I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
While Killing Slimes for 300 Years, I Reached MAX Level Unknowingly (Manga) #12

...No, I can't tell the difference between a good slime and a bad slime when everything is grayscale.

Anyway, it's festival time! Our heroine's literally been there since the event's inception, such is the nature of longevity, but for reasons never directly participated. This time, since she has a family and all now, she decides to do something! And thus fantasyland gets its very first taste of a maid cafe, and we get the excuse to put the cast in maid uniforms. :3
She couldn't tell in the novel form either ^^

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
A Witch's Printing Office (Manga) #9

...In which our heroine may have accidentally defeated the entirety of the demon lord's world by proxy of holding an event they cannot resist participating in.

(This series has been translated on and off and will be picked up by Yen Press in a bit, so the currennt subbers are going to drop it soon. )

The Hardships of Constable Hans (Manga) #41-45

In which our heroes forcefully stop an illegal mining operation outside of their shores, thusly alerting the other group of Japanese to their presence. They have #7 in custody now. War?

I Used To Be The Strongest Wizard. Then I Took An Arrow To The Knee. Now I'm A Village Guard (Manga) #2

...I frankly do not know what's wrong with being named Gel-gel and Poofy. :3

Last edited:

Kreuzritter

Validated User
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! #53.4

"You see Julian, you're not dealing with the average Saber anymore. I have risen and become a legend. the legend that you fear. I, Illyasviel Von Einzbern, have become the legendary Super Saibah!"

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Gal Gohan 47 - A Christmas episode, and no KFC in sight though there is roast chicken. How she didn’t freeze to death I have no idea. Sleepover!

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
Just finished the second volume of ARIEL. For those unfamiliar, it's a long series of novels written by Sasamoto Yuichi (Miniskirt Space Pirates, Venus Wars the movie) that spanned the late 80s and into the early 00s, and ultimately won a Seiun Award (Japan's equivalent of the Hugo) when it finished. It's a comedic pastiche of a huge range of scifi tropes, but perhaps most prominently is essentially a Super Robot Tokusatsu show in novel form. It even got a short OVA series made out of it back in the 90s.

I read the first volume years ago, and honestly wasn't that impressed by it, but for whatever reason decided to give the second book a shot anyway. It starts out with a basically completely unrelated story about one of the titular giant robot's pilots and her exhaustion with college entrance exams, her frustrations with love around Valentine's Day, and her chance encounter with a time traveler. It was amazingly poignant and definitely changed my perception of the series; I hope the rest of the books are littered with stories like this one (though come to think of it, I believe even the first volume had a sort of "everyday-life" sidestory in it).

That was followed up be a very campy story about fighting off an alien invasion fleet. There was a lot of obvious parody and over-the-top slapstick, which only really half did it for me; it's not that it's bad, it's just not really my thing, and it's probably the biggest barrier to me being able to enjoy this series more fully. For me most of the charm of tokusatsu is in the actual physical portrayals themselvest—the effects, the costumes, the hammy acting—and I think that the story tropes themselves, when converted over to writing, just don't have enough oomph to keep things interesting on their own.

All that being said, I'm still not sure I'm ready to give up on it; I'm a huge fan of the author, and I enjoyed the second book a lot more than I did the first, and I like to believe that it's not going to be 20-some more volumes of playing its inspirations straight.

CaButler

Validated User
Gal Gohan 47 - A Christmas episode, and no KFC in sight though there is roast chicken. How she didn’t freeze to death I have no idea. Sleepover!
It was the power of love that kept her warm!

At least, that's the reason I'm going with. But talk about being aggressive with a love interest, right?

Top Bottom