I have watched my first anime

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
I've no idea if you can find these in the UK very easily, but I can't help but recommend The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (aka just Macross) and Fist of the North Star. They both date back to the early 80s so the animation quality isn't amazing by today's standards, but they both helped establish so many things that are commonplace these days they're still worth watching IMO.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure has already been mentioned and is another good choice if for no other reason that everything references it. Its not just a meme. Hell, Guile from Street Fighter II? Jojo reference.

It is also worth noting that Jojo, particularly the early stuff, kinda ripped off Fist of the North Star and stuck it in a different setting.

MABfan11

Validated User
That anime being Sword Art Online, through to the end of the Fairy Dance arc.

Now, looking online, it does seem to have its critics (for not entirely unfounded reasons), but I have enjoyed it. Can anyone recommend a good next move? The isekai element isn't essential, but something that similarly action-based would be great.

One proviso: I have to be able to view it in the UK. You can consider me a total newbie to anime, because easily-viewable anime hasn't really been much of a thing here outside Pokemon until quite recently
Re:Zero is a must, easily the best isekai ever

Last edited:

MABfan11

Validated User
...Oh. Oh dear.

If we're talking about prominent anime franchises with lots of fantastical action scenes that someone who enjoyed Sword Art Online would like... there's something we're leaving out. It's not as prominent as AoT or MHA, and there's plenty of stuff to get to before Senex even has to think about it, but I don't think it can be ignored as an option.

Okay. Let me tell you about Fate.

Once upon a time, lo about 15 years ago, there was a video game called Fate/stay night. Don't ask me what any of those words are doing there, but that's the title. I won't bore you with the details of how it played, but it essentially had three radically different storylines which diverged from each other based on decisions the characters made early on. The core scenario that said characters had to deal with didn't change, though, and it was something like this:

It's present-day Japan. There's this magical artifact that's believed to grant wishes. Periodically, it holds a tournament (which nobody has yet won) where seven mages identified as Masters are allowed to summon superpowered beings from mythology and history, called Servants. Hercules, Joan of Arc, Cú Chulainn, Alexander the Great, whoever. Each team consists of one Master, one Servant, and the last team standing gets a wish for each of them from the artifact, aptly dubbed the Holy Grail.

Now, those three different storylines I mentioned? There are also three anime adaptations of this game. One from 2006 that hasn't aged well, mostly adapting the first "route" with elements from the other two, not all of which always make sense. One from 2014 focusing on the second route, Fate/stay night: Unlimited Blade Works. And an in-progress movie trilogy adapting the third, Fate/stay night: Heaven's Feel, which Wikipedia says is licensed by MVM Entertainment but I have no idea where you would go to watch it.

Oh, by the way, the game has a series of prequel novels about the hero's dad, called Fate/Zero, written by the guy who would later decide he really loved puppet wuxia. They got their own anime too, in 2011. And did I mention an alternate-timeline novel series called Fate/Apocrypha with twice as many Servants that also got an anime in 2017? And you can't forget the other alternate timeline shown in the game Fate/Extra, which kinda-sorta got adapted in the 2018 anime Fate/Extra Last Encore, or a couple other anime series that are more or less pure parody, or the ridiculously profitable mobile game Fate/Grand Order which is also getting a TV anime in 2019...

You get the idea. Keeping track of Fate continuity is a mess, and it doesn't help that the lore is infamously convoluted, seemingly every rule of magic has someone who breaks it, half the Servants don't fit at all with real history or myth, and somehow no writer has had someone summon Julie d'Aubigny seriously people she's right there. Don't even try to figure out how Tsukihime and The Garden of Sinners fit into the mythos.

Some will recommend you just turn your brain off and soak up the flashy fight scenes, others will say you should just watch Fate/Zero and ignore everything else, and still others will insist you hunt down the less-than-stellar English fan patch for the original game (it's never been officially released in English, which I assume is because the license price is lolwut). I don't have the guts to dive deep into Fate myself to give more personalized recommendations, and my last direct exposure to the franchise was at least a decade ago, before the good (?) anime adaptations started happening, so I'll just say... if you watch some of it, and your head starts to hurt, don't say I didn't warn you.

TL;DR: Wacky versions of historical and mythical figures beat each other up in a weeks-long battle royale.
the best way to explain Fate for Senex Senex would be to show him this video:

Slippery_jim_digriz

Stahle Ratte
Validated User
And if you are willing to watch shows that old (Bebop aired in 1998), and you do happen to have Netflix, and you expect to still be watching anime a few months from now... then when Netflix starts streaming it, consider watching what's probably the most influential anime of the 1990s, with a cultural impact some compare to Star Wars in the US -- the 1995 giant robot series Neon Genesis Evangelion. If you do, don't forget the concluding movie The End of Evangelion, either; Netflix will be streaming that too.
I want to go off chart here and recommend Trigun. Pretty light at first and fun gets a little dark at the end but still fun.

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, Re:Zero is way different from what might considered standard isekai fare. At least, it's an on-target deconstruction and inverts a lot of tropes. Might want to start with some other isekai to get a handle on the tropes first. Konosuba is satire and more like a standard isekai and also pretty darn funny and clever, if one is in the mood for an isekai that's a little different.

Top Bottom