• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Icarium

Validated User
I kind of think of it as single-player syndrome.

There are a lot of single-player games where balance past a point doesn't matter because it's one person, so they toss in some cool Infinity+1 pieces of equipment if you think of a build or for games like DMC are just that good at the gameplay. (There's a point in one of the old D&D titles where you could get a freaking Ring of Wizardry at level 3 or some silly level, if you knew where it was.)

Issue is this sort of thing doesn't work in an MMO, as you have to balance across all classes, but most writers haven't played MMOs and don't understand the games, and ... well, it shows. :)

Shay Guy

Validated User
I suppose CrossCode gets around it with (A) having the normal dungeons be designed so that players have to solo them, splitting parties into individual instances, and (B) not actually showing the conclusion of the one proper raid we see, or allowing you to attempt it without your plot-dictated allies.

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
I kind of think of it as single-player syndrome.
Yeah, a lot of VRMMO series are written by people who rather obviously have no actual experience with an MMO. The usual signs are non-repeatable events, overpowered unique drops, lack of group content, and no sign of the social dynamics or cliche personality types you'll find in a real MMO. This usually results in a series that looks a whole lot more like Skyrim or Dark Soul with a bunch of extras running around than anything else. If you've spent some time playing an MMORPG yourself, you can spot the series written by similar veterans pretty quickly.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Indeed, this is a topic we've revisited occasionally.

Of note, Sword Art Online was done at a time when games like Ultima Online were the big thing, pre-WoW, where the advantages really were slanted much more to the high level types and lower players kinda had to put up with it.

And of course newer series are often based off older VRMMO light novels now, so we're stuck ^^

Icarium

Validated User
To be fair, there are non-repeatable events in MMOs sometimes. Though usually the event stuff can be gotten in other ways after it. Like in FFXIV, you can buy event stuff after with real money, usually a year later. Granted, real money, but it's all fun cosmetics and not, like, Sword of Infinite Power.

Bremen

RPGnet Member
Validated User
To be fair, there are non-repeatable events in MMOs sometimes. Though usually the event stuff can be gotten in other ways after it. Like in FFXIV, you can buy event stuff after with real money, usually a year later. Granted, real money, but it's all fun cosmetics and not, like, Sword of Infinite Power.
Asheron's Call was big on one time events and an evolving world. But yeah, it's rare in modern MMOs.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
One-time (or occasionally-repeated) events are super common in mobile gacha games. Given how popular they are, I'm sure plenty of these stories draw inspiration from them too, even if they're not exactly MMOs.

And really, if you have a world with a multitude of VR MMOs that are easy to create content for thanks to mysterious futuretech, there's no reason why they wouldn't have streams of events going on. Events are fun, and they keep people coming back to play them!

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
Is my memory messing with me, or do some of these MMO stories do one player events/bosses, like only one single person ever gets to interact with this thing across the entire player-base? (As opposed to merely “this festival or raid or whatever is opening once, to as many people as can be there during it”) Because that feels weird.

Icarium

Validated User
It is weird.

It's LESS weird in some games where they're obviously ran by AIs for the management, as the AIs can do things that normal developers can't like actually manage single-time events in a semi-fair (note: semi) manner. But sometimes you have normal developers and weird single-time events that are like, man, what?

I mean, if another FFXIV player got certain bits of equipment that the character in Defense got, I'd be /pissed/. ;)

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
It's not a common trend tho, and when an MC deals with a raid boss solo, it's usually because of (a) plot and (b) the player isn't in a party and the boss room door just closes behind him.

That said, we also had A Certain Middle Aged Man, who in his VRMMO experience encountered plenty of player side characters - but in that story I've never seen a boss being attacked by a group, not even by a group of AI. The undead knight in the lowest level of the pyramid is stated to be a raid boss but as it turned out, it's easily soloable if the player has a pet, and our MC just gave himself unnecessary trouble by not contracting with a pet before entering the dungeon (not that he can).

Top Bottom