• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Subscribed!

Magi's Grandson (Kenja no Mago) #25

So basically, this lot are the ones who came the closest to actually taking down the ultimate magicians and walk away. It can only mean one thing, we need another training arc.

Shay Guy

Validated User
A whole country getting spirited away is an old, old trope. Very popular Alien Space Bat territory back when the alternative history groups on Usenet were still alive.
I was going to say that it made me think of this ISOT story, the author of which claims to be more interested in "1942 USA in 2002" but then focuses all his efforts on the "2002 USA in 1942" side of the scenario. Because that's always the appeal -- a larger-scale version of the old "egghead and screwheads" fantasy, combined with the thrill of overwhelming firepower. See: Gate. Also 1632, though admittedly that tempers things by making Grantville a very small fish in a vicious pond that has to punch way outside its weight class.

Few readers would be interested in their country getting isekai'd into a place where they're less powerful and important than before.

chiasaur11

Validated User
I was going to say that it made me think of this ISOT story, the author of which claims to be more interested in "1942 USA in 2002" but then focuses all his efforts on the "2002 USA in 1942" side of the scenario. Because that's always the appeal -- a larger-scale version of the old "egghead and screwheads" fantasy, combined with the thrill of overwhelming firepower. See: Gate. Also 1632, though admittedly that tempers things by making Grantville a very small fish in a vicious pond that has to punch way outside its weight class.

Few readers would be interested in their country getting isekai'd into a place where they're less powerful and important than before.
Makes sense.

Stories tend to be about exceptional people, ones who make a large impact on their surroundings, and moreso the further you get into fantasy and science fiction. Even aside from the factors you mention regarding national identity and the dream that You Could Do Better, the nation that gets sent forward is a charity case, and the nation that gets sent back is suddenly a world power without peer.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User

To be fair, when this does happen and the world we know of, or at least one or two 20th century people, are transposed to a place where 20th century mankind aren't the apex predators, it becomes... a survival flick. And those aren't too rare (Drifting Classroom and Cage of Eden comes to mind), just less common than Comfy Isekai. Survival horror flicks aren't my thing tho.

Last edited:

acksed

Validated User
Man, I poured a lot of effort into those little oneliner manga reviews. Not burned out yet, though. Onward!

LeumasWhite

Skeptical
Validated User
Beastars 87-89: never stop, Legosi. Poor Louis; he keeps trying to be this very serious and sober underworld boss, but his ridiculous underclassman keep pulling things like this.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Otherworld Hospitality & Meals (Isekai Otomenashi Gohan) (Manga) #8

I think our MC will not be able to drink alone ever again. The price of being able to find this world's plums and being able to make w1n3, for cheap! The fae seem to have taken a liking to her...

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Continuing my habit of delving into yesterday's manga, and after having recently enjoyed the anime, I've been reading Excel Saga. Man, Viz had a lot of fun translating this one. In particular, Excel's range of frenzied vocabulary is insane.

Quick description for the unitiated: Comedy manga, from 1996 to 2011. Two young women, Excel and Hyatt, work for a supervillain bent on world domination. But supervillainy doesn't pay wages, so they have to wreck their way through a string of part-time jobs to survive. Excel's super power is "never shutting up"; Hyatt's superpower is "dying a lot". Meanwhile, another group of characters scored what they hoped would be decent civil service jobs, but their department head has decided that they will be the core of his secret superhero team, and so occasionally has them test the equipment or go out on calls. Coincidentally, both teams live unawares in the same apartment building. So, basically, it's life with jobs that suck, cranked up to 11.

The 1999 anime took the characters and basic premise and threw them through a series of Python-esque sketches and genre parodies. A bit less social satire, a lot more meta-media satire.

I enjoyed the anime quite a bit; I think I may like some aspects of the manga better. One thing that stands out to me is that Excel and Hyatt in the manga are both a lot more… let us say cunning, rather than smarter… than they come off in the animated adaptation. They also have a more cordial relationship. I was a little surprised the first time I read them cooperating on diplomatically buttering-up their boss to save Excel from a punishment.

Come to think of it, this would be fairly good inspiration for a Paranoia campaign.

Top Bottom