• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

Shadowjack

Cartoon Poet
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Us humans get scared by slasher movies, despite the supposed fact that the slasher is also a human.
To Youmu, being half human half ghost, a ghost story is both a ghost story and a slasher story, so she got double hit. No wonder she's terrified.

Or so the headcannon says.
She's also a mad slasher, so it's triple.

PenguinZero

Wark!
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I picked up a random manga volume at my local comic shop yesterday, because I was intrigued by the concept and thought the art looked pretty impressive from a quick flip-through. I am so glad I did. Magus of the Library turns out to be exactly what my heart was desiring -- a testament to the power of books and writing, how they shape the human heart and are shaped by it in turn, how a love of books can bring people and the world together... and also a story about awesome librarians with magic powers traveling a vaguely-Arabian Nights-inspired world and preventing disaster by restoring books.

Kodansha's got the first chapter up for free, but that doesn't even get into some of the greatest moments, like Theo getting spellbound by a lecture on the history of writing, or the librarian team swooping into action when a damaged grimoire accidentally summons a firebird, and having to save the library from burning down by carefully repairing the tome in question. Theo, his friend the library caretaker's daughter, and the four traveling librarians are all great characters, and even the antagonist responsible for the grimoire disaster turns out to have understandable, if wrong-headed, motivations, and becomes a much better person (after a lecture from the librarians).

I can hardly wait for the next volume... Which, of course, is part of the joy of books, now, isn't it?

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I picked up a random manga volume at my local comic shop yesterday, because I was intrigued by the concept and thought the art looked pretty impressive from a quick flip-through. I am so glad I did. Magus of the Library turns out to be exactly what my heart was desiring -- a testament to the power of books and writing, how they shape the human heart and are shaped by it in turn, how a love of books can bring people and the world together... and also a story about awesome librarians with magic powers traveling a vaguely-Arabian Nights-inspired world and preventing disaster by restoring books.

Kodansha's got the first chapter up for free, but that doesn't even get into some of the greatest moments, like Theo getting spellbound by a lecture on the history of writing, or the librarian team swooping into action when a damaged grimoire accidentally summons a firebird, and having to save the library from burning down by carefully repairing the tome in question. Theo, his friend the library caretaker's daughter, and the four traveling librarians are all great characters, and even the antagonist responsible for the grimoire disaster turns out to have understandable, if wrong-headed, motivations, and becomes a much better person (after a lecture from the librarians).

I can hardly wait for the next volume... Which, of course, is part of the joy of books, now, isn't it?
I similarly picked it up at the book store! Good stuff.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Oh hey, the county library came through with the ebook of Hunter × Hunter volume 7! Assorted thoughts:

Spoiler: Show
In our first popularity poll, Kurapika (13.5K) and Killua (13.7K) are nearly tied for first, with Gon (3.9K) a distant third. That's interesting.

Somehow, aura shows up on video, but in a form that you need to use your own aura to see, just as you would in person. I have no idea how that makes sense.

Nen is as much an art form as manga is -- it's crucial to learn the fundamentals, the universals, but they'll only take you so far. To really excel, you need to find the approach best suited to you, and be prepared to run into a lot of dead ends finding out what that is. Not a bad way of approaching it, and a good bridge between the Hamon-like aspects and the Stand-like aspects.

Zushi is dismayed by his lack of Protagonist Talent. (As I understand it, real talent has as much to do with comfort level as anything, because that makes it easier to immerse yourself in the field for long periods and stay focused -- is that off-base?)

"It doesn't bother me too much to lose on purpose..." Gon, you liar.

Sadaso goes out with an anticlimax, with Killua doing what he does best. Hmm.

Good tactics in the mid-volume fights. Gon's improved since Hanzo was smacking him around.

Conjurer, transmuter, enhancer... white works well with green and blue but less so with red and black... this could get complicated.

Oh hey, chakra induction paper! Though I guess this came first. Naruto's still in its first volume or two.

It didn't occur to me until now, but Wing's training goes what I noticed about the official exam -- it's the first part of the process that's involved actual instruction, despite the fact that Nen mastery is called "the other Hunter exam". It's just that first, they run people through a filtering process that kills at least an order of magnitude more people than pass. (EDIT: And also they apparently don't bother to send graduates to teachers, or vice versa? Gon and Killua just randomly stumbled onto Wing.)

And so the Heavens Arena arc ends with a climactic rematch... which Gon loses. Though at least he managed to force Hisoka to take the badge back! And, yeah, he's gotten a little better about accepting losses.

Last edited:

acksed

Validated User
Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 27: It's a day with a Y in it and that means it's time for Jinshi to hatch a scheme with the unwilling assistance of Maomao. Curiously, we're not told what his scheme is, but thanks to her background she has experience in dressing-down and in makeup, resulting in Sherlock Holmes levels of disguise skills to use on him.
The best of it is when they apply lipstick and they all agree not to do this again outside of the inner circle, for fear of its destructive power.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Kusuriya no Hitorigoto 27: It's a day with a Y in it and that means it's time for Jinshi to hatch a scheme with the unwilling assistance of Maomao. Curiously, we're not told what his scheme is, but thanks to her background she has experience in dressing-down and in makeup, resulting in Sherlock Holmes levels of disguise skills to use on him.
Unwilling...? Well, yeah, but Maomao seemed to be enjoying herself at points. :3

This was a prime opportunity to punk Jinshi. It backfired because of Jinshi's 18(00) CHA, but still.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I picked up the first volume of Reincarnated as a Sword.

At first I was hesitant, the early bits were just him killing monsters on his own, but as soon as Fran picks him up, things really get good! I like this one a lot, Teacher and Fran are great together.

I also appreciate the sword's view on slavers (namely, stabbing. And more acceptable to kill than goblins, who're a form of demon in this world).

Icarium

Validated User
I like it too. It's nice and simple. Wouldn't be so easy in reality sadly, but in fantasy, eh, fuck slavers. :)

I need to pick it up. I read the fan translated WN, I wanna support the real thing.

Naeddyr

two
Validated User
Reincarnated As A Sword is simple, straightforward comfort food isekai. Dead slavers, the protagonist is not a wronged self-insert, it's well-crafted comfort food.

Law Orc

Quasi-Possum
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I like it too. It's nice and simple. Wouldn't be so easy in reality sadly, but in fantasy, eh, fuck slavers. :)

I need to pick it up. I read the fan translated WN, I wanna support the real thing.
I'll take overly simplistic anti-slavery crusade over Rise of the friggin' Shield Hero any day.

Top Bottom