I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Out of curiosity - I looked up the Japanese covers of some of Stephen King's novels, and they're pretty good - here's the cover for Four Past Midnight.

(Source)

EDIT: And I found this post from Deviantart showing some of the new internal Japanese art from recent reprints of the Dragonlance Chronicles.

Sblocked for Height
Spoiler: Show

sun_tzu

Validated User
I've been in the mood for a fighting shonen manga lately. Now, keeping in mind my favorite manga in the genre was HSDK... has there been anything in recent years with likable protagonists and good martial arts (or at least, cleverly-written fight scenes)?

durecellrabbit

Validated User
I've been in the mood for a fighting shonen manga lately. Now, keeping in mind my favorite manga in the genre was HSDK... has there been anything in recent years with likable protagonists and good martial arts (or at least, cleverly-written fight scenes)?
If you're okay with fan translations, Kengan Asura has very good fight scenes. The main protagonist is a bit boring and the main cast doesn't match up to HSDK but the story gives a lot of screen time to other competitors who are interesting.

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
I like Akatsuki Otokojuku. It is a classic story revolving around an all-boys school teaching students to be "real man". It is also insanely silly, featuring such things as a synchronized swimming martial art.

For more realistic stuff, there's All-Rounder Meguru, which is about MMA. It is a slow burn, but it's worth it.

Tough is also pretty good, though later developments in the story made me drop it, they are mostly personal hangups, it definitely has very good fights.

I'll second the Kengan Asura reccomendation, as well as adding the sequel to it. A lot of people are wary about it, but it's looking nice. I'll also say that the protagonist is not so much boring as his character development is very subtle, with a great pay off, and the businessman viewpoint character makes up for it in spades.

There's also Zero-In, one of the rare ones with female protagonists. It is a little more to the fantastic side. On that note, Cynthia the Mission is another one, which is really strange and it has less enphasis on martial arts in favor of weapons and etc, but it's the kind of thing you need to read to see if it fits your tastes.

Maybe you already know about it, but Holyland is another great one, stunningly realistic, and pretty dark at times, though ultimately things are positive.

Gamaran is a very pure action series, more based on swords and other weapons than martial arts, but the fight scenes are definitely really good.

Also, some people may reccomend Baki, but I'll have to derec it. I've tried to read it's various incarnations multiple times, but never managed to get that far into them, the last being after a video of a youtuber reccomending one of the arcs as perfect for first time watchers... which ended up being one of the worst arcs I have ever read in any manga. My thoughts about it are somewhere in this forum.

acksed

Validated User
Kumika no Mikaku 30: Here we see the lonely lovesick boy eating without his crush and not enjoying it, until someone unveils their secret weapon: office gags.
So umeboshi + alien biology = head lasers. Because... excess energy or something? Whatever, it was so left-field I laughed.
Gal Gohan 46: No wonder Miku's so persistent, this is normal for her.

We Can't Study 103: As soon as I saw the glue I dully thought, "Yes, I know where this is going." I was right.
Until the end, when Rizu admits her jealousy to herself (and us).
Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake 145: Dammit, I actually felt for Megumi.
Also... he took a 2-hour train ride to catch her match and support her, and he's realising her competence. Maybe it won't be a dramatic confession, they'll just back into it and just realise one day.

Last edited:

Icarium

Validated User

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
The Pharmacist's Monologue (Kusuriya no Hitorigoto) (Manga) #23

In which Maomao is commissioned to hold a crash course in the Karma Sutra. Comes highly recommended from Rifa and Gyokuou! Think this might be too much for the youngest one tho...

Also, Jinshi shouldn't look, those are trade secrets from the best joint in the red light district mind!

"Please ask the Emperor for his impressions."

Top Bottom