• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
For a not-Japanese one in Isekai style, I'm recommending Chrysalis by RinoZ.

It's a reincarnation/game-ish fantasy type story in the vein of 'So I'm a Spider, So What?'. Remember the fun dungeon crawling chapters of that one before Kumoko got super powerful and wrapped up in the world's plot? This is a lot like that section, following our lead ant, Anthony, and his travels through the dungeon, search for his colony, etc.. Being an ant, a lot less solitary than Spider was!

I'm 120 chapters in yet, and we get the occasional glimpse of the human side, including a cool bunch, the Dungeon Legion, who's badasses are so badass that they can only fully function in the thick mana of the deeper dungeon (Dungeon in this case being a huge deep underdark), and we get to see some events from both sides.

So if you're into that kind of 'reincarnated as an animal, evolve and gain abilities in a dungeon type setting,' story, I give it a nod.

Last edited:

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Speaking of non-Japanese works:

Release That Witch (Manhwa) #22

Roland's busy doing what no other isekai protag has done - implement conscription. Even King Soma, the Realist Hero, only did talent scouting. You have to give credit for how down to earth this guy is, and he has to - he's got no cheat and it's only thanks to witches and his engineering university background that his simple steam engine worked. Now he just needs to work his way up to musket and cannon.

(Yeah, the adaptation is 1:1 and it's done webtoon style, so the plot development feels kinda slow. Best done as a single binge every couple of chapters.)

acksed

Validated User
Komi-san 187: ...look, just ask him out. My teeth are going to rot if you become any sweeter. They even feel comfortable enough that when he laughs at her, she just gets embarrassed.

Sono no Bisque Doll wa Koi wo Suru 22: I'm not going to dignify the memes that will inevitably follow this chapter :cautious:, but how sweet is it that she actually validated his dream of making beautiful things?

Last edited:

WorldSaverInc

RPGnet Member
Validated User
One Piece 937 - It looks like Luffy is continuing to train up and get some learning experiences before the big bad boss. Zoro is going to get his third soon and perhaps learn something to power himself up. So, this could get interesting as the relunctant samurai will realize Zoro is a true swordsman.

So who has received Post-Time Skip Powerups.

Nami - With Zeus
Luffy - Current training
Zoro - New Understanding of his Ryuma sword could prompt further/better swordsmanship
Sanji - Got cool power armor
Usopp - Better aiming powers perhaps a seeing Haki

so we need Franky, Robin, Chopper, Brook, and Jinbe for new powerups.

I hope they get a spotlight story to some extent in the future. I want to see more of what they can do and how they can adapt to what they thought was power, but need more to get to the top.

durecellrabbit

Validated User
Recently I've read:

Amagi Brilliant Park: Volume 4:
This was just fine. I like slice of life but I'm not too keen on the short story style that the recent volumes use. 3/5

An Archdemon's Dilemma: How to Love Your Elf Bride: Volume 4: I'm really enjoying the series. I like the two leads and the supporting characters all have their place. There is a decent amount of plot to go along with the slow slice of life romance so the books are all interesting. 4/5

Decapitation: Kubikiri Cycle and Strangulation: Kubishime Romanticist: As per the usual Nisioisin books these are well written but I didn't like the characters and plot much. The murder mysteries didn't feel very interesting to me. I really did not like the characters much. The protagonist really is awful, the books seem self aware about this as he is described as broken but the other characters are not much better.

While I don't mind unlikeable protagonist and supporting characters I'd prefer them in one off books rather than a series. So I'm not sure if I'll continue with this series. 2/5

Rokka: Braves of the Six Flowers Vol 1 -3: I like this series a lot. The writing is good, the characters and mystery are interesting. My only problem is I'm fairly sure I've been spoiled on the traitor some time ago. Why do I remember worthless things like spoilers for a book series I only recently decided to read while I can't remember the syntax of programming languages I use. 5/5

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
I Used To Be The Strongest Wizard. Then I Took An Arrow To The Knee. Now I'm A Village Guard (Manga) #1

Perhaps you'd met this guy in a random village somewhere, an adventurer - one of many - who had no choice to retire because, well.

This is the story of the party mage, who was cursed by the demon lord's dying throes to never have a simple arrow injury heal correctly. Well, said demon lord won't be back at all, and the reward money's great - so he figures it's about time he got a break anyway. He takes the next E-rank quest to the sticks.

What ensues? Certainly nothing from that meme it's based on, more's the pity. But don't just dismiss him yet simply because he can't do legwork all day. He can probably Fus Ro Dah like the best of the Dovakiin. Good luck trying to mess with the place under his protection. :3

(I cannot believe they actually put an arrow to the knee in the bloody logo. The person who wrote this is trying to be funny, and my odd sense of humor approves. :3)

Freedom Geek

Transhuman Cyborg
Validated User
Speaking of non-Japanese works:

Release That Witch (Manhwa) #22

Roland's busy doing what no other isekai protag has done - implement conscription. Even King Soma, the Realist Hero, only did talent scouting. You have to give credit for how down to earth this guy is, and he has to - he's got no cheat and it's only thanks to witches and his engineering university background that his simple steam engine worked. Now he just needs to work his way up to musket and cannon.

(Yeah, the adaptation is 1:1 and it's done webtoon style, so the plot development feels kinda slow. Best done as a single binge every couple of chapters.)
Wait, really? I guess I'll cancel my plans to restart reading, I have a deep hatred for the concept of conscription.

Though maybe I shouldn't be surprised, I think it was my discomfort with something else he did that got me to stop reading in the first place.

Top Bottom