• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I am a writer for CthulhuTech. Ask me anything!

martian_bob

Existential brain-poop
Validated User
NOTE: I've been granted mod approval for this post (thanks, Mengtzu!)

Hi there, I'm Bob. I've been writing for CthulhuTech for a couple years now, and involved in some way or another for five years or so. Since there's been discussion recently about the state of the game, specifically whether or not it's dead, not to mention ongoing discussion about the game's premise and themes, I thought I'd take some time to chat with the community. Feel free to ask me anything, I'll do my level best to respond to every (serious) question as best I can. If I miss a question, I apologize in advance.

And thanks!

Argent

Anywhere... just not here
Validated User
Is there a "The art of Cthulhutech" book planned yet? I know that MikeV has mentioned it (although as sort of a pipe dream) several times, and I´d be happy to pay cash money for one.

martian_bob

Existential brain-poop
Validated User
Is there a "The art of Cthulhutech" book planned yet? I know that MikeV has mentioned it (although as sort of a pipe dream) several times, and I´d be happy to pay cash money for one.
Given the issues we've been having with getting books published, I'd say this is definitely in the "pipe dream" category. We're going to focus on the metaplot books, if things go well and/or there's overwhelming interest we'll look into what comes next.

CowboyEnergy

Validated User
NOTE: I've been granted mod approval for this post (thanks, Mengtzu!)

Hi there, I'm Bob. I've been writing for CthulhuTech for a couple years now, and involved in some way or another for five years or so. Since there's been discussion recently about the state of the game, specifically whether or not it's dead, not to mention ongoing discussion about the game's premise and themes, I thought I'd take some time to chat with the community. Feel free to ask me anything, I'll do my level best to respond to every (serious) question as best I can. If I miss a question, I apologize in advance.

And thanks!
What was up with the rapey stuff? Like the rape-chair, or that one where a PC has to spend nearly the entire adventure trapped and being tortured and...uh, well, raped?

martian_bob

Existential brain-poop
Validated User
What was up with the rapey stuff? Like the rape-chair, or that one where a PC has to spend nearly the entire adventure trapped and being tortured and...uh, well, raped?
I've been expecting a question like this :) I've got a long-ish reply that I'm working on that I'll throw in spoiler tags.

The flippant tl;dr version is that the amount of rape in the game is somewhat overblown, and what's there is there to make the bad guys, well, really bad.

qasabah

Since the rape aspect seems to be such a lightning rod for the game are you planning to revise it?

I've never played CthulhuTech but it's literally the only thing I know about the game. With the increasing (no actual statistics to back this up just experience) number of females in the hobby is this perception something you'll be considering? I know rape is not confined to women, in reality nor the game, but, being objective, is it something you'll address to attract a wider audience or is it a core component you'll stand behind?

Last edited:

martian_bob

Existential brain-poop
Validated User
Do you think any references to rape actually succeeded in adding depth or spookiness to your bad guys? Because uh... it didn't.
There's mixed opinion here. Some folks think it added, some don't. Other people in the industry have praised us for "going there", others think it's just as unnecessary as you do.

BMonroe

Validated User
Do you think any references to rape actually succeeded in adding depth or spookiness to your bad guys? Because uh... it didn't.
They generally don't. They usually just make it feel like the authors are trying to be edgy but don't actually have any true ability to do so.

Top Bottom