[I Hate] Inventory Tetris

nonsense

Hey Nonny-Nonny
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Why, oh why, can the developers of hackie-slashie Diablo-alikes (this time, Titan Quest) not take a few moments to write a sorting algorithm that jams all of your inventory together and opens up slots for new stuff?

For that matter, why not abandon the godawful differently-shaped-items-on-a-grid model of inventory altogether?

There is nothing epic about packing your goddamn bags.

Pillsy

Social Justice Worrier
Validated User
You speak the truth. Generally, I find inventory management in RPGs to be more of a hassle than something fun. There are usually other aspects of the game that break my suspension of disbelief far worse than being able to carry an arbitrary amount would.

Frank Sronce

Bad Intentions Paving
Validated User
Why, oh why, can the developers of hackie-slashie Diablo-alikes (this time, Titan Quest) not take a few moments to write a sorting algorithm that jams all of your inventory together and opens up slots for new stuff?

For that matter, why not abandon the godawful differently-shaped-items-on-a-grid model of inventory altogether?

There is nothing epic about packing your goddamn bags.
I don't mind the idea of having different sized objects taking up multiple squares (it's a good visual representation of "this takes up more space"), but at least keep them all rectangular boxes that point the same way.

And, of course, it's particularly stupid when you can also have 97 one-square items in one spot... provided they're all duplicates. :rolleyes:

Lazarus

Esoom G Noj
Validated User
packing algorithms are inefficient and not really solved ...

admittedly, on about a dozen items or so at most, it wouldn't take long...

Laz

IceShadow

Painting Fiend
Staff member
RPGnet Member
As an aside, I love Sanity Inventory for WoW. It compresses all of your stacks into the maximum possible for each with only one leftover stack.

When leather started stacking in 20 instead of ten, it zipped it all up in about ten seconds, as opposed to the half hour it would've taken by hand. :D

RemyDuron

Banned
I don't mind tetris inventories all that much... It's Tetris inventories where I can't flip the pieces that piss me off.

Samhaine

Loop Chance! Item Bonus!
Validated User
If I recall correctly, Arcanum had one of the best inventory tetris systems - clicking a button would sort the items to create holes but would also do a decent job of floating the more useful items to the top.

Neverwinter had one of the worst: you got virtually unlimited space for stuff that counted against your weight allowance and no way to auto sort it. Bags were all the same size. You could have done just as well by having everything be the same size, counting weight, and giving it a "bulky" tag if it wasn't supposed to get put into bags of holding.

Fortunately, it looks like Neverwinter Nights 2 is making everything one slot.

Melle

Retired User
I, er, sort of like inventory tetris. The more shapes and sizes available the better. :eek:

I guess I think of it as "bonus carrying capacity minigame" instead of "pointless chore".

mEGA

Mustakrakish
Validated User
Dungeon Siege II did this nicely. At least, in the recent expansion it did. I don't remember if it was in the base game, though. Hit a button, sorts everything & compresses to the top. Hit it again, compresses to the top with a different item type priority. It was nice.

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User
Dungeon Siege II did this nicely. At least, in the recent expansion it did. I don't remember if it was in the base game, though. Hit a button, sorts everything & compresses to the top. Hit it again, compresses to the top with a different item type priority. It was nice.
Yeah, they did it in the base game as well. Damn handy, that autosort feature.

Oh! And the spell "Turn to Gold" or whatever. Can't carry any more items, and it's just random junk? Turn it into gold! So, so handy.

Top Bottom