• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
The Inn Where You Can Save And Load (Save & Load no Dekiru Yadoya-san) (Manga) #1-2

Experienced adventurers tell tales of an inn in a backwater village called the Silver Fox Pavillion. They say you'll never die as long as you stayed in this particular inn.

There's plenty of truth in this tale, as it's run by an unassuming young man, who if you called him a former adventurer, it will be understating things a bit. He happens to possess the power of the save point. That's how he even got so good in the first place: if he died, he simply reloaded and tried again, with all of his experience intact.

Well, now that he's out of the business, this power is his humble establishment's value-added service. Well, except lost equipment insurance. Don't believe him? First time's free and a demonstration will be provided, if you know what I mean.

No, the main character isn't this innkeeper. It's a random swordswoman looking to test the veracity of that rumor, and finding out quite a lot more than what she bargained for. Hopefully,. her SAN lasts longer than the time it takes for her to actually get to our man's level. :3

E.K.K.R

Validated User
UQ Holder! 162

The battle between immortals continues and we learn that for a man "capable of cutting down the very gods" Juuzou is an 800-year-old immature brat and that Jinbei's special ability is even more broken than we knew.

I like it how it was introduced as capable of switching the location of two objects via teleportation. Then we learned that he can do it to several objects simultaneously and doesn't need to see the destination, and after that came the reveal that he can transport parts of objects, like switching your head with that rock over there.

Calliope

Super Moderator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Huh, it turns out that a (borderline irredeemable and extremely trashy) manga I was reading was canceled because of the sudden death of the author.

That's, uh, kinda shitty.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
Huh, it turns out that a (borderline irredeemable and extremely trashy) manga I was reading was canceled because of the sudden death of the author.

That's, uh, kinda shitty.
I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often, though my knowledge of mangaka's working conditions is likely outdated.

Shay Guy

Validated User
I wonder if it is an outright dead unicorn trope, with a vague memory of many different game plotlines mashed together into one ur-otome game. Similar to how a lot of jrpg fantasy sterotypes also seem to come from mashing a large number of concepts from different jrpgs together.
Yeah, I totally think it's that. Layers and layers of parody, just like 80% of all the JRPG isekai tropes that don't actually exist in normal video games. Stories feeding stories.
I'm not willing to go that far. My knowledge of the genre is severely limited; I've never actually played an otome game myself, and only a few even get English translations. If there are real games that formed the template, it'd be very easy for me to have never heard of them, even popular games.

What I really want is to find an otoge expert to consult about all this, but I don't know who to ask for suggestions. :(

Cannonball

So bouncy!
Validated User
The battle between immortals continues and we learn that for a man "capable of cutting down the very gods" Juuzou is an 800-year-old immature brat and that Jinbei's special ability is even more broken than we knew.
Jinbei's form of immortality barely even counts as immortality in the context of everything else we see in teh series! The man had to be some kind of powerhouse to even be allowed at the table - and he does not disappoint.

NathanS

Validated User
Aren't most of the foundation of JRPG isekai just straight up the first Dragon Quest? Unless you're thinking of something beyond the "evil demon lord who needs a chosen hero to stop them?"

E.K.K.R

Validated User
Jinbei's form of immortality barely even counts as immortality in the context of everything else we see in teh series! The man had to be some kind of powerhouse to even be allowed at the table - and he does not disappoint.
Well, being accepted as Number is about more than raw power and ass-kicking capability as Kirie and Ikkuu demonstrate. But you are right that Jinbei really lucked out getting Switcheroo, since it allows him to instantly recover severed body-parts and reattach them, overcoming one of his weaknesses.

Another thing about Jinbei is that he didn't survive just by being a bad-ass but also by misinformation and outright lying to make people underestimate him. When he first meets Touta and Kuroumaru he flat-out lies about the extent of his immortality and claims that decapitation kills him. When he later explains Switcheroo to Touta he leaves out crucial details. Heck, even Vassago, an older member of UQ Holder, has no idea how Switcheroo works and thinks Jinbei only acquired it sometime around WWII. He is flat-out wrong, since Jinbei was masterfully using Switcheroo at least as far back as Evangeline's war against the Martian invaders and Ba'al centuries ago. And this tactic works since when Cutlass fights him, all of her information about him is either wrong or incomplete.

Top Bottom