• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Kreuzritter

Validated User
And because of the new anime, I've proceeded to binge all of the Fire Force manga.

for those just following the show, you are in for a RIDE

acksed

Validated User
This "Summon Kitchen" Skill is Amazing! 1-5: This is generic isekai trash, but it's shoujo isekai trash with passable art, and I am a sucker for the 'spare' adult office lady, who got caught up in a schoolgirl's summoning, winning over a powerful knight with her cooking.

Dungeon Meshi 56: Marcille is a shipper. :D I don't know how long she's been keeping that curiosity hidden, but it's great that we finally have more info of Chilchak's family. (Also, her new hairstyle is cute.)

NathanS

Validated User
Dungeon Meshi 56: I know more then a few parties Chilchak would HATE. "Stop with the romance let's just do the damn job!" Figures that in such a classic dungeon crawl at least one person would have an old school attitude to inter-party drama.

acksed

Validated User
Isekai de Shippai Shinai 100 no Houhou 1: Low fantasy already elevates it above other isekai, and travelling the world seeking knowledge while in disguise and being genre-savvy is my kind of story. Okay, I'm in. Edit: I see it's shoujo as well.

Kelton

Son of Excluded middle
Validated User
While I was looking at older manga that caught my interest at some point, I binged World Trigger.
I quite like it. It is battle shonen with all it entails (fighting, special abilities, fighting, protagonist wanting to reach top for reasons, fighting, cynical adults that don't give him a time of the day, fighting, running commentary on tactics and powers on display. It is surprisingly light on fanservice, though).

But the seting and decor is scifi, and I like that. Also, from certain point on, most fights are team affairs or 3v3v3 skirmishes, and team tactics are very much the focus. Plus they go light on special powers (sometime, at least), and more on tricks with "standard" set of weapons.

Also2, they have kinda virtual fights, where characters are losing limbs and getting impaled/shot/severed left and right, and their real selves are no worse for the wear. This strangely gives some impact to things happening on screen, because everyone can (and does) lose from time to time. Plus stuff happens.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just finished two manga, one recent and one older:

First off, Forbidden Scrollery, the official Touhou manga which actually got official English release; I finally got the last couple of volumes. I really should have expected it to end that way, so I applaud some good storytelling, to deliver the expected by an unexpected path.

Spoiler: Show
Touhou stories always end in a drinking party, the same way that Redwall stories always end in a feast, and Muppet TV specials always end in a song. It's just the way these things go.

Welcome to adulthood, Kosuzu. Now learn to watch your back a little better.

Second off, Aqua / Aria, the one about lady gondoliers on Mars. (Or, as the locals prefer to call it now, Aqua.) The entire closing arc was very nicely done, wrapping up everything without feeling rushed. And lovely scenery, all the way to the end.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
First off, Forbidden Scrollery, the official Touhou manga which actually got official English release; I finally got the last couple of volumes. I really should have expected it to end that way, so I applaud some good storytelling, to deliver the expected by an unexpected path.

Touhou stories always end in a drinking party, the same way that Redwall stories always end in a feast, and Muppet TV specials always end in a song. It's just the way these things go.

Welcome to adulthood, Kosuzu. Now learn to watch your back a little better.
Eh, they shoulda made Kosuzu part of the in-crowd earlier. Ironically it would be the best way to keep her safe, but nooooo. Well, Kosuzu should at least take some pointers from Rinnosuke on how to live an everyday life of a shopkeeper when the bigwigs who can easily throw WMDs around are your regular customers.

Welcome to Japan, Miss Elf (Manga) #7

For a change, we go exploring in fantasyland, where we learn of the game-like system of this world, because our MC has promised to help his elven companion power level. :3
You have to forgive our MC for saccing skill slots for non-combat stuff. He spends most of his waking hours in a desk job after all, and does indeed just wanna have fun.

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Eh, they shoulda made Kosuzu part of the in-crowd earlier. Ironically it would be the best way to keep her safe, but nooooo.
Yeah, that was basically the moral of the story: stop treating her with kid gloves, but tell her the real deal and let her make and learn from her decisions. The "lies to children" version of Gensokyo politics isn't helpful when someone is already hip-deep in the magic.

Yukari comes off very like the literary version of Glinda the Good Witch of the South, kind of the "den mother" of the madhouse. Though Yukari teases and bullies a lot more than Glinda. (Yukari's less a big sister, more a middle sister.)

On a less epic-plot-related note, I quite enjoyed the absurdity of youkai trying to tell ghost stories. Yuyuko is sitting right there.

CynoT

Nuclear Energy Advocate
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And Youmu is completely terrified.
Us humans get scared by slasher movies, despite the supposed fact that the slasher is also a human.
To Youmu, being half human half ghost, a ghost story is both a ghost story and a slasher story, so she got double hit. No wonder she's terrified.

Or so the headcannon says.

Top Bottom