I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Icarium

Validated User
Yeah. It's why Infinite Dendro doesn't annoy me.

It's obvious that (1) There's more going on than a game, and (2) with /multiple AIs managing the world/, I can see all the weird unique situations happening and actually making sense in some sort of semi-balance that no human could manage all at once.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
It's also why I like Only Sense Online. While it does do non-repeatable event rewards (the Summer Camp arc ends with the protagonist's group receiving some unique items for doing well in the event) it's explicitly pointed out that event rewards can't break game balance or they'd ruin the game, so they have huge tradeoffs (like a giant field in a pocket dimension... that you have to personally seed and upkeep if you want stuff to grow. Or a special weapon that doesn't require repair and can be enhanced to the max, but whose base stats are run-of-the-mill and can't be improved).

And much later than that, we're also shown that those rewards are also available in other ways for all the playerbase (iirc, the field is shown to be one of the winning lottery prizes in a monster town)

acksed

Validated User
We Can't Study 104: Now this is why I started reading this series. It's stupid, a tempest in a teacup, and it still works out because both sides stop and think, and then confirm what the other was thinking.
Spoiler: Show
Though I do have to thank Asumi for casually dropping the bombshell, otherwise they'd never have gotten that far. Also the level of the author's favouritism towards Fumino is notable. Any other character, this would not go as well.
Nana to Kaoru - Kokosei no SM gokko 3: Tachi is going to have blackmail material for years. :D

Orenchi ni Kita Onna Kishi to Inakagurashi Surukotoninatta Ken 20: A lonely, depressing, empty chapter as quarantine begins to become literally oppressive for Chris.

HiddenCyan

Validated User
For Itai no wa Iya Nanode in particular, I get the impression that the game devs are... kinda bad at their jobs? Like, in-universe they're not very good at the whole "game balance" thing. I definitely get the impression that the game devs threw a bunch of things in as private jokes or easter eggs without considering the effect it would have on game balance because "lololol who would actually try to eat a poisonous zombie dragon, right? lololol" and "no one would actually sit around letting themselves be attacked for an hour straight, right? wwwww" and now they're starting to panic because Maple's joke character build suddenly became game-breakingly overpowering.

Notsteve

The work of an enemy stand
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Is my memory messing with me, or do some of these MMO stories do one player events/bosses, like only one single person ever gets to interact with this thing across the entire player-base? (As opposed to merely “this festival or raid or whatever is opening once, to as many people as can be there during it”) Because that feels weird.
Yeah, the worst example I've seen so far was having the release of an entire expansion depending on whether a single party completed a single time-limited, one-time quest. The quest was shown to be basically impossible without what was essentially blatant cheating using future knowledge, too. The devs released the expansion immediately when the quest was completed, which meant that they had already finished it but were prepared to throw the entire thing away if someone didn't beat their impossible quest. (And the MC was from the future where this expansion had never been released years later, so they weren't going to try to incorporate it any other way.)

I can't imagine any game company creating an entire expansion then deciding to throw the whole thing away because six players couldn't complete a quest in time.

I forget the name of the webnovel, but it was the one with a Chinese MC playing a full-immersion MMO. He had been murdered by his ex's new fiance to keep him from interfering in the wedding, then woke up years earlier just as the game started.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
For Itai no wa Iya Nanode in particular, I get the impression that the game devs are... kinda bad at their jobs? Like, in-universe they're not very good at the whole "game balance" thing. I definitely get the impression that the game devs threw a bunch of things in as private jokes or easter eggs without considering the effect it would have on game balance because "lololol who would actually try to eat a poisonous zombie dragon, right? lololol" and "no one would actually sit around letting themselves be attacked for an hour straight, right? wwwww" and now they're starting to panic because Maple's joke character build suddenly became game-breakingly overpowering.
To be fair, the Devs are pretty good at their job otherwise the MMO would be a buggy mess. What we have here is bad game design and no playtesting - which I can forgive some of, because it's difficult to test this game's loot generator in particular.

Also, maybe not MMOs, but power creep (as they call it) in Pay To Win is more common than you think.

Law Orc

beheld Sumbitch as he fell from heaven like lightn
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I get the feeling that a bunch of them are written by people who have never spent much time actually playing an MMO, but instead are basing them on other light novels about MMOs.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Speaking of actually playing things:

The Wizard Raised Through TRPG is Still the Strongest in the Other World (Novel)

Is something I picked up recently - and our MC's cheat seems to be that he's been remade into the prestiege level TRPG character he used to play so long ago. Yeah, not one of those CRPGs or MMOs, Gio seems to be a mage class from what looks like a slightly offbrand D&D2e or 3e.

We never do learn why or how our MC is transferred, although our MC seems savvy enough to actually mention Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by name, a western work AND one that predates practically all Japanese Isekai.

As with other Isekai tales, MC is transferred to a world which... uses a vastly different magic system, that is unable to recognize at first that our MC is a mage - and they recognize his summoned basic D&D monster manual stuff as something else entirely. And, his effects just so happen to be so outlandish, everyone starts thinking he's rank S material simply because he knows how to cast a Meteor Swarm analogue. The local mage guild is miiiighy interested in him as a result...

He's... one of the nice types, and whatever friends he's made in this new world is busy trying to get him to behave more like Elminster and less like a doormat - with mixed results. :3

The author shows that he's somewhat familiar with playing D&D, as the MC is written with traits such as memorizing spells every morning and having X-spells-a-day (at one point he gets interrupted and goes "aw shat I gotta start over!"). His charsheet is... actually quite reasonable and rollable, and he gets roughed up at the beginning. There's a quip or two about how spell_name_here annoys GMs because they derail the plot. While it's still missing a couple of traits (perhaps maybe it's Pathfinder or an earlier edition?), the parallel to D&D is even more obvious than Overlord's.

Last edited:

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Handyman Saitou, In Another World (Manga)#10-11

Reminder: Saitou is smart - but still extremely squishy. It's heartwarming when his entire frickken party goes into rescue mode just for him.

Handyman Saitou, In Another World (Manga) #11.5

In a more lighthearted note, we meet a King - who gets sick of waiting for a hero to appear *and does the frickken job himnself*, much to the horror of all his subjects and said demon lord. :3

The Magi's Grandson (Manga) #30

...yep, cliched brainwashed church leader who wants the female lead. How many of these standard you-wanna-punch-this-guy-in-the-face villians are there again?

While Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I Reached MAX Level Unknowingly (Manga) #12

...No, I can't tell the difference between a good slime and a bad slime when everything is grayscale.

Anyway, it's festival time! Our heroine's literally been there since the event's inception, such is the nature of longevity, but for reasons never directly participated. This time, since she has a family and all now, she decides to do something! And thus fantasyland gets its very first taste of a maid cafe, and we get the excuse to put the cast in maid uniforms. :3

When A Female Knight Came To Live With Me In The Countryside (Manga) #20

...Ok, I think the quarantine arc is a little too long. :X

Top Bottom