• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I have played Root, and it is an amazing game

Mapache

Trickster God
Validated User
Frankly, unless I'm not understanding something, the Eyre seems to me to be the most difficult faction.
Making good use of their sort-of-programmed-action paradigm and skirting the edge of turmoil is fairly complex. In the hands of an advanced player that understands the dynamics of the game and just what risks to take, they can be truly obscene, but in the hands of someone who doesn't think things through, they'll repeatedly crash and burn.

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
I played the Eyrie, and besides a strike against the Cats, my problem was more the Vagabond- after I screwed up and went into turmoil, I had things planned out, then she destroyed the roost I planned to recruit and move out of, sending me into turmoil again. Cat and Alliance were also fighting, both aided by the Vagabond. We sadly had to call things short, but everyone is up for trying it again.
I think that with the Eyrie the trick is to see turmoil as something that's inevitable and that you plan for and manage as part of the rhythm of the faction, not as a fail state. You're going to go into turmoil; the trick is to make it happen on your terms.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
I think that with the Eyrie the trick is to see turmoil as something that's inevitable and that you plan for and manage as part of the rhythm of the faction, not as a fail state. You're going to go into turmoil; the trick is to make it happen on your terms.
Yeah, I think another play would go better. Being unfamiliar with the game, I did some things which I could see after I should have done differently- I just wasn't used to thinking ahead yet. My second turmoil, I was thinking ahead- but was counting on a single roost that I lost. Had the game gone the distance, I don't think I was out of the running.

The Vagabond looked intimidating to me just because of all the choices- while the Eyrie is growing out of its corner, the Vagabond can go anywhere and help or hinder anyone, or just ignore the armies and hit ruins and quests. Doing the Walkthrough put her hostile to me at the start, something that can't be counted on in future games.

I'm just trying to figure out when I can get three people back over to play again, and I'm probably going all-in when the kickstarer hits.

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Yeah, I think another play would go better. Being unfamiliar with the game, I did some things which I could see after I should have done differently- I just wasn't used to thinking ahead yet. My second turmoil, I was thinking ahead- but was counting on a single roost that I lost. Had the game gone the distance, I don't think I was out of the running.

The Vagabond looked intimidating to me just because of all the choices- while the Eyrie is growing out of its corner, the Vagabond can go anywhere and help or hinder anyone, or just ignore the armies and hit ruins and quests. Doing the Walkthrough put her hostile to me at the start, something that can't be counted on in future games.

I'm just trying to figure out when I can get three people back over to play again, and I'm probably going all-in when the kickstarer hits.
I mean, that said, I have only played the Eyrie once and I got my clock cleaned. I feel like they're an easy faction to play but a difficult faction to play well.

Deflare

Validated User
Finally got a game in with other players. In the process, I discovered something that explained why my solo games had been so hard--apparently, you DON'T score VPs for killing enemy warriors by default. That was looking like a huge advantage for the Marquise, because I just started with more forces on the board to feed into the meatgrinder--even when I lost, I moved toward victory.

Game ended in the Vagabond quickly jumping from 15ish points to victory, as the player kept shoving Aid over at their ally among the Eyrie (despite the Eyrie's protests). Not entirely sure how to fight that, aside from just beating up the stupid raccoon and breaking all their stuff so they can't do as much in a turn. One factor was that the Eyrie was spread over several different nations, so the Vagabond could always scoot to the appropriate space to start handing cards over.

Game's fun, and we're interested in trying again. My interest in solo play has also been revived by realizing why the Mechanical Marquise was kicking my butt so hard.

Gaffa

Fallen Writer
Validated User
Game ended in the Vagabond quickly jumping from 15ish points to victory, as the player kept shoving Aid over at their ally among the Eyrie (despite the Eyrie's protests). Not entirely sure how to fight that, aside from just beating up the stupid raccoon and breaking all their stuff so they can't do as much in a turn. One factor was that the Eyrie was spread over several different nations, so the Vagabond could always scoot to the appropriate space to start handing cards over.
Well, the first thing is, yes, attacking the stupid raccoon and breaking their stuff is the best way to handle the Vagabond. Permanently broken gear is removed from the game (unlike square or circle tokens, which are returned to other faction boards), so that's a potential long-term goal in fighting the Vagabond.

Also, make sure the Vagabond player is exhausting an item to hand over a card. Outside of their free move in Birdsong, everything a Vagabond does on the board requires them to exhaust an item. Then, make sure you don't craft any Bags, Tea, or Coins. Without Coins as gear, the Vagabond is only drawing 1 card a turn, unless they're fulfilling quests, but if they're chasing quests to draw cards, those are two items they're using that aren't being used for something else (like giving the Birds cards). Without Tea, they're only flipping three items back to ready every turn, and without Bags they can't hold that many things in their backpack. The raccoon should be facing a dilemma every turn in that they have too much they want to do and not enough items to fuel them, even if they're not being whacked on by pissed off cats and mice.

But especially in that situation, make sure nobody is crafting Coins -- drawing only one card a turn really hurts the Vagabond, and slows down their progression to just dumping their hand for points to an unwilling ally.

Random Goblin

Esquire
Validated User
Finally got a game in with other players. In the process, I discovered something that explained why my solo games had been so hard--apparently, you DON'T score VPs for killing enemy warriors by default. That was looking like a huge advantage for the Marquise, because I just started with more forces on the board to feed into the meatgrinder--even when I lost, I moved toward victory.
Yeah, you get VPs for killing enemy tokens, not warriors.

Mapache

Trickster God
Validated User
Well, the first thing is, yes, attacking the stupid raccoon and breaking their stuff is the best way to handle the Vagabond. Permanently broken gear is removed from the game (unlike square or circle tokens, which are returned to other faction boards), so that's a potential long-term goal in fighting the Vagabond.
There's no such thing as "permanently broken gear". Items the Vagabond can't fit in their satchel at end of turn are permanently lost, but that's a choice they have to willingly make. The worst you can do to them is break all their stuff so that they choose to spend their entire turn idling in a forest, repair all their stuff at end of turn, and be immune to attacks until their next turn, effectively costing them an entire turn (which is a big penalty in a game that goes about seven turns typically).

Gaffa

Fallen Writer
Validated User
There's no such thing as "permanently broken gear". Items the Vagabond can't fit in their satchel at end of turn are permanently lost, but that's a choice they have to willingly make. The worst you can do to them is break all their stuff so that they choose to spend their entire turn idling in a forest, repair all their stuff at end of turn, and be immune to attacks until their next turn, effectively costing them an entire turn (which is a big penalty in a game that goes about seven turns typically).
Yes, a much better way of expressing what I was trying to say. Thank you!

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
Played a full game tonight- I stuck with the birds, my wife with the cats, but our friends swapped the Vagabond and Alliance. Maybe because of this, the Alliance player was very+ timid to start. And we'd implemented the rule changes which lowered the points on her Sympathy track, which she didn't think fair as she lagged in points.

Meanwhile, no one really wanted to throw the first punch, which was letting me grow unrestricted as the Eyrie. Alas, as my points swiftly rose, the combined might of the forest rose against me- revolts, cat attacks, and the Vagabond jumping at me, I very swiftly went from all but one roost out to just two roosts, then one as I fell into turmoil. The Cats jumped up in points, but a flurry of activity sent the Alliance's point total skyrocketing, and she took the game.

We all had fun, with my wife deciding this was the sort of wargame she could get behind. We hope to play again soon, with everyone trying a new faction (the better to learn just what they're doing).

Top Bottom