• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I have played Root, and it is an amazing game

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
One of my good friends kickstarted Root by Leder Games, and I have had three chances to play it already. What a work of beauty! It really is a great game--not surprising since I think that, since Vast may actually be my favorite boardgame these days. Anyway, I am looking forward to picking up my own copy once they are available for non-kickstarters.

Perdidas

infinite resignation
Validated User
I've been watching playthrough videos on youtube and reading the quickplay guide online, and am super excited to get my hands on a copy! I put through my preorder a few days ago, but sadly it probably won't arrive in Australia until mid-September.

Which factions did you play in your games? Did your group find the unique mechanics for each faction difficult to get a handle on?

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Why do you do this to me? I'm already hyped enough, but I didnt back so now is "when it goes to shops in EU, when it goes to shop in EU, WHEN" all days...

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Which factions did you play in your games? Did your group find the unique mechanics for each faction difficult to get a handle on?
We have only played with the Marquise, the Eyrie and the Woodland Alliance. I placed the alliance all three times, and finally won the last time. The mechanics are easy to learn, but for all of the factions other than the Marquise (who is pretty straightforward), there's definitely a learning curve in terms of strategy. This is similar to Vast, where the Knight and the Thief are very straightforward, but everyone else takes playing a few times to figure out how to play them well.

Contraserrene

Double Turkey
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just played it tonight. None of the four of us had played before, so each of us was learning the core mechanics plus our own special rules. We did the learning book, which takes everyone through two full scripted turns and then cuts you loose to do as you will.

By turn four we had a grasp of the mechanics.

By turn six we'd figured out at least one thing each of us had been doing wrong.

We didn't get to finish due to time constraints but we were engaged, scheming and laughing by turn five. We'll definitely play again.

Edit, followup the next day: One of the other players just emailed the rest of us with, "Dunno about you guys, but I have been thinking about cats, mice, and birds all morning."

I think it has grabbed us.

Last edited:

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Just played it tonight. None of the four of us had played before, so each of us was learning the core mechanics plus our own special rules. We did the learning book, which takes everyone through two full scripted turns and then cuts you loose to do as you will.

By turn four we had a grasp of the mechanics.

By turn six we'd figured out at least one thing each of us had been doing wrong.

We didn't get to finish due to time constraints but we were engaged, scheming and laughing by turn five. We'll definitely play again.

Edit, followup the next day: One of the other players just emailed the rest of us with, "Dunno about you guys, but I have been thinking about cats, mice, and birds all morning."

I think it has grabbed us.
Yeah, the first time we played, we got about three or four turns in, realized what we were all doing wrong, and scrapped it and started over.

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My one play of it so far did not go well, but I think that's because I introduced the game using the walkthrough, which did not explain everything as completely as would have been useful. Notably, it doesn't tell players to score VPs when they eliminate opposing units or tokens, and "activating" for crafting isn't explained. Next time I try it (which will be with a different group, as at least one player wasn't interested in another attempt), I'll introduce it like this:

- first to 30 wins
- (describe board and cards)
- get VPs by eliminating enemy warriors or tokens
- get VPs by crafting; each faction uses a different thing to craft
- each faction has an additional way to score VPs
- combat is not compulsory
- combat favors attackers
- cats start strong but thinly-spread
- birds starts weak, must do the same actions every turn or lose a whole turn
- alliance starts weak, becomes strong in a few turns
- vagabond does their own thing

Tokezo Tenken

I R Serious Monkey
Validated User
We have only played with the Marquise, the Eyrie and the Woodland Alliance. I placed the alliance all three times, and finally won the last time. The mechanics are easy to learn, but for all of the factions other than the Marquise (who is pretty straightforward), there's definitely a learning curve in terms of strategy. This is similar to Vast, where the Knight and the Thief are very straightforward, but everyone else takes playing a few times to figure out how to play them well.
The Vagabond really changes how the Marquise has to play or they have no chance.

This game is crazy good and I love it. I've also sold people on playing it by describing it as "Game of Thrones set in the world of Richard Scarry."

Tardigrade

oso de agua
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Oh, so I was not the only one. Because I've been reading the manuals and I still dont know how "activate" is defined.
Crafting a card requires a number of faction-dependent things of a number and suit as shown in the bottom corner of the card. (That suit doesn't always match the suit of the card, which threw me at first.) The cats use workshops, the birds use roosts, and the alliances use sympathy, with the suit of a given token determined by the suit of its clearing (e.g. a workshop in a fox clearing can be used to satisfy one fox icon in the bottom left of a crafting card). Vagabonds use hammers, with their suit matching the suit of the clearing with the vagabond figure. Each particular usable thing (workshop, roost, sympathy, hammer) can only be used once each round. As far as I can tell, "activating" refers to that. If you're familiar with Magic the Gathering, think of tapping each thing as it's used to craft (vagabonds do flip their hammers over).

Top Bottom