• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I need help with an idea

HazicTheRiser

Validated User
Well the problem is that I don't know my dm that well. It's my 4th session with him so I cant say if it's something he would allow. So any tips on how should I bring this up with him?

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Honestly, I'd just bring it up some time before or after the game. Not in the middle of it, the DM probably has other things on his mind then. Something like, "Oh by the way, the dragon statue trap? That's pretty cool but I was thinking, we're usually the ones who kick in the doors, not the ones defending the doors. So I'm having trouble seeing how how I'd use it to full effect. Could there maybe be some way my character could change it, turn it into something that helps offensively? Turn it into something like a cantrip or help with those?"

Alternatively, you could also just send him an email with a link to this thread, saying, "I had an idea, see the link for more info and tell me what you think."

HazicTheRiser

Validated User
Ok I'll show him this thread when I get a chance. Honestly thank you you guys were great! I'm very hopeful that my dm will consider this idea!

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hey Mr. DM? When you're reading this? Consider letting Hazic use this idea. It's harmless and players will enjoy the game much more if they put in some ideas of their own like this. (y)

HazicTheRiser

Validated User
Another problem that I have (different topic) is I'm a level 2 necromancer but I want to raise zombies but my cap for my campaign is sadly level 5 that's litterly doing everything that I can possibly do in the campaign. Animate corpse is a 3rd level spell. Any ideas for how I might get the ability to cast this early (Even if it's through magic items)?

nitsua60

Hey Mr. DM? When you're reading this? Consider letting Hazic use this idea. It's harmless and players will enjoy the game much more if they put in some ideas of their own like this. (y)
Ditto =)
Esp. since this is a limited-duration campaign--Hazic has mentioned a few times that it's only going to L5--there's little downside and plenty of upside.

HazicTheRiser

Validated User
Another problem that I have (different topic) is I'm a level 2 necromancer but I want to raise zombies but my cap for my campaign is sadly level 5 that's litterly doing everything that I can possibly do in the campaign. Animate corpse is a 3rd level spell. Any ideas for how I might get the ability to cast this early (Even if it's through magic items)?
Actually I will not ask about this. I can see how this would be a bit much

nitsua60

Night Caller is a magic item found in The Sunless Citadel (chapter 1 of Tales from the Yawning Portal) that animates dead--that adventure's designed for levels 1-3, so it's not crazy to ask your GM if you can find/acquire/quest for (possibly during downtime?) something like it.

HazicTheRiser

Validated User
Oh ok thank you! You guys are honestly great and thank you again for helping me out! I will definitely inform you guys about what his final decision is

g33k

Validated User
I will just note, for the record, that as a GM (in general: I am not the GM in question!) I'd be reluctant to give ONE pc some power-ups unless I was giving the others comparable power-ups; and then of course I'd probably find it advisable to power-up the bad guys, ALSO to a comparable degree ...

Depending on the setting & the campaign, I might of might not allow this specific thing. Is this... a Pathfinder game? D&D 3.x? Or ... ? If it's a system with extensive magic-item-creation rules, and I was looking at a long-term campaign, I would need to take a long hard think about things before I explicitly decided to violate those rules, because I might expect the players to begin engaging with them more and more as the game progressed.

FWIW and all that.

I agree that letting the PC's be cool and badass, and letting the players have fun & engage, is a Good Thing!

Top Bottom