• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I just picked up Untold - Adventures Await -

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User

Has anyone else picked this up? It’s basically a heavily structured RPG using those Rory’s Story Cubes.

It’s an episodic game where your session plays over 5 specific scenes:
i. A Dangerous Dilemma
ii. The Plot Thickens
iii. An Heroic Undertaking
iv. The Truth Revealed
v. The Final Showdown

There’s a small deck for each scene that you draw from initially so everything isn’t *exactly* the same beats, and you guide the story by rolling and placing the “story cubes” in spots on those cards. Also, you don’t actually make characters until after the first scene is set which honestly feels a bit like making your characters after you know the set-up for the adventure you’re about to play. Which, when I put it like that, sounds kinda okay.

I know I probably described this bad, but there’s a pdf of the rule book on Hub Games’ site too, so you can give it a look if you’re interested.

Very curious if anyone else’s picked this up & what they think of it.

paolorob

Validated User
I picked it up (actually, I pledged for it on Kickstarter), and I think highly of it. I don't play it as much as I should, but that's because I'm an old fart that plays with other old farts old-farty RPGs, but if I've ever seen a generic, no-prep, introductory RPG, that's Untold.

There were some bits in the playtest version of the rules that did not make it on the final release, but I actually liked more, such as Outcomes having consequences on Specials, disabling or reinstating them. Specials (that were called Attributes back then) could become impaired, damaged, lost, or stolen as a result of a failed Outcome. Now it's more a freeform approach, and it's sort of implied in the Reference section at the end of the rules, in the Status paragraph.

Private Eye

Private Eye
Validated User
I've got it too and have played it a couple of times. Personally I really like it, but there are a couple of players I've played it with who struggle with the open nature of it. We have used it in a noir sci-fi setting and I would play it again in an instant

6inTruder

Oscars are Duche!
Validated User
I am super happy to hear such positive responses! My local shop got a few copies in today and I was like, “wait, is this that RSC RPG I heard about last year???” So I just bought a copy pretty impulsively.

Have any of y’all tried playing with alternate story cubes? Because I’m thinking about buying a bunch of the expanded story cube sets (I already have a couple).

NinjaWeasel

Both Cute and Stealthy
Validated User
I bought it about 18 months ago and read it but haven't played it with anyone except myself. :cry: I do really like it. It's a nice, simple game and very well presented. I have recommended it to other people but have suggested people take a look at the free rules first. It's a great way to get the creative juices flowing.

There were some bits in the playtest version of the rules that did not make it on the final release, but I actually liked more, such as Outcomes having consequences on Specials, disabling or reinstating them. Specials (that were called Attributes back then) could become impaired, damaged, lost, or stolen as a result of a failed Outcome.
That sounds interesting. Are the playtest rules, like the final published rules, publically available anywhere?

Have any of y’all tried playing with alternate story cubes? Because I’m thinking about buying a bunch of the expanded story cube sets (I already have a couple).
I haven't tried it with alternative sets but I do have several other sets. There's a few symbols here and there where I'm like "what the heck is that?" but otherwise they're all decent quality, like the core set's cubes. There's a few interesting ones, like Actions and Clues, which could be used for very specific purposes in the game. I don't think you'll lose out by not having extra sets but I think, if you play regularly, the option to mix things up is probably a very nice thing.

paolorob

Validated User
That sounds interesting. Are the playtest rules, like the final published rules, publically available anywhere?
They are still available on Boardgamegeek.

Prototype rules: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/147403/untold-prototype-rules

Final rulebook: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/150844/untold-adventures-await-final-rulebook-single-page

(I think of Untold as an RPG, but the publisher decided to market it as a boardgame, hence the inclusion in BGG).

Last edited:

paolorob

Validated User
I'm gonna cheat and copy/paste a reply I gave on another board: I have several sets and they're all mixed together in a bag. I stick to the rules of the game (9 dice and that's it), but I just draw them randomly from the bag.

The secret is to let inspiration guide you, and to know the source material: if I'm playing in a samurai-themed game and I roll Lumpy Space Princess from the Adventure Time set during a Revelation chapter, it's not like LSP suddenly appears in imperial Edo. It's more like, I know that LSP is a flying, shallow, obnoxious, hobo-princess, so maybe it turns out that a certain geisha character is really an exiled princess, or something like that.

Tristen

Validated User
Untold has been on the top of my wish list since it came out. I just never get around to buying it.

It’s pitched as a game mostly for kids, but how easy is it to steer the stories into rougher territory?

NinjaWeasel

Both Cute and Stealthy
Validated User
It’s pitched as a game mostly for kids, but how easy is it to steer the stories into rougher territory?
I think it's pitched as more of a "family" or "all ages" game than a "kids" game I think. It does have cartoony artwork but I really like the art personally.

In terms of the nature of the stories... that's entirely down to the group playing. The game structures the stories being played out but it doesn't affect the themes. The cubes can be interpreted in all manner of different ways. There are horror themed cubes if you want some mechanical way to steer things into darker territory.

Top Bottom