• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I can watch The Expanse in Canada now. Hell yes! [Spoilers for season 1, till episode 4]

Rainfall

Banned
Validated User
Where in Canada can it be viewed streaming? Netflix, Hulu, Crave, Amazon..?
Amazon. They've purchased the shown, but there was some canadian rights to sort out before they could show it here.

Yeah, most of the characters are very true to the books, personality-wise (and physically, at least in very general terms), but Holden is different. Book Holden has the same rebellious streak as Show Holden, but instead of being brooding, he's very earnest and seems to have an "all-American" look to him. I always pictured him as similar-looking to Nathan Fillion, and I wonder if the show wanted to move away from that in order to not be seen as derivative of Firefly. If so, maybe they overdid it, because they basically turned him into Space Jon Snow, physically and personality-wise. But whatever. It still works.
So... He's basically Captain America with less plot protection? ;)

Myrme

Historian for Hire
Validated User
The books could feel a little too Great Man with Holden for me. With the show, it's more that the guy's got either the best or worst luck in the system and no one is quite sure which, least of all Holden.

That and in the show drops hints now and then that Holden's got issues. I have to wonder how much of his personality comes from being the sole - or nearly sole - survivor of multiple horrific events in rapid succession where thousands of people died around him. The Cant, the Donniger, Eros... that's got to screw with your head.

Rainfall

Banned
Validated User
That and in the show drops hints now and then that Holden's got issues. I have to wonder how much of his personality comes from being the sole - or nearly sole - survivor of multiple horrific events in rapid succession where thousands of people died around him. The Cant, the Donniger, Eros... that's got to screw with your head.
I think it's more that he doesn't really have anything to live for beside The Cause... and whatever The Cause is ain't that clear. He lost the chance of having a personal life when the Cant went down.

Alex has his past as Martian military, his lost familly and the Rossinante. He's experienced enough to know what he wants and what he stands for. Naomi's a disapointed idealist who gets to be the good guy with her crew, and she's fine going against her crew if they don't fit her definition of "the good guys". Amos doesn't care that much... But he'd like to do the right thing, so he'll follow someone he trusts to take the right decisions.

Holden has to be the big damn hero because he's got nothing else to do with himself. What's he gonna do otherwise, start a food stand on Earth?

Myrme

Historian for Hire
Validated User
And that's his whole damn life, really. Even back on Earth his family was grooming him to be some sort of hero for their cause, and he ran away from that because it was an insane losing war. Holden has almost Greek levels of Fate stacked against him.

ogier300

Validated User
I think it's more that he doesn't really have anything to live for beside The Cause... and whatever The Cause is ain't that clear. He lost the chance of having a personal life when the Cant went down.

Alex has his past as Martian military, his lost familly and the Rossinante. He's experienced enough to know what he wants and what he stands for. Naomi's a disapointed idealist who gets to be the good guy with her crew, and she's fine going against her crew if they don't fit her definition of "the good guys". Amos doesn't care that much... But he'd like to do the right thing, so he'll follow someone he trusts to take the right decisions.

Holden has to be the big damn hero because he's got nothing else to do with himself. What's he gonna do otherwise, start a food stand on Earth?
Except in the show, at least, Holden was planning to bail on the Canterbury when it got to Ceres, because he didn't want to be XO of the ship.

My sense of things is that the Roci has actually given Holden something to do and a place to belong that even the Cant didn't give him... mostly because rather than running from his Quixotic nature, he's embracing it. It's not an accident he names the ship for Don Quixote's horse.

Rainfall

Banned
Validated User
Except in the show, at least, Holden was planning to bail on the Canterbury when it got to Ceres, because he didn't want to be XO of the ship.
I did say his last chance to have his own life died with the Canterbury. I didn't mean the ship, nobody cared about the Cant before it blew up. :p

I'm up to season 3 now, and the show is STILL getting better. You can tell the intro is more or less done, the pieces are in place and the production team is firing on all cylinders.

Also, I think my favourite crew member is Amos. I am now, officially, a Bad Person.

ogier300

Validated User
I did say his last chance to have his own life died with the Canterbury. I didn't mean the ship, nobody cared about the Cant before it blew up. :p

I'm up to season 3 now, and the show is STILL getting better. You can tell the intro is more or less done, the pieces are in place and the production team is firing on all cylinders.

Also, I think my favourite crew member is Amos. I am now, officially, a Bad Person.
I don't know, I'm coming around to the idea that Amos is at heart a Good Person, he just isn't sure how or what that means in action. So I don't think you're a bad person for having him as your favorite. Now, if Jules-Pierre was a favorite...

Rainfall

Banned
Validated User
I wasn't super serious about the Amos comment, but I think you were aware of that. :D

But yeah, Amos is basically a rescued fighting dog. Sometimes he can have weird and scary reactions but he's the least likely to kill me for the Greater Good. That certainly counts for something.

Myrme

Historian for Hire
Validated User
I do like how the other characters, especially Alex, pick up on that there is something very wrong with Amos and that he's trying his best. The exchange of Alex being pissed off and mostly just not thinking and almost starting a fight with Amos, and Amos flattening him and almost begging him not to push him any farther. The implication to me was that it was taking everything Amos had to keep his instinct to maul whatever threatens him in check. "Please don't make me fight you, Alex. Because if I kill you, who'll fly the ship?"

Which carries a few messages: one, Amos knows exactly what happens when he fights. He kills people. And two, he'd really rather not hurt his friend but once violence is joined he can't stop himself.

Alex's reaction was also good. "What the hell happened to you?" Says a lot about Alex there too, that he realized someone as fucked up as Amos isn't just an asshole. People like that are made.

Rainfall

Banned
Validated User
Alex's reaction was also good. "What the hell happened to you?" Says a lot about Alex there too, that he realized someone as fucked up as Amos isn't just an asshole. People like that are made.
Of course Alex would pick up on that, he's the team's mom. :D

Really, Alex has the best deal of them all. He wanted to be a badass space adventurer. He also wanted a familly. He gets both on the Rossi. He doesn't exactly likes what it tells about himself, but who gets to pick what they are anyway?

Top Bottom