• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I have played Root, and it is an amazing game

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
I played again a few days ago, after I finally got my copy I've been waiting for half a year... and played someone else because now we have like 4 in the club

I'm still unsure about the game. First look is amazing. But play is ... I'm starting to think that it is a game you need to play a lot so everybody is good or you will lose or win by well, not much but the fact that nobody realized you were going to do so. I won the game as the Vagabond with the beaver and 2 turns of Favor of the X, in a great deal because nobody realized that and they were too busy fighting the Cat who almost won.

Again, I see a lot of potential, but maybe a lot of randomness too, and needs a lot of play to get to see which is which. Lets hope we actually test it - club is half divided into GREAT GAME and DONT WANT TO.
My copy (of the second printing without the updated rules that will be standard for the 3rd printing and beyond) will arrive tomorrow, so I haven't played yet. But having done some extensive research and having read everything the designer has written about the game, the game is designed with the notion that the various players will undercut the play of whoever is leading at the moment. So any player fortune should be undercut by adjustments in the priorities of the other players. Of course, until all the players really understand how the various factions play and how quickly any given faction can go from 10 VP away from a victory to "I won!" the game should feel a bit swingy and unbalanced.

Because the other players are a great deal of the intended balance in the game; if one or more are playing poorly or without a proper understanding of how the factions operate, the balance will be thrown off and the game may feel more random or unbalanced than it would with more experienced players. Which is a long winded way of saying that repeated play should be rewarded. The ideal scenario would be a group of regular players who are invested in learning the various factions- someone who has played the Vagabond (for instance) will have a better read on how far away that player is from victory and how best to undermine the Vagabond's path to victory to allow more time for them to attain victory.

Crumbs

Validated User
Yeah I dislike that you basically need to play it a buttload of times with the same people to balance the asymetry out. Fun game I just wished ot was more playable without experience.

taleswapper

Social Justice Lazy Warlord
Validated User
Yeah I dislike that you basically need to play it a buttload of times with the same people to balance the asymetry out. Fun game I just wished ot was more playable without experience.
I wouldn't say it's not playable. I think of it more like Chess. If 2 players have vastly different familiarity with the game, Chess is going to feel wildly unbalanced.

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
I'm not sure there's any solution to the steep learning curve of these asymmetrical games (Root and Vast). Sort of the nature of the beast. I think they're fun enough that it's totally worth it--Root and Vast are probably my two favorite games--but I could see how someone could feel differently about it.

Crumbs

Validated User
It is not the asymetry that is the problem but the fact the game is more balanced around everyone playing a near perfect game to mitigate it. Lots of games are asymetrical and require much less experience and high quality playing.

enoto

E, not O.
Validated User
Sounds a bit like Chaos in the Old World, where Khorne often runs away with the first game or two.

I'm playing this for the first time this weekend and am very excited about it. Any general advice I should give to my friends? "This is a wargame, and you kinda have to beat down the guy in the lead" pretty good?

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
It is probably more complicated than that. Again, I managed to go from around 12 points to victory in like 3 turns last time.

You have to keep everybody in check. You cant focus on one for too long. Apart, the nature of the factions may that advice a bit misleading, because the Cats and the Birds are probably going to be ahead and steadily looking like winning for a lot of the time, while the Alliance and Vagabond are more explosive.

You have to stop the ones in the lead, but you have to check everybody, I think. The one nobody is paying attention is probably getting away easy.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
I've finally gotten a copy for my library and have it checked out. I've been interested, and hoping to get a few plays in before the kickstarter goes live. I'm going to try running all four factions tonight, so I can teach better if we have a drop-out for our regular game tomorrow.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
And we did indeed play tonight. It was a rough start on the walkthrough, as one player has a very tough if you she doesn't understand what's going on. But after we got through the first two turns, things clicked for her and she started doing well as the vagabond.

I played the Eyrie, and besides a strike against the Cats, my problem was more the Vagabond- after I screwed up and went into turmoil, I had things planned out, then she destroyed the roost I planned to recruit and move out of, sending me into turmoil again. Cat and Alliance were also fighting, both aided by the Vagabond. We sadly had to call things short, but everyone is up for trying it again.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Frankly, unless I'm not understanding something, the Eyre seems to me to be the most difficult faction.

Top Bottom