• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
While I'm thinking about it,, what other vehemently anti-slavery isekai are out there?
I've been reading the Reincarnated as a Sword manga, which also tends to take a 'no quarter given' stance with slavers. Anything else out there?

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
I don't know any, but every time someone brings up slavery in novels, I remember the synopsis of a novel where the protagonist is reincarnated as a slave, and then he fights to obtain his own place in society! As a... slaver.

Which... I just don't know.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Since my library finally picked it up, I read the first three volumes of Hunter × Hunter!

This... is extremely shonen manga. I mean that specifically in the sense that pretty much the entire plot thus far has focused on filtering, more than instruction or guidance. It's possible that there are schools out there that people go to before they take this exam, that are specifically about helping as many people become qualified, capable Hunters as possible, but we've heard nothing about them. Just the exam, which is entirely about rejecting as many Inferior People as possible, under the theory that you can only know if someone's worthy if they pass a gauntlet with as low a passing rate as humanly possible while being theoretically nonzero. (Even with Menchi's test, it was noted that it's far from unheard of for an entire applicant field to fail -- the only question was whether she failed them justifiably.)

And they don't even seem to care if hundreds of people die in a single year's exam. It's just proof of just how awesome Hunters who passed are. Winners win, losers lose, too bad so sad, c'est la guerre (or c'est la however-you-translate-battle-manga). What kind of society accepts that kind of death count for the qualifying process for their most prestigious career? Friendship, hard work, victory, sure... but some things combine really awkwardly with the lens of battles and contests. Yeah, Naruto (which debuted a year later) had Kakashi supposedly flunking loads of students, but the Academy genuinely made it look like Konoha wanted as many people as possible to get good at ninja skills before testing them.

Also, I'm kinda imagining an examiner whose phase goes like this:

"Uh, okay, look. A Hunter's gotta be strong and fast and clever as hell, keen senses and all that other jazz, but, y'know, I've known a bunch of Hunters who had all that -- best there was, by any measure of merit you can think of -- and died to sheer dumb luck. So, that's what I'm testing you on this time: your luck. Y'see this screen here? I've got it rigged up so that when I press this switch, it randomly shows either PASS or FAIL. Fifty-fifty chance, no tricks. You interfere, you're disqualified. All right, now everyone line up, single file..."

(The first 48 pages of volume 2 have a printing error, with the page content off at an angle -- I'm guessing it happened when the pages were cut. Do any other copies have that?)

acksed

Validated User
We Can't Study 116: It's Rin's turn to work out her issues, and maybe it's all the OreGairu I've been devouring, but her self-hatred is somewhat familiar.
Spoiler: Show
Thankfully while this manga does dance around resolutions, people eventually sit down and talk about what's bothering them in a couple of chapters.

It's almost certain she's not going to end up with Nariyuki, though. :-(

junglefowl26

Validated User
Since my library finally picked it up, I read the first three volumes of Hunter × Hunter!

This... is extremely shonen manga. I mean that specifically in the sense that pretty much the entire plot thus far has focused on filtering, more than instruction or guidance. It's possible that there are schools out there that people go to before they take this exam, that are specifically about helping as many people become qualified, capable Hunters as possible, but we've heard nothing about them. Just the exam, which is entirely about rejecting as many Inferior People as possible, under the theory that you can only know if someone's worthy if they pass a gauntlet with as low a passing rate as humanly possible while being theoretically nonzero. (Even with Menchi's test, it was noted that it's far from unheard of for an entire applicant field to fail -- the only question was whether she failed them justifiably.)

And they don't even seem to care if hundreds of people die in a single year's exam. It's just proof of just how awesome Hunters who passed are. Winners win, losers lose, too bad so sad, c'est la guerre (or c'est la however-you-translate-battle-manga). What kind of society accepts that kind of death count for the qualifying process for their most prestigious career? Friendship, hard work, victory, sure... but some things combine really awkwardly with the lens of battles and contests. Yeah, Naruto (which debuted a year later) had Kakashi supposedly flunking loads of students, but the Academy genuinely made it look like Konoha wanted as many people as possible to get good at ninja skills before testing them.

Also, I'm kinda imagining an examiner whose phase goes like this:

"Uh, okay, look. A Hunter's gotta be strong and fast and clever as hell, keen senses and all that other jazz, but, y'know, I've known a bunch of Hunters who had all that -- best there was, by any measure of merit you can think of -- and died to sheer dumb luck. So, that's what I'm testing you on this time: your luck. Y'see this screen here? I've got it rigged up so that when I press this switch, it randomly shows either PASS or FAIL. Fifty-fifty chance, no tricks. You interfere, you're disqualified. All right, now everyone line up, single file..."

(The first 48 pages of volume 2 have a printing error, with the page content off at an angle -- I'm guessing it happened when the pages were cut. Do any other copies have that?)
Without spoiling too much, I will say as the comic goes on and you see more of the world...it is clear that the society of hunter x hunter is really messed up and places little to no value on human life in general whatsoever.

I have even heard some pretty interesting takes that the series is kind of a deconstruction of Shonen, showing just how messed up a lot of shonen tropes and values (especially the idea of friendship uber alles) can be.

Shay Guy

Validated User
I have even heard some pretty interesting takes that the series is kind of a deconstruction of Shonen, showing just how messed up a lot of shonen tropes and values (especially the idea of friendship uber alles) can be.
I wonder how much the field of shonen manga has changed since 1998, and whether those changes have affected what Togashi sees fit to comment on.

I mean, the chapters I read were written before the debut of Naruto, Bleach, Death Note, Gintama, and every manga currently in Jump other than One Piece (and of course Hunter × Hunter itself). But this was after Dragon Ball, Saint Seiya, four and a half arcs of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, Bastard!!. Something called Rokudenashi Blues that I'd never heard of until I saw its Wikipedia page last night but apparently ran as long as Dragon Ball. Togashi's own Yu Yu Hakusho, naturally. Hell Teacher Nube, Rurouni Kenshin, Hoshin Engi, and Yu-Gi-Oh, all of which were running in Jump when Hunter × Hunter debuted. Plus there'd been a couple volumes' worth of One Piece, which I suspect came too late to have much influence on Togashi's initial concept.

Plus of course there's sports manga -- your Captain Tsubasas and Slam Dunks. So... with all that established, what does "a standard Shonen Jump battle manga" mean in 1998? How much has it been codified? What's seen as conventional and what's seen as unusual? And is all that any different now, 20 years later?

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
Just watched about half of Rascal does not Dream of Bunny Girl-Senpai, and man am I still a total sucker for this whole “supernatural things connected to real teenaged issues” genre :)

Shay Guy

Validated User
...One Piece is older than Hunter x Hunter? For some reason my brain refuses to process this.
Oldest manga still in Jump after Kochikame finally called it quits. And those two are not only the only remaining holdouts from the '90s, but the only ones from before the 2010s. Third-oldest is Haikyu, at age 7. Fifth-oldest is My Hero Academia, which is coming up on its fifth birthday.

dshaffer

Pervy Catgirl Fancier
Validated User
...One Piece is older than Hunter x Hunter? For some reason my brain refuses to process this.
1997 to present compares to 1998 to present. And thats without the hiatuses that afflicted Hunter x Hunter too.

Part of my brain is still in awe we're at Volume 92, and nearing 900 anime eps for One Piece.

Top Bottom