• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I need help with an idea

HazicTheRiser

Validated User
So I'm a 2nd level necromancer and I was hoping to get some help in figuring out some ideas to change an item I got into a light crossbow. It's a custom item that is a dragon trap statue. It does this "if you set this trap against a door frame and speak the magic word the Trap we'll set and anyone opening the door without speaking the magic word we'll set off a gout a breath determined by the color of the Dragon color is determined when the Trap is set deck save dc13 2D 6 breath in 5 x 10 line" anyone got any ideas on how to change it to a light crossbow?

nitsua60

What do you mean "change the item into a light crossbow"? Do you mean to disguise it as a light crossbow? Do you mean that you don't want this item but you do want a light crossbow? Are you a GM trying to do something else I haven't thought of?

HazicTheRiser

Validated User
I want to change the item into a light crossbow. Like basicly a gun or something of the sorts. But I don't know dnd that well to know if there is a way to do that

nitsua60

Okay, so you're looking to transform the gas-/electricity-/fire-/acid-spewing magically-keyworded area-of-effect trap into a mundane ranged simple weapon. The reason I put it that way is that, from my gm-perspective, they're nothing alike under the hood: one is the occasion of saves against AoE damage. One is the generator of single-target attacks at 8x the range. To my ear it's like asking how to change a cat into a crossbow. (Actually, that one's easier: the 9th-level spell True Polymorph will do the trick.)

Fabricate (a 4th-level spell) is in the ballpark: it'd require your GM allow you to use the trap as "raw materials" and it specifically calls out weapons as something that *can't* be fabricated, though, unless you have a requisite tool proficiency.

But here's the real solution: convince someone that your trap is worth 25gp and then buy a light crossbow. Seriously, they're 25gp--I'm still not clear on where the need to have a light crossbow that was originally this trap comes from.

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think he means that he wants to turn a trap into a portable weapon. Like a flamethrower, basically, except it can also shoot acid, lightning,etc.

HazicTheRiser

Validated User
But the problem is that the max level for my campaign is sadly level 5 if my party does litterly everything. There is a chance that I can transfer my character to later campaigns but I was hoping for ideas to change it sooner rather than later

nitsua60

That's exactly it Sage. I was hoping to make an unlimited ammo ranged weapon basicly.
Okay, I follow you now. There's nothing in the rules I can think of that really does that for you, but there's nothing explicitly preventing it, either. Thus we enter the land of "talk to your GM."

Some gms would look at this and say "unlimited ammo, magical damage, targets saves rather than AC--no chance in hell!!!" Others would look at it and say "that's an awesome idea, I love it, it's doing similar amounts of damage to a greatsword and only has the range of a reach weapon, should be fine, fire away!" Let us know which yours is =)

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Right. Well, here's my two cents. There are basically two main things to keep in mind.

First, should you even be able to do this? Should you be able to take a defensive item and turn it into an unlimited capacity offensive weapon? Regardless of how much it might make sense in character, this is still a game that's intended to be fun and mostly balanced for all concerned. So. Should you?

Honestly... yes. It's actually kind of weak! 2d6 damage in a 2-square line. Compare that to Acid Splash, which can target any two adjacent squares within 60 feet and whose damage eventually scales up to 4d6. The save DC is usually higher than 13 as well. And Acid Splash is a cantrip, that has unlimited capacity as well. Starting at level 5, using this item actually means you lose damage. because it's harder to line up properly. Note also that this item can cause "friendly fire", hurting allies who get in the way. Before level 5 it's good but not enormously so. (Ok, you can choose the element. That's neat sometimes but in most fights doesn't matter at all.)

If you would want the item to do more damage or have greater range, that would change matters. Then it depends on how the item would compare to normal attack cantrips. I might allow turning it into an item which allows you to slightly increase the power of cantrips instead, such as changing one energy type for another, or increasing the saving throw DC a bit.

So that takes us to the second thing: how would you do this? Honestly, there are no rules for this. If I was the DM I'd just allow you to modify the item in between adventures, maybe spend a small bit of money to represent materials used.

But I'm not the DM. You will have to ask yours how this would work.

Top Bottom