The GM/guy next to Bruce's player decides the difficulty for this is 2--the guy is paranoid, the streets are busy, and while Bruce fits in he IS being played by Bruce Willis. Bruce rolls his dice--what happens?
No successes: Catastrophe. The GM probably wants this guy's info to be given to Bruce, so he probably won't get away. But maybe he spots his tail, draws an autopistol and fires into the crowd, or someone else grabs the guy first. The tail was a problem, now he's a threat.

Some successes but not at difficulty: Complication. The target sees Bruce and freaks--now it's a chase scene.

successes=>difficulty: Success: Bruce sneaks up on the guy while he's trying to operate a vendo-bot for some noodles and can decide his next step. Maybe a good old Fear Me+Badass Cop roll to shake him down, or a Like Me + Sprawl to get the guy on his side...

Successes double+ difficulty: Amazing Success: Bruce gets more info, maybe helps the guy out with his drug problem, gets a free drink from the vendo-bot...whatever.

So, pretty simple right now. I've got some ideas for actual fight scenes and damage and such, but for a basic mechanic it's pretty solid from what I can see. There's a bit of fiddlyness with the difficulty numbers, but I kind of like that your ability is based on what kind of badass your character does. I'm thinking of some famous movies and books to see how I would build some famous characters--anyone got any ideas?

Sabermane

Validated User
Just wanted to show off.

I'm working on the Action Scene mechanics, and one of my goals was to make everything as simply as a Magic card for bad guys, environmental things, etc. Here's my rough first draft, but I really want to throw a vampire called "Baron VonSkull" into something...

Baron VonSkull
Type: Vampire, Boss
Difficulty: 4
Life: 8
Damage: 3
Traits:
Vampire: Baron VonSkull is a vampire. If Baron causes damage, regenerate 1 Life.
Hypnosis: Baron may choose to do Physical or Mental Damage
Necromancer: Instead of Damage, Baron may choose to raise 4 zombies [D:2/L:3/DMG:2] Undead.
Plot-Armor: Baron VonSkull is a major NPC and will not be killed in this fight scene. If he looses, he will taunt the heroes at their futility, and then escape by exploding into a wave of bats.

PIT TRAP
Type: Trap
Difficulty: 0*/3
Damage Dice: 4
Life: 2
Traits:
Trap: Pit Trap only activates if someone activates it. If any player rolls less than 2 successes or has “unlucky”, the Trap activates.
It’s a Long Way Down: Any character who takes damage from the Trap ends up at the bottom of the Pit. Climbing up will require defeating it’s Difficulty before any other actions can be taken. If a character has a rope or grappling hook, you can bypass this.

Questions? Comments? Middle Fingers?

Malckuss

Game Design Hobbyist
Validated User
I think might be made clearer with an example. Give us a running action scene with Bruce Willis, Cybered Investigator and Jason Statham, Overdriven Action Guy with Christian Bale, Tetragrammaton cleric who takes out vampires fighting Baron VonSkull, his zombies and the pit trap the baron is using to even the odds.

Sabermane

Validated User
I think might be made clearer with an example. Give us a running action scene with Bruce Willis, Cybered Investigator and Jason Statham, Overdriven Action Guy with Christian Bale, Tetragrammaton cleric who takes out vampires fighting Baron VonSkull, his zombies and the pit trap the baron is using to even the odds.
Here's a few rounds in a normal fantasy rip off universe...
Spoiler: Show

Four Characters: Able the Archer, Baker the Barbarian, Charlie the Coward and Delta the Druid have delved into the Temple of Terror. After fighting through all kinds of bad things, they’ve now made it the heart of the Temple, where the Stereotypically Evil Wizard is trying to summon Pure Evil. The SEW has prepared, calling up a horde of Harryhausen-like skeletons, and due to Delta’s sharp notice, they’ve also noticed the floor is trapped. This is what our heroes know is facing them:

Stereotypically Evil Wizard
Type: Individual, Wizard
Defense: 5
Life: 10 (being a liche has it’s advantages)
Damage: 1
Traits:
Dark Rite: Spend an action: Add to the Dark Rite. If Dark Rite gains 5 points, summon Dragon
Summon: Spend Action: Summon a 2/2/2 Zombie Horde
Black Magic: SEW can cast spells.
Undead: Technically this gives some stuff but we’re not dealing with it since the heroes forgot to pack a Paladin.

Skeleton Horde
Type: Horde, Skeletons
Defense: 2
Damage: 2
Life: 30
Traits:
Horde: Skeletons cause their X0 in damage dice to any character in close combat. (ex: 30=3 damage).

Trap
Notice: 1 Success
DMG: 2 Luck: If damage sustained, activate Trap
Traits: Trap is activated if a moving Player Character does not spend 1 Success.

Able decides to Attack with her bow, Baker Attacks with her Broadsword, Charlie is going to Stunt his way out of danger (actively dodging), and Delta will use a Brain roll to use magic and turn into a bear (that always helps!). For simplicty sake, we’ll ignore the rolling and cut to successes--A gets 4, B gets 3, C gets 2 and D gets 1.

Able is able (ha!) to spend 4 successes. 1 goes to beating the Trap (sure, she’s shooting, but Able wants to make sure), so Able doesn’t touch anywhere unsafe. 2 beat the Skeleton Horde defenses, and she spends the extra success for more damage. Her bow’s base damage is 3, +1 for the extra success, and she uses a Special Effect (Explosive Arrows) to double damage. That’s 8 points of damage.

Baker uses two successes to beat the oncoming horde, and spends the extra success for more damage. Baker is reminded about the Trap, and laughs. Baker’s anime-sized-surfboard/broadsword does 5 damage, and Baker also has a damage-doubling SFX, so that’s 10. The Skeleton Horde is down to 30-18=12 HP.

Charlie has 2 successes. He uses it to beat the Horde difficulty so he’s not stabbed, but that means he’ll be risking the Trap.

Finally, Delta has 1 success and glares at the writer. Delta uses the success to activate his spell “Turn into a Bear!”, and just crosses his fingers.

Now it’s the NPC’s turn. S.E.W. spends their action to do Dark Rite. Green balefire flickers. The Skeletons, currently at 12 HP, assign 1 Damage die to B,C, and D for being a Horde (remember Archer is shooting and not actually in close combat yet). Then, they add 2 more damage dice to Delta since he was unable to overcome the Difficulty. This is straightforward being attacked damage, so we check each character’s “Dodge” Defense trait (a base number, plus armor code--roll at or under to dodge, or take a hit). We’ll ignore the actual rolling, but we say Baker takes one damage, and Charlie and Delta roll under their Dodge trait and ignore any damage.

Now comes the trap. Baker and Charlie both need to roll 2 Damage Dice against their Luck trait. Both fail. Now we “Flip” the Trap Card:

PIT TRAP
There’s a hole in the middle of the field. If you activated this, you’re in it. Take 2 damage automatically.
DIFFICULTY: 2 to climb out of the hole, 1 to not fall into the hole while moving.

So Baker and Charlie take two hits, unable to soak.

ROUND 2!
Our heroes again act. Able shoots again, Baker plans on stunting his way out, and Delta--now a bear--plans on being all Bear. Charlie gets an idea, and announces he’s going to do an Eloquence action. To be fair, we now flip the results: Able gets 1, Baker 2, Charlie 3 and Delta 4. Delta, now a freakin’ Bear, rips into more skeletons, taking out 8 points of skeletons. We’ down to four points of skeletons. Charlie decides to spend an SFX point and use his power “taunt”--which makes enemies decide he’s the best target. Charlie uses his 2 successes to beat the skeletons. 5 points of skeletons (Charlie’s Elegance Forte) fall down into the pit and shatter. Charlie laughs...while the GM picks up two dice and rolls. One of the dice is under the Difficulty rating of the Skeletons, so he describes them reforming. Charlie’s last success goes to getting out of the pit, but that’s not two successes! The skeletons grin…

And then Baker comes smashing in with his sword and two successes, shattering them to dust. That leaves us with Able’s last success, who decides to use it to Aim, which will give Able a Trait for the next round.

The skeletons assign their damage dice to Delta, who handily soaks it while yelling “I’M A BEAR!!”. The S.E.W. decides to slow things down by casting a spell, and a new threat emerges:

Aura of Acid
Environmental
Defense: 3
Damage: 5
Life: 3
Aura of Acid causes 1 Hit automatically to all beings on the field once cast.
Aura of Acid loses one life every round

Being an environmental effect, unless the group comes up with a clever plan it's going to hit them. Also, like most environments, you can't actually fight it. The group groans, the GM reminds them that avoiding the pit trap will require 1 success, and we all go onto round three...

Last edited:
Top Bottom