• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Shay Guy

Validated User
Kine-san no 1-ri de Cinema 14: On the topic of introducing kids to stuff you love that may be a liiiittle old for them.

(No, that is not a good movie for a five-year-old.)

(Also, the best part was "And haven't I turned into a wonderful adult!?" IN FAVOR: 1 OPPOSED: 4)

Icarium

Validated User
For those who might have been interested, J-Novel Club licensed Altina the Sword Princess.

Dual protagonists. One is a really damn badass young princess, Altina, who is basically a pint-sized powerhouse of superhuman proportions. Other is a geeky male strategist who sucks at anything physical. Together, they fight crime (er, deal with politics in a cutthroat nation. ;>)

I'm really pleased at this.

acksed

Validated User
Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess (manga) 1-2: Blah blah otome game, blah blah reincarnated as a villainess... wait, there's no reincarnation? At all? Well.

So this girl has pushed her friend into playing this super-awesome otome game. Multiple paths for each of the characters, multiple endings (including a reverse harem that they realise would have some serious political consequences after the game was over) and so on.

The prince is in the garden having a Moment with what would be the heroine, when the villainess - his fiancée - comes stalking up, demanding to know what's going on, when all of a sudden the prince hears two voices excitedly commentating on what his fiancée was doing. It's the Voice of God, the ability that has recurred in his family once in a while down the generations! Then they lay bare her whole tsundere personality... ah, but I'm spoiling.

This is a new twist on the whole use of game knowledge to change history (well, new in otome manga). I am so in. :)

Shay Guy

Validated User
Endo and Kobayashi's Live Commentary on the Villainess (manga) 1-2: Blah blah otome game, blah blah reincarnated as a villainess... wait, there's no reincarnation? At all? Well.

So this girl has pushed her friend into playing this super-awesome otome game. Multiple paths for each of the characters, multiple endings (including a reverse harem that they realise would have some serious political consequences after the game was over) and so on.

The prince is in the garden having a Moment with what would be the heroine, when the villainess - his fiancée - comes stalking up, demanding to know what's going on, when all of a sudden the prince hears two voices excitedly commentating on what his fiancée was doing. It's the Voice of God, the ability that has recurred in his family once in a while down the generations! Then they lay bare her whole tsundere personality... ah, but I'm spoiling.

This is a new twist on the whole use of game knowledge to change history (well, new in otome manga). I am so in. :)
Once again I'm left wishing I knew more about otome games and their history, because I do not have a clue where this ISO Standard Otome Game Template comes from.

I mean, it's so codified that it has to be inspired by real examples, right? But I don't think I can name a single one that fits the template. Some Googling suggests that Angelique is considered the first otome game, and that has the "fantasy world" part down, but it also looks to be very different from the template in other ways. (A competition to become queen of the cosmos? With the "canonical" ending having the rival character becoming your aide?) Maybe the template draws more from other Ruby Party games?

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
I mean, it's so codified that it has to be inspired by real examples, right?
At this point I'm convinced that a sizeable portion of "parody" anime/manga/light novels/fanfic are created with zero first-hand knowledge of the thing they're parodying, and operate entirely on a combination of hearsay, unfounded genre preconceptions, and extrapolation from other parodies.

acksed

Validated User
At this point I'm convinced that a sizeable portion of "parody" anime/manga/light novels/fanfic are created with zero first-hand knowledge of the thing they're parodying, and operate entirely on a combination of hearsay, unfounded genre preconceptions, and extrapolation from other parodies.
The second-hand Ranma 1/2 fic without knowledge of canon that sprung from primary fic comes to mind.

junglefowl26

Validated User
I wonder if it is an outright dead unicorn trope, with a vague memory of many different game plotlines mashed together into one ur-otome game. Similar to how a lot of jrpg fantasy sterotypes also seem to come from mashing a large number of concepts from different jrpgs together.

Naeddyr

two
Validated User
Yeah, I totally think it's that. Layers and layers of parody, just like 80% of all the JRPG isekai tropes that don't actually exist in normal video games. Stories feeding stories.

Top Bottom