• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I Need To GM...Something (Discord)

WubbaLubbaDubDub

Banned
Validated User
I prefer to play with friends to strangers, I prefer to play in person to via telepresence, and I prefer to GM over PCing. But with my current life situation, only that last preference is one I have

I won't go as far as using the words "unique opportunity" but I'm hoping some people will see this thread as an unusual opening. Usually the person willing to GM has already decided upon the game they want to GM. I am willing (and I do believe able) to GM practically anything, within certain constraints*.

Whatever I do run will be in Discord, using voice chat as an expediter. Players who don't have or don't like voice capability aren't required to use voice chat as long as they type at a pretty good WPM. As usual I'm looking for 4-5 players and as usual I'd be willing to run for as few as two or three. My local FLGS don't have any D&D or Pathfinder events where I might seek out fellow gamers until mid February, so in a perfect world, I'd like to get something going well in advance of that. I've marked watch this thread & receive e-mail notifications.

* I prefer "traditional RPGs" to "rules-lite storygames", I like to have a fair amount of crunch to work with. I'm also comfortable with various "rules-medium" systems, hybrids, anomalies, and oddities (Diaspora, for instance), a few of which I wrote and published myself (a couple of them are Silver or better on DriveThru).

It would take too much effort to think of and list all of the systems I consider myself proficient in, but I think it's fair to say I can run most of the ones you've heard of. If you want to play something I've never run before, perhaps something obscure (especially if you have a friend or two with similar proclivities), chances are I can learn it within a week. Discounting anything that invokes personal squick for one reason or another, the only games I won't run are games that, having worked as a professional game designer, I adjudge to be objectively badly designed games. In my experience these are quite few and far between: most games, even ones that are technically unplayable as written (cough *RIFTS* cough) have some merits for players to enjoy.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm very interested depending on time and system.

My personal preference would be for Chronicles of Darkness other than Werewolf or Beast. PtC2e, MtAw2e, GtSE2e backer draft, or non-God-Machine mortals, in no particular order, would be my top picks from within that setting.

Schleiermacher

Validated User
What time zone are you in? What days and times are you looking to play?

Schedules permitting, I'd very much like to play some kind of superhero game. M&M 2E, GURPS Supers, Champions (which I have only barely played before but would like to play more) all jump to mind, although games in adjacent genres like Feng Shui or Legends of the Wulin would be fun too.

WubbaLubbaDubDub

Banned
Validated User
Well, color me pleasantly surprised at the amount of interest! Time-Zone: US Mountain Time. It is 12:40PM local time as I start this post. (I find the forums' multi-quote features a bit unwieldy so I'm just using quotation marks for now.)

"I'm very interested depending on time and system.

My personal preference would be for Chronicles of Darkness other than Werewolf or Beast. PtC2e, MtAw2e, GtSE2e backer draft, or non-God-Machine mortals, in no particular order, would be my top picks from within that setting. "

Rook, first off, I love capybaras. Secondly, Chronicles of Darkness is what's also referred to as "nWoD", right? I'm familiar with the basic mechanics but not many of the individual splats, most of my experience is limited to V:tM or V:tR. Of those you mentioned, I think I'd most like to run Mage (I have wanted to run Mage literally my entire life and never gotten a chance) or Promethean: The Created. One of the awesome things about HERO System is that both of those character concepts are completely supported in HERO System because HERO System supports literally every character concept and omg I love HERO System squee etcetera lol.

I don't know what God Machine is except that it has an awesome sounding name. Default World of Darkness mortals is definitely a fairly pure horror experience as I understand it, and I take my player-terrifying very seriously and don't feel up to scaring people adequately with the handicap of playing with new people on Discord.

"What's the chance of maybe running some 13th Age stuff? "

Raveled, I'm certainly not agin' it. At a glance it's class and level d20/D&D-esque which again, I have a lot of experience with it. I'd just have to research the setting/flavor. It does seem to depart fairly far from the other two ideas mentioned, but I'm definitely not against it.

"What time zone are you in? What days and times are you looking to play?

Schedules permitting, I'd very much like to play some kind of superhero game. M&M 2E, GURPS Supers, Champions (which I have only barely played before but would like to play more) all jump to mind, although games in adjacent genres like Feng Shui or Legends of the Wulin would be fun too. "

Schleiermacher--first off, did you used to post on the Dumpshock forums or maybe the official Shadowrun forums? I remember your name from somewhere and I don't think it was here.

Well, the good news is right now I am only employed in the sense that I'm self employed as a professional creative, so I make my own schedule and hence can be available whenever you guys are (yayyyy). Later this month I'm probably going to get a part time job but I don't imagine that will effect my availability TOO much. If anyone still interested wants to tell me what time zone you're in, it couldn't hurt.

HERO System (Champions) is one of my very, very favorite systems of all time and I consider myself to be very proficient in it. I don't think I'm actually bending myself over that far backwards when I think that HERO to run a P:tC or M:tA/Champions matchup. Probably worth mentioning that I grew up on the "Iron Age" of comics which I know a lot of people hate. My Champions campaigns tend towards Dark Champions with higher power level and more power sources although it's perfectly possible to be a non-killing traditional superhero. I hope that my stuff takes the best of Iron Age features without any of the silly Rob Liefield crap but it definitely isn't full on rosy four-color nostalgia.

Rook S.

scritches make me floof!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I've played HERO System, and I'm not particularly interested in playing it again. Sorry. I've looked at 13th Age and it interests me even less.

Have fun.

Schleiermacher

Validated User
I, on the other hand, like what I'm hearing! A HERO game that's somewhere in the Modern Age/Iron Age area of the genre sounds great, maybe along the lines of Warren Ellis' Stormwatch and/or John Ostrander's Suicide Squad? I like a bit of grit and uncertainty in my superhero stories as long as things don't get too excessive or cynical.

WubbaLubbaDubDub WubbaLubbaDubDub , I've never posted on Dumpshock or the Shadowrun forums, but I have used this nick on various other forums before so... maybe we've run into each other? I'm on CET time (I live in Norway), so our time zones are rather far apart, but I'm a student, so I, too, have a very flexible schedule. I'd actually prefer to play on a weekday - I'm sure we can work something out.

Nate_MI

Formerly 'Raveled'
Validated User
History lesson! The first edition of World of Darkness, the one with Vampire: the Masquerade and Werewolf: the Apocalypse, was old World of Darkness, or oWoD. Then in the 2000s there was the reboot of new Wold or Darkness, or nWoD; that's the one with Vampire: the Requiem and Werewolf: the Forsaken. Then they did the God-Machine Chronicle and remade nWoD into the Chronicles of Darkness; if you've seen stuff published by Onyx Path, it's probably cWoD. All of cWoD is still VtR and WtF but with some mechanics tweaked around.

Or else you've seen the 20th Anniversary books, also put out by Onyx Path! That's going back to oWoD and that's really all I can say about them. Friends of mine who picked them up said it was mostly just cleaning up mechanics and unifying world elements that had gotten unwieldy and frayed over too many supplements. Lastly there's nuWW, owned by Paradox Interactive (yes, the folks behind Europa Universalis and Stellaris). They're coming out with a 5th Edition of World of Darkness, basically just oWoD brought forward to the 21st Century. That's a whole can of worms.

I could do some mortals World of Darkness, but I'd like to see something a bit different. Not simply living in a crappy world while weird stuff happens around/to us. Give me something with teeth -- like members of a military unit tasked with investigating and combat the supernatural in the Roman Empire.

Top Bottom