• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Icarium

Validated User
There really is. I can think of it off the top of my head in like four or five LN, and probably more if I think. It seems to be a case of 'I hate X, but it's not my place to act as god, I'm just a person' which ... I can get behind to a DEGREE, but I'm American, I grew up on With Great Power Must Come Great Responsibility. :)

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Huh....makes me wonder if that might be a reaction to Japan's imperial era which was very much sold to the Japanese populace as a noble attempt to help others, similar to how the Prime Directive in Star Trek is a reaction to American and European imperialism for the same reason.
I think it's probably an older thing, a lot of period stuff uses it. Though how strong it is no doubt varies era to era.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
Anime News Network is reporting that Ryo Mizuno's next Lodoss novel, set 100 years after Spark's adventures, will ship August 1st. The cover features Deedlit, which is not surprising both as she's one of the most popular characters in the series, and also a High Elf. There's also another young man on the cover, and I'm noticing that the tips of his ears are concealed by his hair. The half-elf son of Parn and Deedlit? (Fingers crossed).

The cover is also out (sblocked for size)

Spoiler: Show

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Gal Gohan 52 - valentine chocolates chapter. Mikus friends tag along as she gets making chocolates with Yabecchi. Much fantasising and sexual bluntness ensues.

s/LaSH

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So. RaW Hero. I stumble across this new series. What's this one like? I ask myself. Can't hurt to find out!

Imagine that Prison School got a job driving a bus, took it up to 88mph, and crashed head-on into Samurai Flamenco... then things got weird.

Can I describe it any better than that? Turns out it's by the Prison School mangaka, so I should have expected a measure of inappropriate and unusual bodily fluids. I'm still in awe of how far it exceeded my expectations, however. The elephant-themed supervillain? Nobody deserves what happened to his trunk. I just... this is terrible and I can't look away. That might sound like Prison School, but I assure you, you are not prepared.

I will be very disappointed if anybody else reads this, you hear me?

On an entirely different note, I'm enjoying Survive as the Hero's Wife, which is in webtoon format. Stop me if you've heard this one before: reincarnated as the villainess who you know meets a grisly end. There are hints of Bakarina to this one, but so far it's turning into its own thing, with a more mature view of the world. Turns out people will talk, even if the Second Prince doesn't actually have any interest in our heroine (she's married to the First Prince, who is away on campaign). And the original heroine is really, really not what she was expecting. If the previous title was enough to make you recoil in terror, recoil over to this one and relax a little with some good old courtly intrigue and accidental romance.

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
Been catching up on manga...

Bright and Cheery Amnesia remains amazingly energetic - the main point of conflict in the story is "ever since she got amnesia, Arisa's brain overloads with glee and shorts out whenever she tries to do anything sexual with her girlfriend!", so it's fairly unusual as far as romances go. It gets a hell of a lot of mileage out of that one joke alone, but I'm glad to see that there has been substantial romantic development too, just all jumbled up and out of order. It's real high on my list of manga I'd love to see an adaptation of - the sheer energy would translate well to animated form - but I'm not sure if something this flagrantly gay with adult characters has much of a chance.

A Room for Two was already at the top of my list of wanted adaptations, and it's only gotten more interesting as the characters have gotten deeper into their college years. There's more grappling with relationships and life from an adult perspective (they've grown up so much!) than I expected from a story that was initially Cute Highschool Girls Doing Lazy and Gay Things - not that it's gotten any less laid-back over the years. (Recently, when asked about her relationship, one of the main characters described it with "I don't care if we're officially dating or not, but it would be nice to get married.") The characters around them are a bit more ordinary, but everything's still presented in a casual, super-low-drama kind of way.

The one thing I wonder about how it'd work in adaptation is the pacing: for all that it's laid-back, it's actually quite fast in time progression. It's been running for five years, and in that time, five years have passed in universe. It just shows small pieces of their lives as time goes by. ("Wait, did we have a cultural festival last year?" "We slept through it.") Could an adaptation maintain that calmness while skipping forward so rapidly? Well, the manga manages it. (The other problem is that an anime would be extremely unlikely to get further than their high school years... which would still be great, but not as great as if it went further.)

Luminous=Blue is a new series that's caught my attention. A girl who sees the world through the lens of her camera transfers to a new school, intending to join the photography club (*pokes yalborap yalborap *), but for some reason the club is in shambles and she tumbles facefirst into a mess of love and drama and broken hearts. I don't know where it's going, but there's a vaguely eerie feel to it that has me intrigued. The art is real pretty.

Useless Princesses is a new entry in the gyaru x otaku subgenre, pretty fun, less drama than I expected at first - or maybe just not the type I was expecting? Like, the gyaru in question starts out snobby and hostile but flips to friendly pretty quickly, but the characters still have a lot of mental turmoil going on beneath the surface. It's a moderately slow burn; the main characters are hanging out a lot and there's definite tension between them but they haven't realized they're in love yet.

Shimeji Simulation is the new manga from the Girls' Last Tour author. It's very surreal. Like, Girls' Last Tour certainly had moments of surreality, but this takes that aspect and amplifies it tremendously. It's still eerie and forlorn, but not as forlorn; the world is strange but not dead. I barely know what's going on, but it's interesting?

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Sister of the Woods with a Thousand Young #25

In this chapter, baking cookies with Shub Niggy and the Tindalos Dog.
That concept sounds familiar...

*Checks*

Ah yes, the official translation calls it The Elder Sister-Like One

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
That concept sounds familiar...

*Checks*

Ah yes, the official translation calls it The Elder Sister-Like One
Yeah, when I first introduced this series all those threads ago, the official localizers haven't picked it up yet. The original cover had "Sister of the Woods with a Thousand Young" in English underneath its original name "Ane Naru Mono" - the fanslators ran with that as the title, which I've been using ever since. :3

Top Bottom