• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
It was the power of love that kept her warm!

At least, that's the reason I'm going with. But talk about being aggressive with a love interest, right?
Miku certainly has lost what shyness she had and now has all the subtlety of a nuke.

Kurotowa

Weird Science Nut
Validated User
Miku certainly has lost what shyness she had and now has all the subtlety of a nuke.
It's certainly a refreshing change from the usual pair of teenagers who are constantly dancing around expressing their interest. Still, we really need to get inside the guy's head at this point, and maybe even get as clear a reply from him. "That's inappropriate" isn't cutting it. He needs to go with either "I'm not interested" or "I'm very interested but we need to wait for the day after graduation."

CaButler

Validated User
She certainly stopped being subtle, but I don't think she was ever shy about her feelings for Yabe.

She just went from "openly expressing them" to "must seduce now" when romantic rivals started showing up.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Welcome to Japan, Miss Elf (Nihon e Youkoso Elf-san) (Manga) #4

The Elf seems to be taking the unceremonious transposition quite well. Now that she's enjoyed her day out into town IRL, it's time for that experiment to see if she can actually be sent back whence she came. There's a bit more about how our MC's dimensional jaunts work here.

Spoiler: Show
In this chapter, we learn what the MC can and cannot bring with him when he jaunts. We also learn that the source of the transfer magic is the MC himself, even if he has no idea why the hell he has those powers - meaning that the MC has to fall asleep hugging Elf to return her to her world. Awkward... but least of their concerns. They're going to wake up next to the raid boss that TPK'd them last night if it works, y'know...

acksed

Validated User
Kumika no Mikaku 33: Hey, something Kumika doesn't like immediately! And the whole thing about eating so her family can watch makes me think that they would love cooking shows. She's also spent a bit more on a laptop instead of the voice-only ansible she no doubt brought from home.

Female Knight That Came To Live With Me 21: Finally, someone grows a brain and lets Chris talk to Saeki. Now skip to the part where they let her out, because this is beginning to drag. :-/

NathanS

Validated User
Beastars 122: This is both a touching and, disturbing relationship.
Beastars 123: Of course that's what canines do to let out their instincts.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Female Knight That Came To Live With Me 21: Finally, someone grows a brain and lets Chris talk to Saeki. Now skip to the part where they let her out, because this is beginning to drag. :-/
To be fair, this IS probably what would happen in real life if we found an otherworlder in our midst. :X

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Destroy All Humankind. They Can't Be Regenerated. (Manga) #5

Hajime is actually playing better now that he's got a splash of Blue! I don't think he's playing control tho, his blue seems to be there as a deck thinner.
Meanwhile, Sawatari may actually be losing her first match in this manga to a newcomer playing what could be a Megazord deck!

acksed

Validated User
We Can't Study 106: This was a good chapter. Heartwarming reunions, truth being dropped left and right and that two-page spread.
Can I say I'm quite touched that every single one of the girls came to help him out? And amused that every single one thought of their specific instance of compromising position?

acksed

Validated User
Moving to something else: yesterday I had a no-computer day, and finally finished the light novels I'd bought ages ago.

Reborn As A Vending Machine, I Now Wander The Dungeon (LN) vol. 1-3: Not only are these plain good fun, having Boxxo be more interested in being a really useful engine who he is and what he brings to the party creates interesting story opportunities. Lammis and Hulemy are both cute and competent - their perception and insight aren't just used for interpreting his canned responses, and are pretty exceptional in themselves - and the rest of the characters that drop in enrich the slice-of-life portions and give the dungeon-diving real stakes.
I'm intrigued by the hints of the girl's backstories (how did Hulemy, a no-name orphan, get into magic university for long enought to acquire infamy? Who is Lammis' master?), and that of the awkward Cloud expy who still plays the angsty, troubled teen straight. World-building's interesting too, given the dungeon levels take three weeks to walk (approx. 1600 miles wide), and there are more dungeons and multiple levels in each. I also wanted to have a browser open just so I could see the stranger vending machines for myself. ...and look what I found.:) Hah, the robot-looking one is probably the end-point of the uber-overpriced "Transform".

I do wonder how long they'll drag out the addition of Telepathy; him choosing the Rank Up instead of it was a tad contrived. It's explained later as fear of saying the wrong thing, but still.
My Youth Romantic Comedy is Wrong, As I Expected (LN) vol. 3: After the gutpunch of Hachi's stoopid at the end of vol. 2, I felt like smuggling Yui a copy of the first two books with a note saying, "HIKKI ALWAYS LIES, EVEN TO HIMSELF" but things slowly clot back together. More notable is the first speaking appearance of Hachi's mother, and direct evidence of favouritism of Komachi. It's bad, but not as extreme as I thought; it's been elevated to nigh-on neglect in fandom. Hachi gives as good as he gets (*slams door* May this thunder reach you!), though acting & sounding like an average surly Western teenager may go a long way towards reinforcing their attitude towards him.

Yukino is the star in this volume, though.
Her icy shell finally cracks when Komachi 'abandons' her and Hachi on a trip to buy a present for Yui, and she turns out to be a fan of a cartoon character, going full dandere. Then, when Hachi turns out to be correct in his distrust for once, she gives him an unambiguous expression of gratitude for the date. Behind his back, but still - it seems viable. Then the self-sacrificing little idiot pushes Yui and Hachi back together by reminding them they can just make a new start, because she feels responsible for his traffic accident. Aaaagh.
That aside, the best part of all is the transcript of the first Drama CD.
It's sad, because it comes out that none of them know what to do at a birthday party, not even Yui, since she was always celebrating someone else's, and their separate bad memories keep bringing down the whole party. But it's funny and heartwarming because they're all there together, finding acceptance - if not friendliness - for the first time. Then they discover Hiratsuka-sensei is singing alone in the booth next to them, and she bears the brunt of their pity. :D

I actually laughed out loud at the karaoke: Zaimokuza selects the GaoGaiGar theme, which his voice actor in the anime and drama, Nobuyuki Hiyama, sang as Guy. It'd work better in the CD, but still funny.

MYRCIWAIE (LN) vol. 4: The good times continue, amazingly enough. The Service Club is actually approximating a circle of friends now with Hiratsuka-sensei as glue. It also contains some food for thought for the formerly one-dimensional popular kids in the class.
Being made (somewhat) aware of their blind spots as they come up against Rumi's situation, and Yukino and Hachi educating them in out-group dynamics - really satisfying. As is Rumi being a big damn hero and rescuing the mean girls from the 'delinquents'.

The affectionate moment between Yui and Hachi at the end, and Hayama admitting he wouldn't be friends with Hachi, is just gravy.

Then the final few pages make me worry for Yukino, both with her not contacting anyone for the rest of the summer and Hachi's recognition of the car that hit him.

Last edited:
Top Bottom