• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I have found my Holy Grail. :)

akajdrakeh

Pronounced 'akkadrakka'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Like a lot of gamers, I've been seaching high and low over the years in search of a 'holy grail' fantasy RPG - something that would press all of the right buttons for me. Well, I found it the other day on a review of systems that I'd looked at in the past, but discarded for one reason or another. This time around I must have been in a different frame of mind as what seemed a waste of my time several years ago really rang my bell this time around. I guess there is some value in re-examining the past. :)

Count Dorku

Renegade librarian
Validated User
Didn't the knight who found the Grail, um, die shortly afterward?

Just sayin', be careful around bright lights for a few days, man.

Elvish Lore

Hello!
Validated User
Like a lot of gamers, I've been seaching high and low over the years in search of a 'holy grail' fantasy RPG - something that would press all of the right buttons for me. Well, I found it the other day on a review of systems that I'd looked at in the past, but discarded for one reason or another. This time around I must have been in a different frame of mind as what seemed a waste of my time several years ago really rang my bell this time around. I guess there is some value in re-examining the past. :)
Panty Explosion is your Holy Grail?!

ROCK!

Asen_G

#3 Anti-Illusionism Squad
Validated User
The hivemind wants to know the name of the Holy Grail:D!

akajdrakeh

Pronounced 'akkadrakka'
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And what is the Holy Grail afterall ?
Dominion Rules

And why is that so?
I looked at Dominion Rules early on its development when it was pretty much just another man's D&D, but decided to take another look last month when I saw that it was available in print from Lulu. And it's changed a bunch from what I recall. Now it's more of a tool kit approach to fantasy, designed to be compatible with many different settings, and I think it works for that. Of particular interest to me are the detailed rules for monster creation (something sorely lacking from damn near all traditional fantasy RPGs I've come into contact with) and the emphasis on verisimilitude in combat (yes, I know, BAD WRONG FUN). It kind of reads like Harnmaster without the complexity (or at least without the giant list of abbreviations) and with more dials and knobs for adjusting the rule set to Your Favorite Setting.

I plan to try getting a game together set in Kalamar while I wait for my money to earn enough interest to cover the purchase of the Hackmaster core books. Of course, if the game plays as well as it reads, it might turn into an ongoing campaign (or the primary campaign).

Last edited:
Top Bottom