• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

I was reincarnated as a Manga & Written Japanese discussion thread (Part 3!)

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
Been re-reading Scrapped Princess recently, and just knocked out the fourth volume.

It's been a while since I last watched the anime (maybe 6-7 years ago) so I don't want to frame this as things the anime explicitly left out, but there are a few things that really jump out at me in the novels that I don't really remember being as prominent in the adaptation.

One is Pacifica herself: I always to want to say that she's the main character, although the story only rarely takes her perspective and frankly she often times doesn't even get to do much. In some sense, the overall story is largely about how everybody else reacts to her, which isn't all that unexpected since she's basically a walking plot device. But it also serves to highlight one of the main themes, that of bonds, of human connections, and how important they become over the course of the story.

Spoiler: Show
The Peacemakers, try as they might, can't hurt Pacific directly, so they have to work through normal humans to do so. Pacifica likewise is all but powerless except for her ability to break the Peacemakers' hold on other people, so oftentimes her agency, and her very ability to survive at all, is limited to what she can do through other people. The major difference being she has to win them over using her humanity, while the Peacemakers just mind control whoever the fuck they feel like, or else create a whole religion to get their shit done.

On the other hand, I sort of feel like the way the story alienates us from Pacifica is in some way a reflection of her own alienation, her own sense of powerlessness, and the immense psychological struggles she goes through silently over having pretty much the shittiest fate in the world dumped in her lap. This is something that really comes to a head later, during the story arc where she gets amnesia and everyone who loves her sort of comes to the conclusion that they should just leave her alone and let her enjoy living a normal life again, even if it's without them, though that's still a good ways off.

But one thing this does do is that it makes the moments where we do get to see agency from her, where we do get to glimpse at what she thinks and feels, all the more powerful. The scene where she offers to let Kidaf cut off her hand in exchange for helping her find Shannon and Raquel is one of my favorites; in the anime it's probably one of the first times we see that there's a whole lot more to Pacifica than just some spoiled teenager plot device. Sometimes it feels like Shannon in particular is so protective of her that even the reader/viewer doesn't really get to see who Pacifica really is until he's not around.

Icarium

Validated User
I'll take overly simplistic anti-slavery crusade over Rise of the friggin' Shield Hero any day.
Indeed. Then again, I'll take almost anything over Shield Hero. ;P

I do like for a more ... uh, not realistic, but with verisimilitude handling, Realist Hero. He is slowly tearing down slavery and turning into a freaking social support system for the poor. It's great. ;P

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
I've been reading Kishimoto's new non-Naruto manga, Samurai 8. The plot isn't exactly innovative, but the visuals are trippy as fuck and I really want to see it animated.

acksed

Validated User
I've been reading Kishimoto's new non-Naruto manga, Samurai 8. The plot isn't exactly innovative, but the visuals are trippy as fuck and I really want to see it animated.
He always did have an eye for detail, and if he's doing storyboards for this artist who seems to match his style pretty closely, expect wonders. Though it's almost got One Piece syndrome at times, where it's too detailed to work out where that line connects to this line.

Last edited:

Naeddyr

two
Validated User
I've been reading new stuff lately:

Gotoubun no Hanayome was something I'd bounced off earlier because it was giving me a headache, and it still is, trying to keep everything straight in my mind, but I guess it's ok.

Just now read Spy X Family which is kind of great. Highly recommended. Short story long: in an alternative (not communist) West Germany, the spy Twilight gets a mission to infiltrate a school in order to come in contact with a politicians... And he has to get a kid and marry to do that. So he goes to an orphanage.. And picks up, unknowingly, an escaped psychic girl, who loves spy stuff. And then he goes to a clothing store and picks up a new wife, who is secretly a socially clueless assassin trying to find herself her own murder-beard. Can be read gratis on https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/titles/100056 Shueisha's Mangaplus.

Also read Ao no Flag, which is shounen romance manga love polygon, where parts of the polygon are LGBT. I really liked it, but there's a bunch of gay depression and some of the characters have weird homophobia apologia dialogues which annoyed me, it was like something from the early 00's or late 90's.

ecs05norway

Validated User
I've been enjoying "The Magic In This Other World Is Too Far Behind" recently.

At first it looks like one of the standard isekai's -- Dude, Girlfriend, and Other Dude, all get summoned to Fantasy World, and Dude is the Destined Hero who is going to defeat the Demon Lord.

Girlfriend is all over this idea, and joins enthusiastically in his lessons, learning magic alongside him and enjjoying the heck out of things.

Other Dude... has other ideas. He thinks that "defeating the demon lord" is impossible and suicidal, and just wants them all sent home.
When he's told there isn't a way, he says he's going to find one himself.

Now, in most isekai stories, this would be where he disappears, then turns up 10-12 episodes later working for the bad guy who has promised to send him home if he helps them win. Nope. Not this dude.

You see, Other Dude was already a Mage, and magic in his modern world is hidden by a Masquerade like most Urban Fantasy realms. And he's just honestly determined to find them a way home, and a decent guy who is rather shocked by how absolutely primitive the magic here is compared to what he's used to from a society that's spent a hundred years applying the Scientific Method to magic.

And he goes off to have his own adventure searching the land for the magical lore that will let him build a spell to take them home.

darkgloomie

Un-jiggly
Validated User
I've been enjoying "The Magic In This Other World Is Too Far Behind" recently.

At first it looks like one of the standard isekai's -- Dude, Girlfriend, and Other Dude, all get summoned to Fantasy World, and Dude is the Destined Hero who is going to defeat the Demon Lord.

Girlfriend is all over this idea, and joins enthusiastically in his lessons, learning magic alongside him and enjjoying the heck out of things.

Other Dude... has other ideas. He thinks that "defeating the demon lord" is impossible and suicidal, and just wants them all sent home.
When he's told there isn't a way, he says he's going to find one himself.

Now, in most isekai stories, this would be where he disappears, then turns up 10-12 episodes later working for the bad guy who has promised to send him home if he helps them win. Nope. Not this dude.

You see, Other Dude was already a Mage, and magic in his modern world is hidden by a Masquerade like most Urban Fantasy realms. And he's just honestly determined to find them a way home, and a decent guy who is rather shocked by how absolutely primitive the magic here is compared to what he's used to from a society that's spent a hundred years applying the Scientific Method to magic.

And he goes off to have his own adventure searching the land for the magical lore that will let him build a spell to take them home.
I think I remember this one. Is one of the character a female court magician who uses fire spells?

Icarium

Validated User
I liked the premise really, but I got tired of him doing the 'lots of girls around him and yet nothing ever happens' thing, so dropped it.

ecs05norway

Validated User
I think I remember this one. Is one of the character a female court magician who uses fire spells?
Yes, the court mage of the kingdom they started in. She follows him around a bit.

I liked the premise really, but I got tired of him doing the 'lots of girls around him and yet nothing ever happens' thing, so dropped it.
I dunno. I'm only three books into the series (picking it up in hardcopy) so I haven't gotten to the point you appear to have.

Shay Guy

Validated User
Hunter × Hunter volume 8: In which Togashi fuels the Gon/Killua ship (#1 on AO3, no surprise), Ging pretty much sucks, the world continues to be deeply disturbing in its casual attitude to killing, Baise gives me reason to suspect she's quite popular among certain fans, Nen proves excellent copy protection for JS1 games, the Internet uses a surprising amount of Shockwave, page 119 is damn near impossible to figure out the intended reading order for, unlicensed Hunters are apparently a thing, and the kids are bad with money.

The Last Saiyuki chapter 21: There are 864,000 seconds in 10 days.

Twelve [REDACTED]s apparently lasted much less than a second, and we have no indication of a lower bound.

The yikes emoticon doesn't seem adequate.

Top Bottom